Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding water to coolant reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Adding water to coolant reservoir?

My car had some "loose, damaged coolant fittings" or some such and was leaking some coolant on the garage. The shop fixed the problem areas, but apparently did not fill the coolant system up to proper levels. Took 3 days.

I got a "low coolant" warning light first time I drove to work .... now, it comes on every time I drive. No leaks noticed in the garage, so I suppose it's just low.

If I go to the dealer, I suppose he will want the car to cool down over night and then add whatever amount of coolant is needed. I don't want to drive all the way back, leave the car over night, drive back and get the car, yada, yada. Just inconvenient and 2-3 hours lost.

Here's what I wonder. I don't have any coolant in my garage. I wonder if I can let the car cool over night .... open the coolant reservoir and add water to bring the level up. I'm not concerned with freezing protection. And, the level is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch below minimum on the expansion tank. Can't be much fluid.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be concerned with air in the system rather than a slightly low coolant level.

I would suggest having it bled and refilled with the appropriate fluids as early as is convenient...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
My car had some "loose, damaged coolant fittings" or some such and was leaking some coolant on the garage. The shop fixed the problem areas, but apparently did not fill the coolant system up to proper levels. Took 3 days.

I got a "low coolant" warning light first time I drove to work .... now, it comes on every time I drive. No leaks noticed in the garage, so I suppose it's just low.

If I go to the dealer, I suppose he will want the car to cool down over night and then add whatever amount of coolant is needed. I don't want to drive all the way back, leave the car over night, drive back and get the car, yada, yada. Just inconvenient and 2-3 hours lost.

Here's what I wonder. I don't have any coolant in my garage. I wonder if I can let the car cool over night .... open the coolant reservoir and add water to bring the level up. I'm not concerned with freezing protection. And, the level is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch below minimum on the expansion tank. Can't be much fluid.

What are your thoughts?
Sounds ok. I'd not drive the car with that low of a coolant level.

Let engine cool down overnight. Remove coolant cap. Add distilled water. If level down below min. tank level it will take more water than you think -- the tank is pretty big. My 02 Boxster when its tank failed and allowed all the coolant in the tank to drain out it took around a gallon to refill the new tank.

You might want to make a trip to the dealer to get a gallon of Porsche anti-freeze to have around next time. I have a gallon under the kitchen sink.

Also, check coolant cap part number. If it does not end in 03 or 04 buy a new cap and when engine cool again remove old cap and replace it with the new cap.

After you top up coolant tank and replace cap keep an eye on the level. There might be a leak somewhere.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx for the recommendations. Appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Add distilled water.
This is key. Distilled water.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It is difficult to get all the air out of the system and not at all unusual for the car to "burp" after running for a while so the tank might very well have been full when it left the shop. If it is leaking it is usually quite visible and there is certainly a noticeable odor if there is antifreeze in the system. I had a tank failure on an earlier 996 and Macster is right it is HUGE. I too keep a jug of Porsche antifreeze in the garage for top ups...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had that same warning two weeks ago, just added a little antifreeze.
c
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I added about 3/4 gallon of distilled water yesterday .... drove around 25 miles and no warning light. Reservoir is still a bit below minimum level, but now at least the warning indicator is not lit.

I'll stop by Porsche and see if I can get some coolant. BTW, I guess any old coolant would work? I doubt is it needs to be "Porsche specific".

Thanx.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I added about 3/4 gallon of distilled water yesterday .... drove around 25 miles and no warning light. Reservoir is still a bit below minimum level, but now at least the warning indicator is not lit.

I'll stop by Porsche and see if I can get some coolant. BTW, I guess any old coolant would work? I doubt is it needs to be "Porsche specific".

Thanx.
Wow, that's a lot of distilled water. Must have been pretty low.

Be careful with coolant selection. Not "all" are compatible.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BD

The Porsche coolant is pink. Volkswagon sells the same stuff and its cheaper.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I stopped by the dealer ..... the added some coolant to the system. Topped it off. Said it was what you guys said ... due to some air in the system when the changed out some of the fittings that were leaking.

Thanx. All's good now.

Quick Reply: Adding water to coolant reservoir?