Sponsored by:

Advice on 07 Turbo purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Brad Baker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 07 Turbo purchase

I'm looking at a Blk/Blk 07 TT, Private seller, 3000 mi, appears to be very nice, Nicely optioned. but has some mods - Giac chip?, evo headers , evo intercoolers, Fab exhaust, techart compliant lowering springs.
Seller said all was done at dealership , at purchase. inspired by web forums when he ordered the car. Says car is babied, never raced, tracked or Dyn'od. Seems sincere on the phone. 3 hours from Home. could buy for about 90K. The Mod's mean nothing to me, But liked the car.

Should I be wary of this car? I really like the low miles and options. Is drivetrain warranty gone?

There is also a local car similar options, less adaptive seats. w/ 11K mi , similar price. dealership. I'll probably keep the car for several years. I've had my 02 C4S since new, Blk/Blk 25K mi . I'm selliing it.

I never post on here , but would appreciate some opinions.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Check on warranty situation, but I'd probably pass on a car with those types of mods unless they are something you would have done anyway.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Baker
I'm looking at a Blk/Blk 07 TT, Private seller, 3000 mi, appears to be very nice, Nicely optioned. but has some mods - Giac chip?, evo headers , evo intercoolers, Fab exhaust, techart compliant lowering springs.
Seller said all was done at dealership , at purchase. inspired by web forums when he ordered the car. Says car is babied, never raced, tracked or Dyn'od. Seems sincere on the phone. 3 hours from Home. could buy for about 90K. The Mod's mean nothing to me, But liked the car.

Should I be wary of this car? I really like the low miles and options. Is drivetrain warranty gone?

There is also a local car similar options, less adaptive seats. w/ 11K mi , similar price. dealership. I'll probably keep the car for several years. I've had my 02 C4S since new, Blk/Blk 25K mi . I'm selliing it.

I never post on here , but would appreciate some opinions.
I'm with morecarl on this one. I'd pass. Even though the car has warranty its coverage is called into question by the mods.

Given the mods -- chip, exhaust, intercoolers, springs -- if anything went wrong with the engine the warranty claim could be denied. Similarly if anything went wrong with the drivetrain because of the springs/lowering the warranty claim could be denied.

That the mods were done by the dealer means nothing unless the seller has a letter promising the mods can't or won't affect the car's warranty.

And I have to point out that 3K miles is really low miles and not enough miles to ensure all the new car bugs have been worked out of the car.

As a somewhat related example, my 03 Turbo (bought a year ago with 9500 miles) developed a leaking selector shaft seal on its transmission (6-speed) at 30K miles, along with a noisy idler roller bearing and at the same time suffered a radiator fan hub/blade assembly failure which dented (but didn't hole) a radiator. All covered under the car's CPO warranty. The selector shaft seal was fixed by fitting a new transmission. Expensive if one had to pay for it out of his pocket.

My point is at 30K miles and with the car around 7 years old only then did these problems arise, and the miles covered was the contributing factor not the time. I repeat that 3K miles is not enough miles to relax and believe the car is out of the woods regarding any new car issues.

Thus with the car you are considering I'd be darn sure its new car warranty was intact and in effect and then of course if one did buy the car to strive as best as possible to ensure the remaining warranty didn't expire on time but on miles. (My 03 now has just over 40K miles and I think I can get it to 50K by June of next year when the CPO warranty (2 years, 100K miles) expires. That is if I don't sell the car or trade it in for a newer Porsche.)

My advice is to try to find an unmolested car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'm with morecarl on this one. I'd pass. Even though the car has warranty its coverage is called into question by the mods.

Given the mods -- chip, exhaust, intercoolers, springs -- if anything went wrong with the engine the warranty claim could be denied. Similarly if anything went wrong with the drivetrain because of the springs/lowering the warranty claim could be denied.

That the mods were done by the dealer means nothing unless the seller has a letter promising the mods can't or won't affect the car's warranty.

And I have to point out that 3K miles is really low miles and not enough miles to ensure all the new car bugs have been worked out of the car.

As a somewhat related example, my 03 Turbo (bought a year ago with 9500 miles) developed a leaking selector shaft seal on its transmission (6-speed) at 30K miles, along with a noisy idler roller bearing and at the same time suffered a radiator fan hub/blade assembly failure which dented (but didn't hole) a radiator. All covered under the car's CPO warranty. The selector shaft seal was fixed by fitting a new transmission. Expensive if one had to pay for it out of his pocket.

My point is at 30K miles and with the car around 7 years old only then did these problems arise, and the miles covered was the contributing factor not the time. I repeat that 3K miles is not enough miles to relax and believe the car is out of the woods regarding any new car issues.

Thus with the car you are considering I'd be darn sure its new car warranty was intact and in effect and then of course if one did buy the car to strive as best as possible to ensure the remaining warranty didn't expire on time but on miles. (My 03 now has just over 40K miles and I think I can get it to 50K by June of next year when the CPO warranty (2 years, 100K miles) expires. That is if I don't sell the car or trade it in for a newer Porsche.)

My advice is to try to find an unmolested car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Great advice and example in a nutshell, Macster. (as usual). Good post.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As mac stated, the car has no warranty and little track record, ie miles. I'd pass.
Go Royals!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
As mac stated, the car has no warranty and little track record, ie miles. I'd pass.
Go Royals!
+1 and you really have to ask yourself if you feel comfortable with a car that has had surgery like that, even if it is at a dealer. I would only buy an unmolested example, especially since I'd probably own it longterm and "mods" don't exactly prolong everything in the car. The economy still sucks and luxury items like this are still largely a buyer's market. Look around more?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 AM
ac27
Advanced

Definitely hold off until a PPI is performed. The computer NEVER lies, however sometimes the PPI skips some small details.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:25 AM
deebster
Intermediate

ask some one like me that has a modified car.... I've got a 07 TT... when bought it had ony 2k Miles but was extensively modified just like the car you are looking at... ECU Chip programming (softronic), Agency Headers, EVOM torbo valves, H&R lowering springs, Clutch Master Fly wheels... etc the works.. ALL DONE AT THE DEALER BY THE WAY

To compare, the drive was exhalirating, the car is a monster... but was it enough that I had to spulge $1,000s of Dollars later when my whole clutch system went out.. no... When the Racing brake pads caused my rotors to crack, when the PASM Failure showed up...

And the warranty was definitely void and they refused to even extend it..

If I had to do it all over again... I would get a nice stock 997 TT, may be change the exhuast to get some sound but that would be it...

Trust me on this one...the cost of mods and fixing them should be left for the sponsored race track guys..
Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Oh and just to add... my car now has only 4,500 miles... and all these happened within a span of a year...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deebster
Oh and just to add... my car now has only 4,500 miles... and all these happened within a span of a year...
OUCH!
Good luck from here on in...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

deebster, that's what I'm talkin about!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 881 Likes on 366 Posts

I have 23k miles on my modded 997TT cab and have had no issues.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Hey Richk

Great... I'm sure us guys with Mods with love to be in your shoes... what do you done to your car??
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

keep looking, I bought my car with 900 miles on it, no mods as new for a big savings from new.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

I'm in agreement with most here...pass...those mods void the warranty and those low miles are suspect as somebody else pointed out...you can find a low mile unmolested 07 997 Turbo for somewhere between $80K-$85K...

be patient and as you get closer to the end of the year that number will drop $3K-$5K...AMAZING!

Quick Reply: Advice on 07 Turbo purchase