Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For 997 TT CPO, should I get a PPI? Your advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Hammer20001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For 997 TT CPO, should I get a PPI? Your advice please...

I'm looking at a 997TT with 13,000 miles and CPO. The dealer provided the CPO documentation which details the maintenance done. Nothing major on car was done according to the documentation - normal maintenance. Should I do a PPI if the Porsche dealer just did this CPO?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer20001
I'm looking at a 997TT with 13,000 miles and CPO. The dealer provided the CPO documentation which details the maintenance done. Nothing major on car was done according to the documentation - normal maintenance. Should I do a PPI if the Porsche dealer just did this CPO?
Believe it or not but when I bought my 03 996 Turbo last June -- CPO car with 9500 miles on it -- I didn't have a PPI done.

However, I did give the car a very thorough going over several times while dealer closed and then again when I looked at the car on the day I bought it.

The car had to pass smog which was another input as to the engine's condition.

I had the VIN and called several dealers in the area and learned of the car's servicing. Not super good but not real bad. Several oil/filter services, at least one brake fluid flush/bleed.

However, later I found the battery vent hose -- it was an Interstate Battery (not uncommon with little used cars to see a non-OEM battery in the car) -- was just taped to the top of the battery. When I found this I had dealer service department install a proper vent hose connector and a proper vent hose.

Go over the CPO paperwork with a fine tooth comb. In the case of my car, the CPO paperwork included various records of the car being in for noises/rattles and a flaky spoiler but all taken care of shortly after car bought new in 03 and all taken care of under warranty and nothing since then but services.

Oh, this car came with new/improved CPO warranty which covers the car for 2 years -- until June 2011 -- and for 100K miles. Since the car had just 9500 miles on when I bought it I liked the 100K miles warranty coverage in case the engine developed a serious problem as I added the miles.

Ask for a engine controller readout of the overrev counters. Post results here.

Be sure you give the car a longish test ride/drive. 15 miles or so of mixed driving as a passenger then repeat the route as a driver. You want to give teh engine controller enough time to flag a error condition and turn on the CEL. Be sure the CEL comes on when the key turned to on and goes off when the engine starts.

As I said I didn't have a PPI done but I probably should have. In my defense though the car checked out pristine and was low miles and my inspection pretty thorough and my calling around to various dealers turned up nothing to worry about and gave me some confidence the car was indeed a low mileage car that had suffered nothing worse than having a BMW floor mat installed over the Porsche floor mat.

Nearly 20K miles later the car is still running like a top, needing nothing more than gasoline every once in while, once or twice a week, and oil/filter services every 5K miles. This upcoming service at 30K miles will have the spark plugs replaced.

Oh, negotiate an alignment for the car if you go ahead and want it. Almost certain alignment out some unless it was done recently. If never done the springs have settled some and alignment needs be done. Not uncommon for the alignment to be out when car arrives from the factory.

Another thing: Brake fluid needs to be changed every two years. Check build date on door tag and if car older than two years and has not had a brake fluid change insist it have that done too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are ever going to spend the type of money, we do, spend on these cars a PPI is always a must. Even if the dealership claims a CPO! I'm not caliing shinanigans but a dealerships can never be 100% trusted. Alson never ger a PPI performed by the same dealership that is selling the vehicle. That would be a conflict in interest.

Of course if it is a newer car there "should" be less wrong with it. One thing I would pay close attention to, I think as already has been mentioned, are the over-revs. That will be one of the only realiable source of information if the engine was treated well or not.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM
NJR911
Intermediate

I did the same as macster, my car had 9700 miles and was bought new and traded back to the same dealership I bought it from. I looked over all paperwork and took a long test drive. Now 3300 miles later not one hickup. ( nock on wood ). I felt great with the dealership and there mechanics, but would get ppi if the car was not cpo'd and low miles.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Hammer20001
Intermediate

Thanks all. The information provided is very useful and I'm using it in my decision-making. I've requested a read-out on the over revs and will post here once I receive.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Certification doesn't mean the car has not had any paint work done to it.It also doesn't cover things that the original warranty covers.
What this means is,a car can be certified yet it can still have paint work and issues that certification doesn't cover.
Last year i bought a certified '06 E55 with 17,000 miles sight unseen from a Mercedes dealership.The car was still under the factory warranty and no i didn't get the PPI done...Things i found out as soon as the car was unloaded at my place.
1)-The two rear tires were wearing out uneven.They didn't do any alignment as it wasn't covered in certification process.
2)-The navigation screen had scratches which can only be seen during the day light,car was delivered later in the day.Once again certification doesn't cover the navigation screen.
3)-One wheel was curbed lightly but still it was curbed.
After 4 months i finally had them replace the tires and the wheel.They never bothered with the alignment and the nav screen.
PPI is a must.
I will never ever buy any car sight unseen,PERIOD.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

I would just add make sure that any recall work was performed by your dealer before you pick it up.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Believe it or not but when I bought my 03 996 Turbo last June -- CPO car with 9500 miles on it -- I didn't have a PPI done.

However, I did give the car a very thorough going over several times while dealer closed and then again when I looked at the car on the day I bought it.

The car had to pass smog which was another input as to the engine's condition.

I had the VIN and called several dealers in the area and learned of the car's servicing. Not super good but not real bad. Several oil/filter services, at least one brake fluid flush/bleed.

However, later I found the battery vent hose -- it was an Interstate Battery (not uncommon with little used cars to see a non-OEM battery in the car) -- was just taped to the top of the battery. When I found this I had dealer service department install a proper vent hose connector and a proper vent hose.

Go over the CPO paperwork with a fine tooth comb. In the case of my car, the CPO paperwork included various records of the car being in for noises/rattles and a flaky spoiler but all taken care of shortly after car bought new in 03 and all taken care of under warranty and nothing since then but services.

Oh, this car came with new/improved CPO warranty which covers the car for 2 years -- until June 2011 -- and for 100K miles. Since the car had just 9500 miles on when I bought it I liked the 100K miles warranty coverage in case the engine developed a serious problem as I added the miles.

Ask for a engine controller readout of the overrev counters. Post results here.

Be sure you give the car a longish test ride/drive. 15 miles or so of mixed driving as a passenger then repeat the route as a driver. You want to give teh engine controller enough time to flag a error condition and turn on the CEL. Be sure the CEL comes on when the key turned to on and goes off when the engine starts.

As I said I didn't have a PPI done but I probably should have. In my defense though the car checked out pristine and was low miles and my inspection pretty thorough and my calling around to various dealers turned up nothing to worry about and gave me some confidence the car was indeed a low mileage car that had suffered nothing worse than having a BMW floor mat installed over the Porsche floor mat.

Nearly 20K miles later the car is still running like a top, needing nothing more than gasoline every once in while, once or twice a week, and oil/filter services every 5K miles. This upcoming service at 30K miles will have the spark plugs replaced.

Oh, negotiate an alignment for the car if you go ahead and want it. Almost certain alignment out some unless it was done recently. If never done the springs have settled some and alignment needs be done. Not uncommon for the alignment to be out when car arrives from the factory.

Another thing: Brake fluid needs to be changed every two years. Check build date on door tag and if car older than two years and has not had a brake fluid change insist it have that done too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Macster, I just have to say that was one heck of a write up. If I ever buy a used Porsche I will use your guidance in the purchase. And yes do get a PPI.

Jay
Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Even if the car was FREE, I'd get a PPI. Always know as much as you can before you own it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be the Devil's advocate here, on a 2007 I would not get a ppi as long as the scan/service record is clean. the odds are in your favor that nothing is wrong. PPIs really come into play with the older cars, like 993tt's where all sorts of expensive issues can be discovered. Most, if not all, of the issues on the older cars have been long resolved.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

All I'd say is better to be safe than sorry..
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Hammer20001
Intermediate

I want to thank everyone for the information provided - in the end I opted for a 2008 TT and I did get the PPI. The PPI, done by someone with a number of years experience with Porsches, gave me the confidence that the car was in good shape. It did have under 4,000 miles and is still under warranty but I got the PPI nevertheless. Thanks all again. Welcome me to the family as it's my first Porsche!

Best,
Hammer
Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer20001
I want to thank everyone for the information provided - in the end I opted for a 2008 TT and I did get the PPI. The PPI, done by someone with a number of years experience with Porsches, gave me the confidence that the car was in good shape. It did have under 4,000 miles and is still under warranty but I got the PPI nevertheless. Thanks all again. Welcome me to the family as it's my first Porsche!

Best,
Hammer
Good for you -- Let's see some pics of your new car!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
k_ddsl
Intermediate

Welcome to the family then!
Pix pix pix!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

where are you gonna get a PPI then ? you will be asking your porsche dealer, 'can you please send this car to this other dealer to make an inspection' ?
do they even allow it ?

anyways my experience with PPi is horrible, my car passed ppi, with engine oil overfill, brake fluid overfill, out of alignment with steering wheel shake clearly at 50mph , and one dead catalytic converter. After 2 hours in the shop they told me 'fantastic car, it is in perfect condition' !!!

Do a good inspection yourself and get a good warranty.

when I asked Porsche, park place dallas to name them, about the check list, they told that they will only pressure check the cooling system if they see a leak, they will not check alignment unless I pay for a new alignment ect ect.. pretty much they do a visual inspection the same way as you coudl do it. and for the overrev, buy the durametric cable and you will see for yourself what is in the ECU.

Quick Reply: For 997 TT CPO, should I get a PPI? Your advice please...