Sponsored by:

Meteor Grey Metallic 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
kfliebl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meteor Grey Metallic 997 TT

New poster to forum but been reading it a while. I have owned a 928, 928S, 993 S and now a 997 TT. Anyways I had a little fender bender where I got rear ended sitting at a stop light. There was no body or frame damage and the car was fixed with all bolt on OEM parts. The insurance company would not pay for a new rear bumper cover so I paid out of pocket instead of repairing. I took the car to a local shop in the San Francisco Bay area and it looks to me that they had trouble matching the paint tint. Have any of you guys had trouble with this color? I really like this car and it is pretty cherry besides this problem. any recommendations?
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 183 Posts

That part of the bumper even in an all original paint could have slightly different shade not to mention a resprayed panel. I think it's just the way the bumper comes and attaches to the rear quarter panel.

Having said that, there shouldn't be any problem finding a good body shop especially in a car enthusiast state like CA to have this bumper re done.

I would suggest, attending one of those Sat morning car meets and ask people over there.

Hope that helps ?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
kfliebl
Track Day

Thanks. I brought it back to the shop that fixed it the first time and they agreed the color match was off. They are going to try again...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Tinting is key. Top pro painters know how to do this, and will do multiple variances to the formula, then have a card for you, them and one other set of eyes to see against the panels before they paint.

Make sure they are using Glasurit, Spies-Hecker or similar product, and not some off-brand crap. And be sure they don't cheap out on the clear. I've seen great paint jobs ruined by some goofball cutting corners using 'Bubba's Clear' instead of the good stuff - mostly because the real good stuff is so damn expensive.

Good luck.

Good lookin' turbo by the way - now come into my office and get some clear sidemarkers.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
kfliebl
Track Day

Default 3 Months

3 months in the shop for a bumper scratch. I took my car to another shop in Northern California that was mentioned on the Rennlist boards as the best. I am picking up the car tommorow and will post a pic, see what you guys think. The shop said the car has a pearl coat and is tricky. I think it may still be off. Has anyone here had a meteor grey car painted right?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Cevin
6th Gear

Do you still have the original scratched bumper for paint comparisons? See if it was "off" too.

I was at a top end body shop where they demonstrated how the orientation of how a part is painted makes the paint (in their case metallic) look different. They painted two identical bumpers with the same paint gun at the same time. The only difference was one bumper was oriented as if it were on the car (the orientation of how it's painted at the factory) and the other bumper was draped over one of those panel horses where the license plate side is pointing to the sky. Once all the painting/clearcoating was finished and dried, they alternately put both bumpers on the car. The one that was oriented correctly looked the best. Amazing demonstration. They explained it as how the metallic "lays" on the panel at different angles.

I like the idea of checking with other car guys for the location of high end shops.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
kfliebl
Track Day

Default Well

Another poor match, 31 days in the shop for dissapointment. This is going on 3 months now, 3 different paint jobs and its pretty pathetic. You guys can send me a message if your in norcal and want to know what shops not to take your car to.

Quick Reply: Meteor Grey Metallic 997 TT