Sponsored by:

Europipe Stage 1 installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Europipe Stage 1 installed!

Installed my new to me europipe 3 days ago, and have been to busy driving to write about it!! In a nutshell, what a spectacular transformation!

But here it goes, from the beginning:

When I got my car last summer, the first thing I noticed and had also read about it, is that the exhaust note of the turbo left a lot to be desired. And when I heard it first hand, I couldnt agree more. My previous 997 C4S had the factory sport exhaust, and I ended driving around with the unplug mod, which basically left the sport exhaust on all the time (just unplug little orange plugin engine compartment and the flaps stay open all the time). I recall that sound fondly! The NA engine sounds great!

So after reading around a lot, and listening to crappy videos with exhaust notes, I decided that as build quality, and sound characteristics, as well as location of manufacture (for customs reasons) europipe was my manufacturer of choice. However, as most of you may not be aware, we have a wonderful tax in Europe which is called Value Added Tax (VAT) which unlike your single digit state taxes, that one is in the 23% level currently in Greece. Now that is a LOT. And adding that on top of an expensive exhaust as it was (no argument that you get what you pay for though so no complaints) was yielding a pretty big total to swallow. So I decided I was going to look for a slightly used system.

In my search I came across a used stage 2 here in Greece and another one in the UK on ebay. So I called Stef at europipe for an opinion and more info. So speaking to him, I did realize that what I was really after was a Stage 1. He said that as people were trading up to the 997.2, some stage 1 used systems were bound to come to the market. That was back in September or so I think...

Well at the beginning of December, I got an email form Stef saying that one of his clients in Belgium was replacing a TT with a GT3 and he was taking out the Stage 1 from his TT before trading it in. We sent me pictures, cleaned the exhaust (understatement of the year: made it look like NEW) and we struck a deal with the seller. I paid Stef for his installation kit, and shipping, and my exhaust was in the mail like the last gift that Santa was going to deliver!

Took it to the shop for installation this week, and stayed for the few hours it took them to install it. I have the necessary pics, but havent downloaded them - I think they add little value, we have all seen countless exhaust install pics. But the driving experience is worth describing:

First start after the install, and the engine is cold again. And you do recall that even factory exhaust sounds loud when the car is cold. If you are parking in an enclosed garage, that morning startup is an experience. Growl? Howl? LOUD! Gargling! You think you are in a race car. And wake up the neighbors... Super! However, thankfully (I am not looking for a head turner) it quiets down after a few mins. Overall, the exhaust tone just got 2 octaves deeper, with a lot more base. That is why the tiny computer speakers (or even the cam mics to be honest) cant capture it on the vids we have seen! You need a subwoofer to hear that low.
Everyone says you can hear the turbo's more. Thats an understatement as well! 2000-3000 rpm is my favorite range for in town driving right now. That turbo sound spooling is so addictive!
Kickdowns are much smother as well. At ridiculous speeds (which I will not quantify) the kicdown from 5th to 4th is almost immediate, all it takes is small pedal movement. Of course at those ridiculous speeds, the car is moving too fast for the sound of the exhaust to make a difference, but judging from tunnel driving, the car sounds great to those who are being passed! In my stint yesterday I was in a tunnel with a 458 Italia (so much for crisis ridden Greece) as we both dropped to third and accelerated. I cannot say that the sound from my car covered the howl of the Ferrari in a tunnel, but both where clearly audible and distinguishable, as their pitch is so different.

Overall, during in town driving, the car sounds throatier. The throttle response is more imminent, and the car feels stronger. A quick start at a traffic light feels like the car is faster, and it sounds so much better, without it being a head turner which is exactly what I wanted in the first place. Shifting is smoother, and dare I say quicker?

I am 100% pleased with my choice and I absolutely need to thank Stef, who not only guided me a few months ago but also sourced an exhaust for me. Dealing with him was an absolute pleasure, and the exhaust I received, although with 10,000 kms was like new. From screw heads which seemed new, to all hardware and straps on the exhaust was polished to perfection. Packaging was amazing, seemed like a custom made heavy duty cardboard enclosure.

I am now convinced that Santa does exist. It doesnt matter that I paid for my present, santa made it appear just in time for the New Year. So at least someone thinks I was nice last year!!

Pics and vid to follow soon.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Europipe sets the bar pretty high and is usually the standard against which other exhausts are compared.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Its not only the quality of the build, its the service overall. The work Stef did in repackaging a used exhaust was stellar, his communication was excellent, he negotiated a deal and was fair to both parties.

A couple of years ago you told me you were going to visit Greece! I am still around Elia!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Still planning to "come home"... I will be sure to send you a PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the new EP on my 997.2TT and I am very pleased. Helped transform the car.

Enjoy it !
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

They are very good indeed. Good choice!
Νικολα, I am driving there this week to hear it in person, and collect my drinks too. : )

Btw if Lewis appears here I promise to send a Cayenne from my office with a disposable driver to pick him up from the airport, just to break the ice and make him feel right at home
Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

HAHA... right. Would have used mine but I sold it recently!

John I am flying to Doha tomorrow, will be back end of the week. So, raincheck for the soundcheck this week?

Thanks Bosco, same to you!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

Btw if Lewis appears here I promise to send a Cayenne from my office with a disposable driver to pick him up from the airport, just to break the ice and make him feel right at home
Cayenne? I would rather walk
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

and the gratuitous shots of the install...

The tool kit that europipe sends out with the exhausts

Do you believe this is a used exhaust with 10k kms on it? Thanks for making it like new again Stef.

the powdercoated wheel

nekkid

Old on the floor

new in place

and tips

and the first crank after install...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6vGD2vEC0
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks like a clean install. Enjoy and drive her well.

Jay
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Life is good with Europipe.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993S
Life is good with Europipe.
Are you holding back Denis? So i take you've got it on? Completely lost for words?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

yes-yes-yes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

So where is the full write up? and the thread with the pics? I know I havent been around as I have been busy at work... but heck cmon post them up Denis!

Heya Paul how are things down under?

You still on for your trip?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am fine nick. And yes, inbound soon...

Quick Reply: Europipe Stage 1 installed!