Sponsored by:

Another aftermarket exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Another aftermarket exhaust thread

I know this topic has been beat to death - but I am having a heck of a time choosing a muffler from sound clips off the internet - and no one around here has an aftermarket exhaust system on a 997.2 TT that I can hear live.

I am not a kid...(read not crazy about loud) have a cab, want no drone, no CEL, but a nice burble on idle and rasp when accelerating. Hp & Torque gain OK...but not the primary driver to this decision - but rather to have an exhaust tone to match the power from these cars.

Does anyone have some clever way to seperate the players in this market so I can make the right choice. I liked the A.W.E video - didn't seem too loud under idle and then putting the car through its paces - and spoke this afternoon to a very happy customer to boot - but that is all I got at this time. Any great idea that can push me to the right unit - or should I just leave well enough alone and live with the sound I got.

I wish Porsche had the old 'Motor Sound Package' option I had on my 993 C4S... it was only $ 1,200.00 option as I remember
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I just replied to your thread on another site
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SpeedTech X-over quiet. Look for recent post by Mikelly that detailed his experience with it (along with 5 other systems prior).
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is "limited" to Europipe, and all I can say is wow, I dont need to look ANY further.
Stef of Europipe ensured that I had the most pleasant buying experience, even if I ended up buying used form one of his clients, and he has won a customer for life. His service, workmanship and result exceeded even my high expectations and I recommend him as a very pleased customer.

I am however located in Europe and Europipe is a Belgian company so there are currency differences and transport issues which you are facing and I did not...

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket exhaust

I have a 2011 turbo on order and will do a Fabspeed exhaust, however, not the X pipe. I currently have a C4S with Fabspeed headers, X pipe with sport cats and EVO ECU and I will admit it is too loud. Great noise on accelaration, however, too much baseline noise on the highway. Given that you are looking for nothing but sound improvement I would suggest you seek out a few turbos in your area via the local PCA chapter or even on Ebay and go listen to the cars as a passenger. It will be a costly mistake if you don't like the end result.

I will acknowledge that overall I have been very pleased with Fabspeed and I sought out the X pipe; it was not something they pushed. This is such a personal preference issue that it is really difficult for anyone to give you "advice." In a cab I would be very conservative.

I also had a 993 with the motor sound and any 997 aftermarket exhaust is going to be substantially more noise.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I like Fabspeed as well. I put their high-flow cats (and a Capristo race exhaust) on my 430.

iJeremy is having a sale on all the Fabspeed parts, so I ordered a set of muffler bypass pipes for my new-to-me daily driver 07 TT (just picked it up this morning!).

-mike
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the Milltek and I'm pretty happy with it. Not too loud and nice tone. This vid is a fairly good representation of the Milltek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_LO326QVsA (this may actually sound a tad louder than actual especially in the cabin where I don't find it loud or bothersome). No direct experience with anything else.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
pureporsche
Intermediate

I recently bought a '07 TT (Coupe) and am running a TechArt exhaust + high flow cats. Also not a kid and not a big fan of noise. The sound from the TechArt system is subtle however from the outside it's definitely noticeable, as I've been told by friends. Definitely sounds like a super car (outside). Inside it's quiet, specifically on long drives. In my opinion it's one of the best Tuners. Quality and looks can't be beat!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

So Overdraft what did you go with? My 2011 Turbo is in build status and I would love to hear your thoughts on whatever you purchased. I read tons of positives about Europipe and am debating straying from Fabspeed for the first time.

Anybody know the real implications of 100 vs 200 cell cats other than less backpressure? i.e. any downsides to the lower cell count?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDoc
So Overdraft what did you go with? My 2011 Turbo is in build status and I would love to hear your thoughts on whatever you purchased. I read tons of positives about Europipe and am debating straying from Fabspeed for the first time.

Anybody know the real implications of 100 vs 200 cell cats other than less backpressure? i.e. any downsides to the lower cell count?
The explanation of cat size on the Europipe website has lots of good info.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDoc

Hey Doc...ended up buying a BBI out of California. After listening to sound clip after sound clip and speaking with four differant muffler clients from differnant manufacturers - I chose the BBI primarily because liked the level of sound at idle, full throttle and (none) at highway cruising. Re-using the existing OEM cats was a great concept with NO CEL. Some guys may find it a little quiet but it was perfect for me. Betim the company's principal has an excellent history with Porsche NA and the racing program so it all added up to me buying there...not to say other systems aren't equally good - its just this one was right for me. Anybody else bought a BBI before?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 AM
997inTO
Racer

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Hey Doc...ended up buying a BBI out of California. After listening to sound clip after sound clip and speaking with four differant muffler clients from differnant manufacturers - I chose the BBI primarily because liked the level of sound at idle, full throttle and (none) at highway cruising. Re-using the existing OEM cats was a great concept with NO CEL. Some guys may find it a little quiet but it was perfect for me. Betim the company's principal has an excellent history with Porsche NA and the racing program so it all added up to me buying there...not to say other systems aren't equally good - its just this one was right for me. Anybody else bought a BBI before?
Never heard of them! I'm in t.o. I have a NHP exhaust on my turbo! If your local you should come out to the sat morning meet!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the Europipe exhaust that is absolutely fantastic. Not too loud, and no drone. With a touch of that "Air Cooled" sound that we all seek. Just had Fabspeed Headers installed that added the right touch of base to the sound note. And on down shifts you get that kick back of gurgles and pops that just enhances the overall experience. Check out the video on You Tube. Ultimately you have to make your own decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4xKoUnD21Qw

Jay
Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Europipe.

I have a virtually new one for sale (less than 1000 miles) because I am selling my 997.2 Turbo. Absolutely the best exhaust around for the Turbo.

If anyone's interested just let me know.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
nflpats
Intermediate

What are you asking for the Europipe? Will it fit the 2011

Quick Reply: Another aftermarket exhaust thread