Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling the Porsche: Ebay? AutoTrader? Craig's List? Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Selling the Porsche: Ebay? AutoTrader? Craig's List? Dealer?

Selling my 997 TT. Not looking to squeeze every last $ out of the sale. In fact, my asking price is low. From experience, which do you recommend?

I have never listed on Ebay. In the past, I didn't get much interest or success with AutoTrader. When I put furniture on Craig's list, trolls attacked from every angle. The dealer came in way low on 2 prior Porsches. Ebay?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

hey nap - saw your car at the breakfast on saturday. it's nice and i'd love to get it from you. it's everything i'm looking for, except for the TT part. here are my thoughts on your question... ebay is good for super quick turn around if you're really not interested in money. you'll be sure to sell it fast. but you won't get much for it. you pegged craig's list and the trolls (yipes). autotrader - cars.com and zibe are the main places that i've found to move heavy equipment like this. but it is LONG term. i look at all of these sites at least a few times a day looking for just the right 997. a guy i met on sat morning just picked up a blue 997 from auto trader on friday morning. my neighbor acquired a 997 in the fall from cars.com. another guy down the street has had his aircooled cab on autotrader for 2 years. but he's asking on the high side. hey - here's an idea, i'll keep your car for you while your gone. it'll be perfect when you get back. - mmz
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Napoli
Racer

Thanks for your insight, mrzoop.

Regarding your last thought: But, the car is already perfect.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

You should also list your car for sale here on Rennlist.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold my 1996 993 Carrera last year on Autotrader.com
Posted around 20+ photos with a good description. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
You should also list your car for sale here on Rennlist.
I thought about that, but it seems everyone here already has a Porsche (joking). I think I have to upgrade my account to a paying member to list it? (which is not a prob)

Originally Posted by 997Turbo
Sold my 1996 993 Carrera last year on Autotrader.com. Posted around 20+ photos with a good description. Good luck!
Thanks. Lotsa interest? How long did it take to sell?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Selling my 997 TT. Not looking to squeeze every last $ out of the sale. In fact, my asking price is low. From experience, which do you recommend?

I have never listed on Ebay. In the past, I didn't get much interest or success with AutoTrader. When I put furniture on Craig's list, trolls attacked from every angle. The dealer came in way low on 2 prior Porsches. Ebay?
What mrzoop said.

I'd add consider listing the car in the PCA magazine.

www.autotrader.com gets a lot of eyes on it. Good place to list your car.

You might consider running an ad in the local papers in your area. Sometimes you can run the ad in several regional newspapers and one maybe even two major ones for not too much money.

You have to consider the cost of advertising the car but you never know where a buyer will come from.

As a good car is where you find it then it follows that a good buyer is where he finds your car.

Get it in front as many eyeballs as you can afford and want to go to the trouble.

For online ads, you want plenty of high quality pics that really show the car from all angles in detail. Not so much honey shots as just well thought out and well lit shots from various angles so a buyer feels he knows your car before he pays it a visit to buy it.

Be sure all upcoming services are done.

Take care of any wear items needing replacement.

Stress that the car's condition is so good, in such fine shape, that the car will need no servicing for a good amount of time. Who ever buys the car can look forward to driving the car for months and months, thousands of miles, before any servicing necessary.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Napoli
Racer

Thanks. Good advice, Macster.

I have tried the local paper in the past and the only people who called me were people selling their own listing services.

At the very least, I think I'll try AutoTrader, hoping better luck than years ago when it served the purposes of more localized selling. Buyers have become comfortable w/ buying cars from unknown sellers in far away places.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PM sent
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Thanks. Good advice, Macster.

I have tried the local paper in the past and the only people who called me were people selling their own listing services.

At the very least, I think I'll try AutoTrader, hoping better luck than years ago when it served the purposes of more localized selling. Buyers have become comfortable w/ buying cars from unknown sellers in far away places.
Yes, local papers suck is my experience, at least circa 2006.

Still, mentioned them just in case perhaps things had improved from 2006: Had a nice 2002 VW Golf TDi to sell. Put ad on Craigslist and paid $60 or so to list car at some big web site associated with car ads in the local newpaper consortium.

Ad appeared in at least one major newspaper: SF Chronicle or SJ Mercury News (I forget which one) and several smaller papers for the outlying towns in my area.

Not one call.

However, the craigslist ad garnered 4 or 5 calls and to one of the callers I sold the car.

However there's a difference, to state the obvious, between selling a 4+ year old VW in good condition with an asking price of around $10K vs. seling a nice I'm sure 997 Turbo for an asking price many times that $10K number.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Beware of the small times cons that are watching these sites (autotrader, cars) that will tell you they have a buyer and all you need to do is list it with them and pay a small listing fee ( between $100-$200). they will say they make their profit from the finance company, you will see it listed and no buyers available.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 997 Turbo after seeing it on an Autotrader ad. I live in California and the car was in NJ.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
mikek84121
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Autotrader.com and cars.com to sell my 2008 997tt last year. Placed ad in July and sold it in early Nov. Watch out for a lot of trolls that will want to sell the vehicle for you ...at a price. Good luck.

Mike
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikek84121
I used Autotrader.com and cars.com to sell my 2008 997tt last year. Placed ad in July and sold it in early Nov. Watch out for a lot of trolls that will want to sell the vehicle for you ...at a price. Good luck.

Mike
Just let them bastards know to bugger off!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Napoli
Racer

Thanks, y'all. I'll start w/ AutoTrader and up it to Ebay if the results are disappointing.

Quick Reply: Selling the Porsche: Ebay? AutoTrader? Craig's List? Dealer?