Sponsored by:

997 turbo 07 noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Solo1111
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Hey get used to it! Even the 996tt maker the noise. BTW the reason your 4S didn't do it is because it was an enitirely different design,. The IMS shafts in those are supported by a ball bearing at the flywheel side. You cannot compare the two engines! Apples and oranges.
That's exactly what the service rep at Porsche told me as well. And they also said that the 997.2 cars won't have this issue because, again, a totally different design.

It is not that I can't get used to it. It is just a matter of principle I just never thought I would expect this from a 150k car. It's one thing to say if this is the heritage but it isn't.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a whiner here as I absolutely love my car. In fact, I am so happy now the fact that car drives so much more nicer once I got passed the 9/10k miles mark.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With almost 30k on my 2007 TT I can tell you it only gets better! With most of my previous cars as time went on I would be looking for the next model. 3-4 years was the longest I ever kept a car. This one is different, there is something about it that grows on you (I wonder what it is)?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
kevnz911
Intermediate

yeah, i'm struggling with the noises mine makes at low rpms and when i shut it down. hard to get used to. the only complaint i have. the car is amazing!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by kevnz911
yeah, i'm struggling with the noises mine makes at low rpms . . .
Same here

I changed the oil yesterday from M1 0-40 to M1 5-40 TDT in hopes the noise would come down a bit.

After driving the car for the day and letting it idle in the garage after a hard run, I think the car it a bit quieter with M1 5-40 oil. Its not a huge difference but its noticeable.

I'll try M1 5-50 my next oil change . . .
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Same here

I changed the oil yesterday from M1 0-40 to M1 5-40 TDT in hopes the noise would come down a bit.

After driving the car for the day and letting it idle in the garage after a hard run, I think the car it a bit quieter with M1 5-40 oil. Its not a huge difference but its noticeable.

I'll try M1 5-50 my next oil change . . .

The thicker oil really does help tone down the noise a bit. The noise by itself isn't a big issue and it is "normal" but combined with metal flakes in your oil filter means you need to investigate it further. Testing your oil is a good way to keep tabs on things. All you can do is follow Kevins advice and hope for the best.

If you send Kevin a short sound clip of your car at idle he can tell you if the noise is normal, excessive, or something completely unrelated. Mine was average after the switch to Mobil 5w-40 TDT and is considered "normal". My plan is to keep the car a long time, enjoy it, and drive the hell out of it.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo 07 noise