Burnt Clutch Masters Stage III -- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt Clutch Masters Stage III -- need advice

Hi there all..

I just recently bought a modified 997 TT '07 that had only 2k Miles on it and was modified with less then 1k miles after the modifications. Adter driving now for 600 miles I started getting a high revving engine with no motion (i read some of your posts with similar issues and that the clutch was worn out)..

I took it to the dealer and they want me to change the PRessure plate, the Clutch disn and the Fly wheel and they recommended that I put the original parts (new fly wheel, new pressure plate, and new clutch disc)

Now my car had the following modifications done to it
1. Softronic ECu programming supposedly 625 HP)
2. Clutch Masters Stage III ( PRessure plate, clutch disc, no flywheel)
3. Headers
4. Air intakes
5. Miltek Exhuasts
6. BMC Air Filters

Not sure what to do!???? would the stock clutch take all this power and modification!?? The dealer said that it should be a problem (we are talking Porsche Saudi Arabia , so not sure about the technical capabilities)

What do you guys think!??? need some advice on what to do!!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Sorry... just to add... the dealer said that is SHOULD NOT BE ANY PROBLEM and that the clutch system can handle the power...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by deebster
Hi there all..

I just recently bought a modified 997 TT '07 that had only 2k Miles on it and was modified with less then 1k miles after the modifications. Adter driving now for 600 miles I started getting a high revving engine with no motion (i read some of your posts with similar issues and that the clutch was worn out)..

I took it to the dealer and they want me to change the PRessure plate, the Clutch disn and the Fly wheel and they recommended that I put the original parts (new fly wheel, new pressure plate, and new clutch disc)

Now my car had the following modifications done to it
1. Softronic ECu programming supposedly 625 HP)
2. Clutch Masters Stage III ( PRessure plate, clutch disc, no flywheel)
3. Headers
4. Air intakes
5. Miltek Exhuasts
6. BMC Air Filters

Not sure what to do!???? would the stock clutch take all this power and modification!?? The dealer said that it should be a problem (we are talking Porsche Saudi Arabia , so not sure about the technical capabilities)

It is not the power that the clutch needs to handle but the torque. What is the claimed torque output of the engine with the engine mods you list?

What is the torque capacity of the stock clutch?

These do not generally have much in the way of excess margin. I don't recall the exact numbers but I've come across various mentions of why one transmission is used or not used in a particular application and almost always it is due to the transmission not being able to handle the torque. And the differences in the two transmissions and their torque capacity is sometimes around the 10% to 20% level. Same with clutches.

Dealer might be telling you correctly -- the stock clutch system can handle the torque -- but it may be trying to avoid having to source an aftermarket clutch assembly.

You'll need to replace all clutch hardware and maybe even the flywheel regardless of which clutch you go with. A slipping clutch can overheat and ruin a flywheel in hardly no time.

In the future if a slipping clutch is suspected the best thing to do is to avoid driving the car and avoid any slipping of the clutch to avoid overheating and destroying the flywheel.

Some places can resurface a flywheel but if it has been overheated the resulting hard spots are too deep to remove.

If the flywheel not heat damaged it can be resused if its friction surface is otherwise in good shape and its movement within spec. There is a call out on this and a method for checking it to be sure the flywheel in spec.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
deebster
Intermediate

Default thanks for the reply

Hi there.. thanks for the reply.. based on the softronic tuning.. the car should have least 525ft/lbs that's with the tuning only... it could be more then that.. the stock has 457ft/lbs with the 480hp.

now here is full in terms of upgrades

1. softronic ecu program (same mapping as Gemballa avalanche GTR 600) (done after all upgrades)

2. Agency Headers

3. Milltek exhaust with 200 cell race cats

4. IPD intake plenum

5. Evolutions motorsports (EVOMS) turbo diverter valves

6. BMC Air filters

7. Clutch Master Stage III Kevlar Clutch

8. Pagid Racing brake pads

9. Stainless steel brake lines

10. H & R Sport suspension

11. HRE competition wheels wit TOYO R888 tires
Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi there.. thanks for the reply.. based on the softronic tuning.. the car should have least 525ft/lbs that's with the tuning only... it could be more then that.. the stock has 457ft/lbs with the 480hp.

now here is full in terms of upgrades

1. softronic ecu program (same mapping as Gemballa avalanche GTR 600) (done after all upgrades)

2. Agency Headers

3. Milltek exhaust with 200 cell race cats

4. IPD intake plenum

5. Evolutions motorsports (EVOMS) turbo diverter valves

6. BMC Air filters

7. Clutch Master Stage III Kevlar Clutch

8. Pagid Racing brake pads

9. Stainless steel brake lines

10. H & R Sport suspension

11. HRE competition wheels wit TOYO R888 tires
If you believe engine now puttng out 525ftlbs of torque unlikely stock clutch built with that much margin.

One thought -- I'm not too up on the various 997 models and their hp/torque numbers -- but the clutch may be able to handle the torque if you can tell me the same stock clutch in your car is used in one of the higher output models, like the GT2 or GT3 and one of these models produces 525ftlbs of torque.

Otherwise I think you're faced with sourcing an aftermarket clutch that's good to that 525ftlbs of torque number and of course perhaps even more. I vaquely recall checking out a 996 Turbo on local dealer's service department in for a new clutch and the tech installing an aftermarket clutch that was good to 600ftlbs. The engine was mod'd and the stock clutch had given up the ghost. I can't recall the name of the clutc brand though.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do all the people who mod their cars prevent the same from happening to their clutch?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

My question is why would a new clutch fail with 1k miles!! I would call clutch masters and find out what they have to say..
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Thanks all for your replies..

I agree with you.. I need to contact Clutch Masters and ask them what the hell happened. especially that they claim their clutch Stage III claims to handle around 700 LB of torque..

I'm actually getting the parts out of the car to check exactly what happened... from some experienced guys in my area they said that the possibilities are as follows:

1. The clutch is made out of Kevlar and that might have been too strong for the Stock FlyWheel (even though Clutch masters say that it can be installed on the stock Flywheel)

2. Some kept on asking me do you keep running on or dropping the clutch... Other then your usual traffic changing into first gear to get the car moving.. i never run my clutch or drop it.

3. Some say it could be a minor incorrect installation that with time quickly worn out the clutch..

So, I am getting the parts in the next couple of days just to see which part is really damaged..

keep you posted!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Default stock clutch working fine.. so far

hello people..

Well, I got my car back from the dealer... turns out that I had to change the fly wheel, the clutch disk and the pressure plate.. (basically the whole clutch system)...

I put the stock parts (original) ... Seems the car is running fine and the clutch is handling the power just like the dealer said... Not sure how long is it going to last.... I don't put that much mileage on the car every year any way so it should keep me up and running for the next year or so..

we'll see
Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

hello people..

Well, I got my car back from the dealer... turns out that I had to change the fly wheel, the clutch disk and the pressure plate.. (basically the whole clutch system)...

I put the stock parts (original) ... Seems the car is running fine and the clutch is handling the power just like the dealer said... Not sure how long is it going to last.... I don't put that much mileage on the car every year any way so it should keep me up and running for the next year or so..

we'll see
The stock clutch seems to be able to handle up to 580ft/lbs (Alex on here has been runninga stock clutch with his Cargraphic 544PS/798M set up for a while with no probs) - it may slip if the ambient temperature falls.... I think you will be fine
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Glad you got it sorted, in case you need more clamping force in the near future make sure you stick to Sachs kits and organic discs, check out the 993TT forum there is a recent thread about clutches with some part numbers...

Oh! and dont let Taj sell you anything from Gemballa!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Thanks Jean,

I think I had enough upgrades for now... So sorry in advance to Taj from Gemballa.

If I do upgrade the clutch I would go for a full system (flywheel, Pressure Plates, and Clutch Disk) this way at least a would ensure compatilbility of all parts...

The car is running fine even with the Sport mode on... lots of power, smooth delivery of the clutch... I just have that imaginary sense of burning carbon in the back of my nose... looks like it will take a while for me to get over the psychological drama of the clutch burning again...

Quick Reply: Burnt Clutch Masters Stage III -- need advice