Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke out the back end ... Why ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default White smoke out the back end ... Why ??

My 2009 Turbo has about 13K miles on it.

I have noticed that occasionally I get a great deal of white smoke out the exhaust when I start it up in the garage. Not often ... but, maybe once a week (?) ... and eventually, I get an "low oil" message on the dash.

I typically toss in just under a quart. I've done this 2-3 times since I've had the car. So, every 3 - 4 thousand miles?

Why is the car using oil ... or blowing it out the rear of the car? Not a big deal, but disconcerting.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White smoke is normal.....warning lights, not so much. Please check and top off your oil level more often. Nothing to worry about......best,
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steamboat
White smoke is normal.....warning lights, not so much. Please check and top off your oil level more often. Nothing to worry about......best,
Thanx, man .... I know that I should look at the oil level more frequently, but I'm surprised that the car uses/blow ANY oil.

Only seem to happen when the car sits for a day or two.

Why would this happen?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm, why does the dog lick.......? No, seriously, oil consumption in 911's is all over the map. Some use a lot, others very little. No worries as long as you stay on top of it. I've heard too may explanations about why there's white smoke to even have a plausible explanation. Sorry.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

whenever i let my 911 sit i would get more white smoke on startup... someone explained it in detail to me one time but i forgot.

basically oil consumption is normal.... on the 09TT (engine like 08- NA vehicles) the oil reading is very finicky, come home from a drive, turn the car off... wait 5-10 minutes and then go out and check it.. thats the most accurate way (level surface)

the DFI engines read a little better.. but do the above and you'll get a perfect reading every time.

non DFI i burnt 1qt every 1200 miles
DFI i burnt 1qt every 600 miles
both N.A so i would expect FI to be more.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

My TT doesn't burn all that much oil. About 3/4 quart in ~2500-3000 miles.

Could be that we rev the cars more than a Prius, too. But, the white smoke must be some oil is leaking down into the cylinders for some reason.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
My TT doesn't burn all that much oil. About 3/4 quart in ~2500-3000 miles.

Could be that we rev the cars more than a Prius, too. But, the white smoke must be some oil is leaking down into the cylinders for some reason.
White smoke on startup is typical with the boxer engine - there have been lots of posts about this. It only occurs with mine (2008 TT) when I start the engine cold, reposition it it in the garage and shut down after about 30 seconds. If I start it up after about an hour I'll always get a plume of white smoke.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

At 50K miles, burn 1 qt per nine thousand miles.
White smoke on startup about once a week or 2 weeks, depends.
I don't even pay attention to it any more.
Happened for the last 350K miles, 20 years and 3 Porsches.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The longer you let the motor cool down at idle before shutting it down, the less smoke at the next startup- in my experience...
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Condensation builds up after letting the car sit for a while. A small amout of white smoke isn't a big deal. No need to worry.

Jay
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Condensation builds up after letting the car sit for a while. A small amout of white smoke isn't a big deal. No need to worry.

Jay
For those who have experienced this, it doesn't appear to be condensation and it is by no means a small amount of white smoke. It's a random occurrence and really doesn't matter if car was sitting for a while or not.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

It may not be 'abnormal' or any big 'worry' but for $165k+ it is certainly not 'right' either.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
My 2009 Turbo has about 13K miles on it.

I have noticed that occasionally I get a great deal of white smoke out the exhaust when I start it up in the garage. Not often ... but, maybe once a week (?) ... and eventually, I get an "low oil" message on the dash.

I typically toss in just under a quart. I've done this 2-3 times since I've had the car. So, every 3 - 4 thousand miles?

Why is the car using oil ... or blowing it out the rear of the car? Not a big deal, but disconcerting.
Well, the smoking issue has been I think covered. I can only add, well, repeat, that it appears to be normal. But I want to stress this is the case only with the absence of other signs of engine distress.

If the smoking is just upon engine start -- after the car/engine has sat a while unused/unstarted -- if the smoking is short lived and does not occur any other other time, if the check engine light or any other warning light doesn't come, the smoking symptom is normal.

There are things you can do the possibly minimize the frequency and severity of the symptom.

What I wanted to touch upon is I fail to understand why wait until the low oil level warning light comes on to add oil? I can't put my hands on it but somewhere there's a caveat against relying upon the low oil level light as a trigger point to add oil.

The oil level should be monitored regularly -- how regularly depends upon the rate at which the engine consumes oil -- and oil added *before* the low oil level warning light comes on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
slawus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
The longer you let the motor cool down at idle before shutting it down, the less smoke at the next startup- in my experience...
BINGO ! my Friend
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I've tho't about this for a couple days.

I think it has to do with the Boxser engine design and that horizontally laid out motors will allow for oil leak down. And, when you fire it up ... the engine burns it off.

I don't think it has anything to do with how long the car 'sits'. I had it twice in 2days .... then nothing for a week or so.

Hence, the quart added incrementally along the waiting for service tag to appear.

JMO ... no science, just guessing.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the back end ... Why ??