Sponsored by:

any thoughts on this '07 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile any thoughts on this '07 Turbo?

I'm a 993 TT owner and don't really know much about the 997 Turbo. Any thoughts on this car? Thx!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

It is missing Sports Chrono, arguably the most important 997TT option. The specs don't make much sense: PCCB and electronic logbook but no Sports Chrono or LSD. It is also weird the seller chose to include a photo of the car with the front chopped off. At that price, I would keep looking.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I'm a 993 TT owner and don't really know much about the 997 Turbo. Any thoughts on this car? Thx!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
I'm with Sparkhill on the pics. Lousy set of pics. If car not convenient to you ask for better pics. Straight on front view. Straight on left and right sides. Straight on rear view.

Then 3/4 view shots of both sides from the front and rear. Shots that show the seats in good light, in fact the entire interior. Front trunk. Engine compartment. You want to see the underside of the front trunk lid and the underside of the engine compartment cover.

The body shots want to be of such resolution and quality you can see the gaps and note they're even and the body panels are centered in their openings.

You want to see that both headlights are properly located with same fit in each fender. Same with the rear lights.

You want to see into the interiors of the radiator ducts and verify the A/C condensors are both the same color or have the same patina. If different one's been replaced and likely from accident damage.

There should be individual pics of each wheel and tire and brake.

The choice of options I don't know. Different strokes for different folks.

Even if the car's not the car for you, if you want and need practice and car's not too far away go look at it. The more cars you look at the better at it you get.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

I spoke to the owners of this car. He claims it the wife's car and doesn't get any real use...tires of having a garage queen! I passed because of the lack of sport chrono, otherwise a nice car.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Also interesting that the owner states it has an upgraded sound system?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete C
I spoke to the owners of this car. He claims it the wife's car and doesn't get any real use...tires of having a garage queen! I passed because of the lack of sport chrono, otherwise a nice car.
Don't worry Pete you will find a great car. They're out there. Just keep looking.

Jay
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Parnelli...you are already looking to move out of the 993??? I remember the one you bought...it was pretty sweet.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Don't worry Pete you will find a great car. They're out there. Just keep looking.

Jay
I know of one. Mine. I am moving to Shanghai in June and the customs duty for cars is 3X the value.

I have someone coming from England to look at it this Sunday. If she declines, I will be listing it on autotrader in the upcoming weeks. '07, arctic silver/black leather. 7,900 miles, lotsa options - including ceramics. Pristine.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23

Jay
I did find the "right" car. It should be here by the end of the week!
I'll post once it arrives. I already have a bag of new parts waiting for it

Pete
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pic with the front end chopped off is priceless. Outstanding.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by raclaims
Parnelli...you are already looking to move out of the 993??? I remember the one you bought...it was pretty sweet.
No, not selling the 993 TT. Just thinking of adding another Porsche to the family. Problem is not enough garage space! Thx for the nice comments on my 993 TT, though. It's been a great car.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
valex20
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have talked with the owner and gotten more pictures. Most picture I got were when they picked up the car, however, from the looks of things. Not exactly the best for CURRENT condition. They don't seem to be shady, however, I think the car is fine, but the lack of the sport chrono is what kinda killed it for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by valex20
i have talked with the owner and gotten more pictures. Most picture I got were when they picked up the car, however, from the looks of things. Not exactly the best for CURRENT condition. They don't seem to be shady, however, I think the car is fine, but the lack of the sport chrono is what kinda killed it for me.
I'm sure Mad Dog Madoff didn't come across as shady eitiher.

Seriously, I do not know the people you are talking with about this car and I'm sure everything is on the up and up and not everyone prepared to run out and take high quality snap shots of a car but the seller is woefully misinformed if he believes he can sell a car of this type without adequate pictures. At least someone outside his immediate area.

Someone local could of course arrange to view the car and from direct viewing make an informed decision regarding the car's condition but someone working from a distance is going to want a full set of high quality pics before he commits to viewing the car in person or having someone view the car for him and to arrange for a PPI.

The seller is limiting his market and that's not wise.

Oh, I had Sport Chrono in my 08 Cayman S and didn't feel its presence all that significant and do not believe its absence would cause me to forgo a nice car. Turned it on several times but it was not practical in town and since I didn't drive the car on the track I left it off most of the time save when I wanted to play with the timer and see how long my Happy Meal took to arrive.

I did appreciate the TPMS though. That's a nice option. Along with cruise and auto climate control and on-board computer.

However, different strokes for different folks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
jonoz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport chrono

The sport chrono option is a must have option for the turbo....not sure what it does for a cayman s but with the turbo, you get 10 seconds of overboost which I find makes a great difference on acceleration.
I would never buy a turbo without it.
This option on nonturbo cars might be a non issue, but it is a great difference for the turbo.
j

Quick Reply: any thoughts on this '07 Turbo?