Sponsored by:

Manual Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Jp's garage is awesome, no doubt. The PDK is very fast on the track in the cars I've driven, esp in the sport plus mode. The power band is tight, lightning fast sifts, and all the rest. However, the emotion of the drive one gets with a 6 speed gt1 car is gone. I'll keep mine for some time.
Remember, when Porsche had to "get it done on the 'ring", they used the old reliable gt1 and g50 tranny combo in the gt2rs. A slap in the face to the df1/pdk, you decide?
That's hardly a condemnation of the new engine and PDK transmission.

Cars that are required to "get it done on the 'ring" have quite different requirements for cars that see the 'ring seldom to never.

For the overwhelming majority of us, our cars must deliver acceptable driving experience under the more common conditions the vast majority of us subject our cars to.

No doubt one overriding desire for the GT2RS was low weight and the PDK adds IIRC 60lbs of weight over the 6-speed manual. That would have dropped the approx. 150lbs of weight savings over the GT2 to around 90lbs.

Also, the GT2RS's target market has to be drivers who focus on the DIY shifting thing and they can, at a cost of $199.9K Euros (omg), get their shifting kicks.

While I could see myself taking my 996 Turbo to the 'ring (should I ever be able to afford the costs that is) but I dare say I'd not be too into using the GT2RS (should I ever of course be able to afford one) as my daily driver even though both cars have similar 6-speed manual transmissions.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
^off topic...what do you do with the GT3RS if you have a CaymanS labeled as a track car????and if you are not tracking it then why own it????
I track that as well, but I feel with the Cayman that I have set up for track duty only... I can push myself more because if I reck it I can buy another and swap all the good stuff over to the next car. Right now with the RS, I still have that little voice in my head that keeps me from pushing it 10/10ths.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

I drove the PDK; admittedly only in a Carrera S but there are no turbo PDKs around for "test drives." I acknowledge lightning fast shifts and certainly vastly better than a tiptronic. However, still a bore to drive and far from perfect. The engine braking seems less substantial than my manual C4S when I downshift and I can't figure out why. At stops the PDK has a feeling of hesitation or verging on a stall as if the clutch is not releasing soon enough. I actually felt disconnected and less in control of the car in a PDK compared to a manual. This may be my lack of experience driving a PDK, however, it was enough to convince me that it is right for the person who wants to put it in drive and never give it another thought but not for me. I would hate to drive a PDK in any kind of bad weather. I once got caught in 3 in. of snow in my 996 turbo manual and had no problem whatsoever getting home. The PDK would scare the heck out of me in any weather given how it felt so detached. I really can't believe the rave reviews on PDK because it is far from perfect in real daily use; probably better when you are on a track keeping the RPMs above 4K at all times. Finally I felt like I was adjusting my driving style to accomodate the peculiarities of the transmission and the steering wheel shifter without the paddles really is horrendous. Listening to it click as you shift made me want to call PCNA and shout are you serious? This is what enthusiasts really want? You only buy a PDK without the paddles if your intention is to never shift the thing.

The dealer says I am a "purist." I say I enjoy driving rather than having the car drive for me. I told the dealer to call PCNA and give me a date for a Turbo S manual. I fully expect a reply Monday morning that Porsche never intends to build the car I desire. Very disappointing.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

You're on it Doc. I went from a c2 996 to a 997tt. The 997 is less of a sports car and more of a luxury car. It's telling when you see all the boy-racer options like carbon fiber trim bits. My buddy's 993 is in another league.

The pdk is for the masses. It makes life easier and sells more cars to people who are more about show than go. It is a wise economics choice for Porsche, not a aficionado choice.

I'm sure there are plenty of hard core drivers who prefer the pdk and that's their choice - and if i physically couldn't shift anymore, I'd play with paddles too - but a lot of the posts I read about pdk are from people who are concerned about deviated stitching, after market wheels and other aspects of how the car LOOKS, not how it drives.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 161 Posts

Any new Porsche PDK or no, is hardly for the masses. Very few of the masses buy 160k sports cars. Only idiots like us.
For most some form of automatic shifting results in a superior experience. Porsche makes a very hp car for those who like to shift and are "purists". It's called a GT3RS. I own one.The best manual shifting car I have driven. So quit whining.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

I have lusted in my heart for a GT3RS.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

If you take the Turbo allocation and load it up with S options, all you're missing is 30HP, the two-tone interior and an S badge. If the S had a very different exterior trim or had 60+ more HP, I'd be pissed as well. For the minor differences, I don't see it as a big deal. I'm just glad we can still get Turbo's with manual transmissions. I'm sure if the 10% of the people buying the 6-speed falls to 5% or less, the Turbo manual will become a thing of the past.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

I did take the manual turbo allocation and load the car with both mechanical and cosmetic upgrades from Porsche. Can you believe the PCNA rep suggested that if I was that bothered by the difference in performance that I consider ECU modifications? Sure, then when the something fails they void my warranty. I will do a Fabspeed exhaust up front and maybe an EvoMS ECU reprogramming when the car is out of warranty.

I love the Fabspeed and EvoMS mods on my C4S, however, I don't think I need a 600 hp turbo!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:26 AM
ac27
Advanced

why would you want a turbo S when you can have a GT2 RS?

Im simply giving you a hard time....
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ac27
why would you want a turbo S when you can have a GT2 RS?

Im simply giving you a hard time....
Because he can
Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Two reasons a GT2RS doesn't work for me: Too track focused for my taste and more importantly my boys can't ride with me. I will save you all the scathing replies; I know that sounds lame. However, family is more important than any vehicle and my sons think it is a big deal when we go places in the Porsche. What good is a turbo if my family can't enjoy it with me? Recaro boosters fit great in the back; again I know and save all the ridiculous responses.

Dig the X-51 on Holli82's C2S.

Quick Reply: Manual Turbo S