Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Darth Vader Cab

We've had this 2009 997TT in a few times over the course of the last 6 months... She originally came in for a Stage II, Tubi Race Exhaust, HRE P43 Monoblok wheels and has since graduated to a full-on EVT700, TechArt suspension (with Noselift), a TechArt Type 1 aero kit as well as a few other goodies

Here she is on the lift with the stock headers and Tubi Race exhaust:

Our Stage III clutch kit is required for this level of power so off comes the transmission. Starting with the belly-pans:

Then the driveshafts:

Out comes the trans:

There she is naked without the transmission as the flywheel assembly goes in:

With the turbos (and all lines), exhaust, intercoolers, headers and coil packs removed we then change the spark plugs:

With the spark plugs upgraded it's time for the EVT700 VTG turbos to get installed:

The EVOMS ClubSport intercoolers are then installed and the factory cages modified:

In go the intercoolers and the upgraded red hose kit:

Next up the factory headers are replaced by EVOMS' newest Clubsport headers, which are designed to have a factory fit and not hang inches lower in the danger zone:

As shown here they are not the lowest point so they won't get damaged in/out of those driveways:

Almost there with the new turbos/headers installed:

The factory pulley is another area we tackle:

Off she comes in favor of the smaller and lighter-weight EVOMS unit:

After being calibrated for 91 octane, off she comes for a test drive:

Darth Vader comes to mind:

Back home:

Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Very impressive. Nice pics and great looking cab. Question, with the increased torque were there any issues you had with overcoming increased stress on the clutch plate? And if so how did you correct for this? My reasoning is based upon reading that I have come across that reviews the consequences of trying to upgrade a TT and trying to avoid too much torque at the clutch plate. In any event if you have consistent results with this performance upgrade what a beast you have built.

Jay
Old 02-15-2010, 11:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DJ23
Very impressive. Nice pics and great looking cab. Question, with the increased torque were there any issues you had with overcoming increased stress on the clutch plate? And if so how did you correct for this? My reasoning is based upon reading that I have come across that reviews the consequences of trying to upgrade a TT and trying to avoid too much torque at the clutch plate. In any event if you have consistent results with this performance upgrade what a beast you have built.

Jay
hi jay, thanks a lot and absolutely we do replace the stock clutch with what we call our "Stage III" set up. This includes a upgraded pressure plate and clutch disc to deal with more power
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

My wife and my wallet are glad you don't live here.

I, on the other hand, feel differently.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Alex is the pulley really necessary? We don't have overheating/spinning issues on the accessories that I know of and the amount of load removed on a 700+ hp car might be indiscernable. I would be worried about messing with the crank harmonics on a motor putting out that much power. Just sayin.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by eclou
Alex is the pulley really necessary? We don't have overheating/spinning issues on the accessories that I know of and the amount of load removed on a 700+ hp car might be indiscernable. I would be worried about messing with the crank harmonics on a motor putting out that much power. Just sayin.
Hey Eclou, thanks and it's been tested for a good few months and thousands of miles but I agree none of this is "necessary" but it's a good thing to do with the LWF upgrade a la GT3s.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
My wife and my wallet are glad you don't live here.

I, on the other hand, feel differently.
Hehe thanks Eric!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice! I loved the pics of the operation. Thanks.

Ya know what? I'd paint the red calipers black. What da heck!?

Also paint that annoying grey band on the rotor hub. It's on mine too. Been bothering me lately.

Quick Reply: Darth Vader Cab