Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire. Rock chip in sidewall. No spare.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBear
You are missing the cement - or glue.
^^ plug or goop wouldn't have helped in my situation, nor that of the OP per his post.

You're just SOL sometimes
Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like AAA is better than 1800 porsche
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

1 800 Porsche seems geared to get you to the dealer only--regardless of the circumstances and what be less costly and more convenient for the customer?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Just talked to a friend with Michelin. Says it was 50/50 whether the goop, with the help of 3 plugs, would have held. Depends on the width of the gash.

We were out of cell range where it happened, so he called AAA when we got to Quincy to authorize the tow truck we had already got a hold of.

As it was Saturday and nearest Porsche dealer was 80+ miles away, not an option.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Carry a spare! Just because Porsche (and other companies) think it's fine to treat people like statistics doesn't mean you should go along with it.

Porsche thinks it's fine for 2% (a guess on my part) of guys to get their days ruined because of no spare. _I_ don't want to be among 2% of guys who get caught in a BS spare less, goop-fix-less, situation that's fine with Porsche.

On a boat? You always have personal flotation devices for everybody and they will PROBABLY never be used. You still carry them so nobody gets a ruined day (or worse).

The BS semi-nightmare situation Terry (the OP) describes above IS NOT EVER worth risking IMHO. (I'm sorry you had to go thru it Bro )

I have better things to do than get stuck somewhere because of a flat. It's on the same level getting stuck somewhere because you ran out of gas!

I have the collapsible spare in my TT. Same thing with my Bimmer: I told the sales guys I would not buy the cars unless they could fit them with an approved spare.

My repair priorities in the event of a flat:
Plugs
Plugs and goop
Spare

Sorry for the rant. We were brought up with cars that had spares. Not having a spare and getting stuck on the side of the road was thought to be IDIOTIC and MORONIC all those years.

Especially these days! Who should be expected to give up their day getting their car back on the road after a flat? Could even be a week of inconvenience until a new 19" tire is shipped in.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Just to clarify, it was a fellow group traveler got the flat. I was just trying to help out.

But you got me thinking, next time I go on one of my 3K mile road trips, maybe a spare. If it will fit.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should fit in the front... I recall coochas had a nice writeup about that a couple of years back... look it up. What happens with the luggage you take on a 3000 mile trip? Better fit in top of the rear seats I hope...
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Just to clarify, it was a fellow group traveler got the flat. I was just trying to help out.

But you got me thinking, next time I go on one of my 3K mile road trips, maybe a spare. If it will fit.
You're a good man.

BTW, the collapsible spare sits vertically in there and leaves a fair amount of room. For example: If you take your groceries out of the bag you can get maybe two bags-ful in there with it. If you get the "Boxster" spare in there it will have to be slanted and will take up all the room.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Redmist
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by LlBr
You're a good man.

BTW, the collapsible spare sits vertically in there and leaves a fair amount of room. For example: If you take your groceries out of the bag you can get maybe two bags-ful in there with it. If you get the "Boxster" spare in there it will have to be slanted and will take up all the room.
It fits vertically in where? In the front passenger footwell?

Quick Reply: Flat tire. Rock chip in sidewall. No spare.