997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its Here! - 2010 TT - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:37 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

This must be the Joe from Toronto that I know.

Hi Joe. Can you compare shift speed between this car and the Scud?
Old 01-22-2010 | 07:01 PM
joeTurbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jamie140
This must be the Joe from Toronto that I know.

Hi Joe. Can you compare shift speed between this car and the Scud?
Yes it is the Joe you know. I had your 996 Turbo Cab.

The actual shift times are pretty quick - what is slow is the lag between pulling the paddles and the tranny actually shifting. Because of this, the while this "slurs" the shifts a bit. My sense is that Porshe has chosen to smooth things out with a bit of a time delay, and probbaly a bit of clutch slippage to protect the powertrain and give it more of a Grand Tourer feel.

The Scuderia is much tighter, more alive on all levels - steering, ride, shifting, and of course sound.

If you want to take it for a spin, you can reach me through Doug.
Old 01-27-2010 | 05:13 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

I just test drove new 997.2 tt with PDK and 997.2 C4S also with PDK. The shifts seemed quicker in the C4S. I think it is because of the normally aspirated engine, the downshifts especially were much better with much more noticeable throttle blips. I think Porsche deliberately tried to smooth things out in the turbo, you can feel that the PDK is trying to deal with a lot more torque in the turbo. The C4S with sport exhaust just blew away the turbo as far as sound is concerned, and throttle response. The turbo obviously was much quicker but less engaging overall IMO.
Old 01-27-2010 | 07:41 PM
RSA333
Racer

This is what my experience with the PDK Turbo was as well. Maybe it will change over time, or the system has some safety measure built in not to damage the drivetrain.

The Scuderia shifts much faster than the 997.2 Porsche PDK Turbo IMHO.
Old 01-28-2010 | 05:01 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA333
This is what my experience with the PDK Turbo was as well. Maybe it will change over time, or the system has some safety measure built in not to damage the drivetrain.

The Scuderia shifts much faster than the 997.2 Porsche PDK Turbo IMHO.
Do you really think so? I havent driven the 997.2 TT PDK but I have a C2S with PDK. The shift times should be much faster than any single clutch system. Maybe with the TT there is a lag before when you press and it shifting. But the actual shift should be superfast. I dont have that lag BTW on my car. I know my shifts are way faster than say an F430 single clutch F1.
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:07 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
Do you really think so? I havent driven the 997.2 TT PDK but I have a C2S with PDK. The shift times should be much faster than any single clutch system. Maybe with the TT there is a lag before when you press and it shifting. But the actual shift should be superfast. I dont have that lag BTW on my car. I know my shifts are way faster than say an F430 single clutch F1.
we need some data to resolve this issue -- my S pdk is superfast shifting manual, auto in sport and sport plus.

i am considering the new turbo pdk as i need 4wd for snow and dirt again [arizona ranch is back], but this slowness of the shifts is concerning.

anyone have shift times for turbo vs S Pdk????
Old 02-25-2010 | 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

I had my TT out this past weekend for the first time and the shift times where very fast. In fact compared to the manual, I couldn't imagine the manual shifting faster through the gears faster than I could with the PDK gear selector. No perceptible lag and very smooth transitions. I'll give more info as the weather improves here in the Northeast. So far I think Porsche has done a superb job with the new PDK, especially when driving in sport and sport plus mode. In sport and sport plus mode the shift tmes are virtually seamless.
Jay
Old 02-28-2010 | 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Man, am I the only one who misses the bigger whale tails? The pic posted above makes it look very much like a standard N/A car.

As for the shifting, I couldn't imagine not getting a manual transmission.

Enjoy your car all the same.
Old 02-28-2010 | 11:25 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

An aftermarket flash tune should be able to greatly reduce any turbo lag. As for the PDK, perhaps the dealer should hook you up to a PIWIS and check your system. The PDK that I drove was instantaneous.

Quick Reply: Its Here! - 2010 TT - First Impressions