Sponsored by:

Aftermarket LED tailights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Nick sorry but I have no real experience with LED lights other than a small Christmas tree we had in the office this year.. : )

But If you do a search in the 996 forum you will find some info on installing LED rear lights in a 996.

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7943461

However I don't think that a plug n play conversion kit exists, and usually people play with resistors to prevent hyper flash or fault messages etc.

IMO to much trouble for nothing.. Led lights will never look "period correct" in a 996 and I also think that the standard lights look better..
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought to post this here. Not the same manufacturer. Came in with all proper hardware and worked out of the box. Functionality differences vs above discussed on fellow 911uk board.
Attached Images    
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dectane lights yes?
Post some pics in operation. I have been wondering about them as reports are sketchy. The night pic you posted is for driving lights. With the break pedal depressed, I think not the whole triangle lights up, only the wedge side?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Altho, I appreciate the effort and the result ... I am not a fan of this particular LED tail light effect.

I know that many like the white target inside the red outline, but I don't care for it in the day light.

There are so many cars with LEDs that look grand, and then there are these. I'm sorry to be a non-fan, but I am.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
I recently received and installed my new LED taillights. This is a topic which has not been discussed in this forum, and I think for reasons of proper indexing and searching, I would make a post.

I am very excited, I believe it updates the whole rear end. All issues with replacing filament bulbs with LEDs and the relevant resistor issues have been solved. As these were purchased from a sponsor of another forum, I will not be disclosing any info on the source.

Of course you are welcome to comment on the looks, I know some will like and some will dislike, but at the end of the day, this is a plastic part which can be changed back at any time. So novelty wins for me. When I am bored and my car becomes a classic, I will change them back!!

And of course there is always Ebay! I just want to point out that on the lower photo (on the first post) the LED lights look crooked when the brakes were pressed. They are not that crooked at all (I also have them installed). For some reason it just appears that way on this particuler photo. In the other photos the LED's look fine. The variations in some of the LED's are there (like mine) but have no effect on making them look out of alignment when viewed in person. I understand they are in the works for a 996 version too. Should be interesting.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:49 PM
faiz
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone seen both rotec and dectane led tails in person? I want to know which leds look better. From certain angles the rotec leds look to far apart when not on during braking
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
saba
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faiz
Has anyone seen both rotec and dectane led tails in person? I want to know which leds look better. From certain angles the rotec leds look to far apart when not on during braking
I have had both, but went with the dectane (for US www.carlightpro.com). They are higher quality, I don't like the idea to put a red painted bulb in for fog light and they are just looking more like the OEM 997.2

!

Last edited by saba; 05-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Be careful Saba, it is my impression from other forums that you are affiliated with them. So making comments about quality should be done veeeery carefully.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
faiz
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

agreed......i dont think u can give an objective opinion......
Old 07-14-2011, 01:54 AM
nine-eleven911
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dianic View Post
I recently received and installed my new LED taillights. This is a topic which has not been discussed in this forum, and I think for reasons of proper indexing and searching, I would make a post.

I am very excited, I believe it updates the whole rear end. All issues with replacing filament bulbs with LEDs and the relevant resistor issues have been solved. As these were purchased from a sponsor of another forum, I will not be disclosing any info on the source.

Of course you are welcome to comment on the looks, I know some will like and some will dislike, but at the end of the day, this is a plastic part which can be changed back at any time. So novelty wins for me. When I am bored and my car becomes a classic, I will change them back!!

Dear Dianic,
were your led lights fixed using the control modules coupled withe PIWIS coding or was it a plug and play using resistors and a play of wires. Your advice would be very helpful.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

No coding required. Plug and play. Resistors built in so really plug and play.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 AM
nine-eleven911
4th Gear

No coding required. Plug and play. Resistors built in so really plug and play.
Thanks Dianic. Your answers have answered one of my prayers that a plug and play conversion is possible. I was told by my led light supplier that a plug and play was possible however until your response, i was doubtful because what i had read seemed to indicate the use of control modules and recoding by the PIWIS scanner. From where i come from, led light conversions have never been done before. In fact my supplier was honest to inform me that my car would be the first to have it done. As such i needed to know as a fact that conversion using resistors had been done and worked perfectly. Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 AM
nine-eleven911
4th Gear

Btw, Dianic,

what was the cost for the lights ?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Hmmm I am not sure you are clear on this. My lights are not the factory leds. They are aftermarket. Factory leds do need coding I believe and some extra modules.

I bought my lights from a group buy on another forum so I wont divulge details here out of respect for sponsors.
Similar lights as you will see above are availble in Europe at a much lower price and you also avoid customs. Do a search and you will find details. If u buy on eBay be careful you get the last version with built in resistors.

If you need further help pm me.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmmm I am not sure you are clear on this. My lights are not the factory leds. They are aftermarket. Factory leds do need coding I believe and some extra modules.

I bought my lights from a group buy on another forum so I wont divulge details here out of respect for sponsors.
Similar lights as you will see above are availble in Europe at a much lower price and you also avoid customs. Do a search and you will find details. If u buy on eBay be careful you get the last version with built in resistors.

If you need further help pm me.
The LED taillight that are the topic of this discussion are for the 997.1 - they are direct replacement - remove old, install new - no programming needed, no warning lights. 997.2 OEM LED taillights won't work on 997.1 unless you replace the rear bumper - they are a different shape.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LED tailights