If you had to race a Turbo - Asking for help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had to race a Turbo - Asking for help

Folks-

I do a dozen DE events a year, and may return to club racing. I know the old adage - "Use a dedicated track car, perferably one that is normally aspirated".

But l like 911 turbos better, and given now that one can obtain dedicated track insurance, and suppose you wanted a so-called "dual-purpose" car, which of the following would you choose and why:

-Ruf RTurbo - heavy, really a 'collectors' car, but lots of bhp. Great on the street.
-997 GT2 - lots of luxury and expensive to buy, is it really that much faster? Great on the street.
-996 GT2 - can be heavily modified.
-993 Turbo, modifiable to about 520 bhp and maybe beyond. Great looks IMHO.

I would love to race a 993 GT2 Evo (unobtanium - but love air-cooled cars), but has the technology advanced so far that I should really go for a 997 GT2 or 996 GT2?

All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Gerry

PS- Will also post this on other forums if that is okay.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
Folks-

I do a dozen DE events a year, and may return to club racing. I know the old adage - "Use a dedicated track car, perferably one that is normally aspirated".

But l like 911 turbos better, and given now that one can obtain dedicated track insurance, and suppose you wanted a so-called "dual-purpose" car, which of the following would you choose and why:

-Ruf RTurbo - heavy, really a 'collectors' car, but lots of bhp. Great on the street.
-997 GT2 - lots of luxury and expensive to buy, is it really that much faster? Great on the street.
-996 GT2 - can be heavily modified.
-993 Turbo, modifiable to about 520 bhp and maybe beyond. Great looks IMHO.

I would love to race a 993 GT2 Evo (unobtanium - but love air-cooled cars), but has the technology advanced so far that I should really go for a 997 GT2 or 996 GT2?

All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Gerry

PS- Will also post this on other forums if that is okay.
If you are going to race the car you choose of course wants to be competitive. What are the top drivers/teams that you plan on competing against running?

That's the car or cars you should consider balanced against cost of purchase and cost of running and other factors that are important to you.

If you just want to run/race with no concern about being competitive then this opens up more cars to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wanted a real, MEAN turbo powered car, I'd save my nickels for a car like Bill Chadwicks 935. The rest are just players.

That said, of the ones listed, I would go with a 996 based turbo because of their relatively low entry point and large aftermarket support.

I would also want to race in a class where my car/me could be competitive. Not much fun running a car in a class by itself.

I'd also only want to race a car I could afford to "throw away". In racing they say its not "if" you crash, but "when".
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the stable of cars u already have, why wouldn't you use the GT3RS?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
RWK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 2nd Bill Chadwicks machine, if you are going to race a turbo, it is the machine. no mechanical advantage left on the table

absolutely crazy
Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Assuming you can't come to your senses and simply buy a Cup car which will be bullet proof and offer racing with a lot of competition, then you need to focus on what you will be doing with it long term.

I hate to say it but there is no such thing as a "dual purpose" car - there is a dedicated track car, a street car and then there is the compromise car. What I think you are asking is what is the best platform to start with for a compromise car.

I would not go with a 997 GT2 - simply too expensive and has things you don't need. So your options are to buy a modified 996 GT2 or turbo and go from there. The benefits of the GT2 is you get a seam welded chasis, so it will be stiffer, there are shops like GMG that have done extensive testing and set up on 996 GT2's and can sell you a complete handling package that will work right out of the box. You can make uber power, without much expense and you can find one with some miles for a very reasonable price.

When all is said and done you will spend a lot and not be as fast as a Cup car. You will not really enjoy driving it on the street, as to make it work good on the track it will be too stiff for the street. So you will evolve it in a year or two and it will become your dedicated track car. You will have dumped in a bunch of cash that will never come back, versus a used Cup where you will get most of your dollars back, you just pay a use fee (for engine and tranny refresh, bearing, brakes, axels etc...).

Sorry I know you said you like turbos better - and maybe you don't care about the price. If that is the case call Loren Begg's at 911 Design in California, he has built two increadible turbo cars for the track and a few for both track and street. He can put something together you will enjoy.

But I have learned over the years two Porsches is best if you can make it work, 1 for the track and 1 for the street.

Good luck with your quest, nothing better than a project!

JCM

Quick Reply: If you had to race a Turbo - Asking for help