Sponsored by:

Porsche's Electronic Logbook... A Relatively Obscure Option Explained

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche's Electronic Logbook... A Relatively Obscure Option Explained

While speccing my TT, I ran across a fairly inexpensive option for the PCM 3 called Porsche Electronic Logbook.

Having had the desire to select all possible upgrade options for the PCM, including voice control, I ticked the box not really knowing what to expect.

Turns out, it is quite useful if you like to keep a record of your trips, etc...

I will not go into all the options and settings unless specifically requested to do so, as these are explained in the PCM user manual.

When you select this option, you receive a Windows CD with the required software to analyze retrieved files on your PC.

The basics are as follows:
The logbook keeps, as the name implies, an electronic log of all your trips with various settings you can make as to the type of trip (Business, Personal, etc...).
It also acts as a reminder for scheduling registration renewals and regulatory emissions testing.
The logbook interfaces with the PCM navigation system such that anytime you are using navigation, it records starting point address and destination automatically.
The logbook also records fuel stops if, when you stop to fuel, you specify that to the logbook.
Finally, the log file can be exported from your PCM to a suitable bluetooth device or to a suitable USB stick inserted in the slot provided under the armrest cover where the iPod sits.

Once you have the file on your PC, using the provided software, you can load it and analyze your trips and filter your data and run certain reports with a limited ability to customize the reports.

You can name your car and you have to provide the plate number. The Vin number is read automatically.

Finally, you can export the data from within the software in excel compatible, tab delimited text format.

Below is a sample report for your viewing pleasure. I deleted entries from it because they are just additional entries of different trips. I also did some formatting in excel to make it more presentable.

Last edited by k_ddsl; 06-26-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:23 PM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

Forgot to mention one cool feature: If you program the two keys you get with your car and assign a driver name to each key, the logbook will automatic identify the correct driver depending on which key was used to open the door.
I think that's pretty !
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I didn't get this option because I don't like the idea of my trips being monitored and what this info could be used for. But I see how it could be very useful on a lease to calculate business use for taxes. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

My pleasure.

No real concern with trips being monitored. You can activate/deactivate logging at any time and on a per trip basis. You can also delete all or individual trip logs.

Leasing and taxes are definitely one use for the system.

Another would be if you are going on a longish road trip and would like it logged to retrace your path later.

Another would be if you are using your car to go on a business trip. The log can be used to support expense claims.

Etc...

I personally cannot think of a reason to use it but it was a cheap option and I just wanted my PCM functionality complete.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Forgot to mention one cool feature: If you program the two keys you get with your car and assign a driver name to each key, the logbook will automatic identify the correct driver depending on which key was used to open the door.
I think that's pretty !
How do you program the names to the keys. Is that in the PCM?

Quick Reply: Porsche's Electronic Logbook... A Relatively Obscure Option Explained