Sponsored by:

ECU FLASH 09 TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
CHEMICALMAN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU FLASH 09 TURBO

I'm about to pull the trigger on a flash and maybe a cold air intake..

Anybody have any "bad" experiences with the flash--ie engine trouble? Warranty issues? Its my daily driver--no track use...

I am also not sure if the cold air intake is a waste of money?? the posts I've found are mixed...
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEMICALMAN
I'm about to pull the trigger on a flash and maybe a cold air intake..

Anybody have any "bad" experiences with the flash--ie engine trouble? Warranty issues? Its my daily driver--no track use...

I am also not sure if the cold air intake is a waste of money?? the posts I've found are mixed...
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Would think a flash would void the warranty at least on the engine since the Ecu controls every aspect of the engine's behavior.

If the engine acted up the dealer/factory could argue with any changes to the factory flash image the factory behavior was overriden/overruled and to the detriment of the engine.

Cold air intake only helps if the engine's sucking in hot air. Is it? My experience is (at least with my Boxster -- I'll see if I've collected any data with my 996 Turbo's air intake temperature) the intake air temperature (IAT) at speed is 10F to 12F above ambient. Note the Boxster's engine air intake is located on the side of the car down low, while the Turbo's is located under the rear engine cover in cooler and cleaner air flow.

Even if one were able to drop the Boxster's IAT to down to ambient a drop of 10 or so degrees F would not make much if any difference. And if the cold air intake comes with a more complicated air filtration system that requires periodic cleaning, oiling, then what's the gain?

Just found some IAT's recorded for my Turbo last June 28 when I was returning from Stanford Concourse in Palo Alto CA.

Left parking lot at concourse with the IATaround 150F. Drove through town, stop and go driving and after 6 or so minutes into trip IAT down to 115F.

IAT stayed around 115F to 110F for many minutes of highway driving though once again climbing to a bit over 120F as I neared home and left the highway and moved onto city streets with stop/go driving.

Now this day was particularly hot. It was near 100F if not a bit above in Palo Alto and on way back home to Livermore I watched the outside temp display of the car Turbo indicating outside air temperature at 111F at one point. (See pic.) Hot day.

So the IAT once moving at a steady pace and not stop/go driving through Palo Alto city streets was not very far above the outside air temperature.

I note coolant temp started at around 165F and never got above the 190F to 195F level. 'course, I had the AC on the whole time which means the electric radiator fans running all the time.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 06-03-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your IAT will be significant lower with improved intercoolers than a cold air intake on the 997 turbo.

If you are going to flash your ECU, you should consider a proper exhaust which will reduce your exhaust gas temperature, improve the longevity of your turbos, and significantly lower backpressures improving available boost for your engine.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Intake is a waste of money, minimal gain...if any.
I would not flash a new 09 car, it will terminate your warranty, wait until you have a decent amount of miles on the car. On an otherwise stock car, (stock exhaust) you're looking at a very mild flash, maybe 30 hp tops, not enough to lose your warranty over imo.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I've yet to hear of someone having any issues related to a flash. I was scared to do it for warranty issues until the dealer put in writing that they would stand by the warranty if they did the flash...I've kicked myself in the rear end several times for not doing it sooner. It's fantastic. I would never go back to stock.

Agree that intake is a waste...

Just remember...once you start...you won't stop...modding is an evil addiction...but damn it's great fun.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I've yet to hear of someone having any issues related to a flash.
There have been a small number of issues with flashes from non-reputable companies, they are just not well publicized. I think there are some more potential issues lurking with those who run programs causing lots of detonation. The engines are strong and many cars have limited mileage so who knows when or if issues will show up somewhere down the road.

With that caveat, I think it is fine to flash as long as you go with a reputable tuner. I flashed at 200 miles and agree it was a great mod. You just have to go into it knowing that you jeopardize your warranty but this is where your tuner or dealer can help you out. All flashes are detectable if Porsche looks hard enough, period. Talk to your tuner and have a plan before you flash. Keep in mind that there are many of us who drive our cars a lot, have quality flashes, and have zero issues.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ True, keep in mind they can void your entire warranty with a flash if they desire. That's why I suggest putting some miles on it first,see if anything shakes loose so to speak, then flash it later.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Great feedback guys! Chemicalman, if you are interested here is a little more info that should be useful, look at post # 18 in particular...

Should you decide on software, our flashcable option for the 997TT also includes a free single user license for Durametric basic software, allowing you to read out and diagnose your own vehicle.

Glad you are doing your homework, software is THE most important decision you can make in tuning a car!

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Quick Reply: ECU FLASH 09 TURBO