Sponsored by:

Prepurchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by zak911
Thank you Macster for the advice. I'm talking about an 07-08 that would still be under the original 4yr factory warranty. The way I understand a CPO is that it would be an extension of the original so it wouldn't start until 2011-2012. I know most CPOs and 3rd party warranties aren't as comprehensive as the original, which is a prime motivator for me looking at 07-08 models. The benefit I see of a CPO is that the dealers are picking what they see as the best of the cars to put into the program. It lessens the risk of getting a problem car, but surely doesn't eliminate it. Unfortunately, I assume my inspection of a prospective car will be limited. I'll fly in and do what I can, but I obviously won't have the luxury of of spending too much time with the car. I'll rely on a PPI. Is it customary for a Porsche dealer selling a car to automatically provide a PPI as many do with a carfax?

Vaino - good advice on the CPO report not including a DME "over rev report"
Still under the factory warranty is better, but you stil want to avoid a car with internal engine issues and low compression, even on one cylinder is just such an issue.

The concern I would have is just when does low compression get taken care of under warranty? I've read enough posts by owners of new cars new cars with say severe oil usage problems and nothing gets done about it cause even if extreme the consumption is still within (if only barely) what Porsche considers acceptable. What does Porsche considerable acceptable for compression differences. Generally all cylinders want to be within 10% or so, and one or two (usually adjacent cause head gasket leaking between them) with 15% difference is cause to reject the engine.

The exact numbers should be in some tech info available to the techs or service manager but you be hardpressed to extract this info from them. And they may not know it. If the engine checks out with a low cylinder Porsche may have to be contacted to see if it will authorize anything to address the problem. Porsche may require more than just low compression on one cylinder. It may require some other signs of distress before it would authorize anything.

Be sure you get it clear and in writing when the CPO warranty starts and how long it runs. Not saying your info wrong you just have to be sure you have it right.

I bought an 03 Turbo with a CPO warranty and the word I received and the confirmation I received is the new warranty is much better than the old CPO warranty. The new CPO warranty covers much more "stuff" and in fact I've been told it covers the same stuff as the new car factory warranty.

Mine runs until June 2011 and for 100K miles.

Dealers do pick the cherries cause the dealer has to spend less money to bring the car up to CPO level. However, a dealer could make a mistake. And the PPI could be shall I say superficial.

If you ask for a PPI, the dealer will probably just point to the CPO inspection and refuse to do a PPI.

Although, if you offered to pay, I'm sure the dealer would almost certainly oblige. Trouble is you could be having the car PPI'd by the same tech that did the CPO check out. Do you think he's going to uncover anything the 2nd time through the car?

Ideally you want a PPI done by a quality shop that knows these cars inside and out and of course knows cars inside and out. And you want this done by a shop that has no fiduciary interest in the vehicle being sold.

Understand I'm by nature a very cautious person when it comes to car purchaes. I take a long time -- usually -- to research the cars I'm interested and learn all I can. I've only bought one used car of late, the Turbo, and I must tell you I did not have the car PPI'd. I bought it from a dealer with a CPO warranty. I did look over the CPO checkout sheet and the list was very complete and of course the car passed with flying colors. I had the sheet in hand when I went over the car and found nothing to cause me to believe the CPO checkout was not as reported.

I also got a printout of what had been done to the car and there were a few issues early on, with the spoiler and rattles attributed to the sunroof. These had all been fixed shortly after car sold new in 03.

I got the VIN and called some Porsche dealers in the area and found two who had serviced the vehicle and learned the car had had some regular servicing in spite of it having low (9400 miles when the dealer acquired the car) so the car had been treated rather well, just not driven very much.

And I looked the car over very carefully. I've checked out a few cars and consider myself skilled enough to trust myself for my car purchases. I'd never claim to be able to do this for anyone else though.

Before I even visited the dealer to look at the car for purchase I visited the dealer when it was closed and looked the car over very carefully with a good light. I got down on the ground and looked under the car, looked everywhere I could look. I saw nothing amiss and nothing to make me suspect the car was not in as good a condition as it was claimed to be.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Prepurchase Inspection