Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.W.E. Tuning - 997.2 TT 6speed - Vehicle Introduction and Product Development Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A.W.E. Tuning - 997.2 TT 6speed - Vehicle Introduction and Product Development Update

It’s here!

We want to first start off with thanking a few people involved.

Erik Niehof, and the staff of Porsche of the Mainline in Newtown Square, PA., have now helped us with our third Porsche. We could not have been more pleased with the deal and service that we received from them. Regardless of where you live, please keep them in mind on the purchase of your next car. Erik has sold and shipped cars all over the U.S., so geography is not an issue.

Next we want to thank Garrett and Andrew from G.I.A.C. The timing is perfect as they have been working on the programming and Flashloader technology for a few weeks now. Dyno testing is being done as type this.

So as with all new cars the first thing that needed to be done was some baseline dyno pulls on our Mustang AWD chassis dyno.

For comparisons sake, this is what other Turbo models have done stock on our dyno.

(Horsepower To The Wheels)
996TT 6speed Non-X50: 355hp / 366tq
997TT 6speed in stock boost mode: 440hp / 401tq
997TT 6speed in overboost mode: 440hp / 432tq
997TT GT2: 487hp / 436tq (2wd car)

We have preached this for years, but I will say it again. Proper cooling is critical when dynoing a modern Porsche. They are terribly sensitive to even the most minor change in temperature. This car is no different!

So with proper fan set placement we then use a variety of various scan tools to monitor engine performance. We have a proprietary scan tool that was written by G.I.A.C. along with a Porsche PIWIS Tester and Durametric software.

Data points that we are most interested in include:
Timing
Timing Correction
Injector Duty Cycle
Lambda
Boost
Exhaust Gas Temp.
Vane Duty Cycle
Fuel Pressure
Intake Air Temp.
Oil Temp.
Coolant Temp.
Throttle Position

Here is the dyno plot and boost plot of our new 997.2 TT

Once we have our baseline dyno runs out of the way, we then will hook up our laptop with the G.I.A.C. Serial Suite and download the factory program direct from the DME.

With this proprietary reader from G.I.A.C. there is no need to ever open the ECU. Uploads and downloads are never an issue with this method. We have also been asked if this method of downloading and flashing with alter the DME’s internal flash counter. The answer is no. Reason being is because G.I.A.C. uses their own tool they wrote themselves for recalibration. That has allowed them retain the original flash counter value. Plus OBD2 port flashing is just plain easier.

Here is a picture of the uploading of the new software. Downloading look is identical.

Once the program has been downloaded it gets emailed to G.I.A.C. for their recalibration. Once done it is sent back to us via email and then uploaded in the car.

Here are few special features already now available from G.I.A.C. for the 997.2 TT.

-OBD2 Port Flashing
-Four Unique Programs that can be switched with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader
1. Pump Gas Performance Mode (for 91-93 octane)
2. Stock Performance Mode (for trips to the dealer)
3. Race Gas Mode (higher timing for additional power)
4. Valet Mode (very low power if an attendant is driving the car)
-Two different redline settings
-Sharper throttle response

For those of you unfamiliar with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader and how it works, please watch this video:
http://awe-tuning.com/media/multimed...lashloader.wmv

Another benefit of our partnership with G.I.A.C. often missed is the fact that they are our West and we are out East. You may be wondering why this could be important. The answer to that is fuel.

With G.I.A.C. being in SoCal, the best at the pump they can buy is 91. This will allow them to find the performance floor if you will. They know what they can get with the least amount of octane.

Now with us being here on the East Coast we can find 93 and sometimes 94 at the pump. This allows them (G.I.A.C.) to find the ceiling with the increased octane. Many of our competitors have to guess or come up with some type of homemade blend for fuel to find the correct timing since 93 is not available to them.

So there you have it. The ball is in motion.

Next up will be exhaust development that is handled all in house by our team of Mechanical Engineers and Master Fabricators.

Stay tuned.

If you have any specific question, please email me directly.

Mike@AWE-Tuning.com
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand how you make the engine have more power but how do you know where the engine tolerances lay before the thing blows up? ie. to get to 90% tolerance you first need to know what the 100% power figure is.

Does the Porsche AG factory tell you these figures for new engines or do you just keep twisting until you bust? (ref: UK card game called 'twist' or '21')
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
I understand how you make the engine have more power but how do you know where the engine tolerances lay before the thing blows up? ie. to get to 90% tolerance you first need to know what the 100% power figure is.

Does the Porsche AG factory tell you these figures for new engines or do you just keep twisting until you bust? (ref: UK card game called 'twist' or '21')
Porsche know, Tuners haven't got a clue

The Mezger engine was raced and developed for so long that I reckon tuners got blase about limitations (like some of the Switzer 800hp on stock internals jobbies !)
I guess they may come at this like they tune VWs or Audis ie the engine may be able to take another X%, but it is mostly guesswork.

We need some destructive testing and racing to find those limits - its going to be carnage
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM
gerbs
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmhhh!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

****UPDATE #2***

WOW.

So G.I.A.C. has been chipping away at the programming. We are sitting comfortably at +53 AWHP and +37 AWTQ!

At this power level we are running close to some limits of the fueling system, though this is a very safe tune. We are monitoring many, many engine parameters via G.I.A.C.'s proprietary scan tool and also with our PIWIS and dyno tools.

Again, we look at things like air/fuel, EGTs, knock, ignition advance, boost, etc.

Impressed? Well it gets better...

Also finished are a unique stock and valet program all switchable with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader Device. The stock program is nice for trips to the dealer when you want all stock power levels. The valet program is nice for when you have to hand over the keys to someone else.

Currently being finalized is the unique race gas program that also can be switched using the G.I.A.C. Flashloader. Updates to follow.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Good Morning.

Ok, we have another update for you.

We did some speed differential testing between a bone stock car and then with a G.I.A.C. flash. The car still has stock exhaust and stock intercoolers.

Please note that this is a full weight car, with a full tank of fuel, and a heavy driver. (Todd)

The car is a 6 speed. We did the testing in a manner that most users would would. We were not out to kill the clutch. These are results that any driver can achieve.

Raw data:

Stock:
0-60mph 4.0s
0-100mph 8.9s
0-120mph 11.9s
0-130mph 13.7s

GIAC:
0-60mph 3.4s
0-100mph 7.9s
0-120mph 10.8s
0-130mph 12.5s

Quick Reply: A.W.E. Tuning - 997.2 TT 6speed - Vehicle Introduction and Product Development Update