Sponsored by:

Turbo newbie question re: diminished value insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Turbo newbie question re: diminished value insurance

What is the general consensus here regarding a diminished value rider on your Turbo coverage? The company I have EVERYTHING else with does not offer it. How many of you carry it? Pros? Cons? Is it worth going to another company?
TIA

Last edited by Porsche 25th; 07-23-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
What is the general consensus here regarding a diminished value rider on your Turbo coverage? The company I have EVERYTHING else with does not offer it. How many of you carry it? Pros? Cons? Is it worth going to another company?
TIA
Many USA insurance companies are pulling back offering diminished value (DV) coverage or specifically stating in the fine print they will not allow a claim for DV.

The thinking is the car is repaired to its pre-collision condition therefore there is no DV and no reason to offer any insurance for it or to even allow a claim for it.

But often the quality of the repair is not up to par and well there's DV from that.

Even if if the repair is high quality because of the history many people have with poor accident repairs a prospective car buyer just hearing/knowing a car was in an accident the quality of the repair is moot. The car has a stigma that results in a DV.

Anyhow, if your insurance company does not offer DV and you want DV shop around and see what you can get in terms of insurance comparable to what you now have and with DV. See if the new company and its pricing for regular insurance and DV is worth the cost of changing insurance companies. Mind you consider the rep of the company you might be moving to compared to the rep of the company you're moving away from.

Also, be aware that while DV might be offered today the company could possibly decide to drop the DV coverage and then you'd be with a new company sans DV. You would have gone through the trouble of switching for naught.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Macster. I will probably stay with my current company and try to avoid crashing the car!

Quick Reply: Turbo newbie question re: diminished value insurance