Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 AM
nflpats
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake noise

997.2 Turbo

Ok, I just installed the Hawk HPS pads today and now when I come to a complete stop and let off the brake pedal, I hear a popping sound. I re-installed the pads twice and still the same problem. I believe it is from the pads have too much play or the spring is not holding the pads in place correctly. Will this go away once the pads seat them selves? The pads did not come with shims and the ones on the OEM were glued to the back.

Also, I have been noticing a ticking sound when I am driving, once I apply the brakes, the ticking gets faster.

Does anyone have any idea as to what these noises might be?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by nflpats
997.2 Turbo

Ok, I just installed the Hawk HPS pads today and now when I come to a complete stop and let off the brake pedal, I hear a popping sound. I re-installed the pads twice and still the same problem. I believe it is from the pads have too much play or the spring is not holding the pads in place correctly. Will this go away once the pads seat them selves? The pads did not come with shims and the ones on the OEM were glued to the back.

Also, I have been noticing a ticking sound when I am driving, once I apply the brakes, the ticking gets faster.

Does anyone have any idea as to what these noises might be?
Reads like one or more pads is not seated properly. I'm not talking about bedded in but seated, or maybe a better word is installed properly.

Are you sure the replacement pad backing plates match the backing plates of the original pads? If the backing plates do not match up well the replacement pads the brake pads can move about in the cavity designed to hold them/locate them.

Also, a pad spring may not be installed correctly or the retaining pin not threaded through the pad spring correctly or the pin is loose because the pin spring clip came loose and so on.

The suspected brakes need to be closely examined for any of the above and anything else wrong.

Sincerely

Macster.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 AM
nflpats
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked everything twice and found that the pads move ever so slightly up and down and I can hear the pads hitting the stop pins. I have ordered a different set of pads to try on Sat. Hopefully that does the trick, if so, I'll be returning the Hawk pads.

Quick Reply: Brake noise