Sponsored by:

Another GT3/997TT decision thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaino
I guess I'll just have to find out myself.

I have a couple of follow-up questions.

1. Given the market condition, would you expect a lower price for a car which has been tracked (6-10 times), versus one that has not? I don't plan on tracking her, but I do realize how much additional stress this places on the clutch, brakes, etc. The cosmetic impact of road debris, rubber marks, etc., are assumed to NOT be the issue.

2. What addition or distraction do aftermarket upgrades have on the value of the car. Question especially for cars which are CPO. Reading through the threads, there seemed to be a fairly hard line by PCNA regarding warranty repairs and aftermaket additions (i.e., Cats/Exhaust, and turbo coverage...)

I'm fairly convinced that the TT is the right direction for me, now the question is to which one. The market is quite flush with them at present, and the choices cover the spectrum of options.
As a buyer (or prospective buyer) I would use any track time as a negative. Frankly, I would avoid a car with any substantial track time.

I know the argument a track car has may received TLC. Maybe. Maybe not. I do know I have seen too many vids of a track car going off into the weeds or one recently with one -- I read about I didn't have time to view video -- with a severely dipped oil pressure gage.

If the amount of track time slight, or you believe inconsequential, consider the car, but I would let buyer know I consider the track time a negative and the implication is my price offer will be adjusted downwards.

BTW, cosemetic damage arising from track time does impact or should impact value. To me a car with street miles on it is going to suffer some cosmetic damage. But a reasonable amount (ignoring those few cars that exist in dusty/sandy areas). However, track time can and often does subject the car to acceleration cosmetic degradation and the end result is the car looks "older".

I do not like mod'd cars. I prefer to buy them stock leave them stock.

A mod'd car brings into the mix who did the mods, what quality are the mods, and most mods imply some harsher treatment of the car. No one bolts on a chip upgrade or a handling package or bigger brakes to make the grocery store runs more fullfilling.

With a goodly supply of Turbos, I think you can find one that has not been tracked or mod'd, if you desire.

But if you find one that has some insignificant (in your opinion) track time, costmetically the car is acceptable, and perhaps has some relatively mild mods of a quality type -- ones that do not impact the abilty to emissions test the car, and mods that can be undone with relatively ease and cost (and any removed stock parts come with the car), then of course you can consider the car.

Well, you can of course consider any car you want, but I think you get my drift.

But it makes your job of evaluating the car harder because now you have to verify the amount of track time and assess the effects of track time and the quality of the mods and what usage the mods imply the car was treated to.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Another GT3/997TT decision thread