Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs

hey fellas this one is of interest to those of you with Bilstein Coilover kits on your 997TT... Over the last year or so we've talked to many shops and all of them have seen failures with the provided bilstein drop links. We've been installing similar kits on other AWD cars for over 6 years without one single failure but some point last year Bilstein decided to change the design of their drop links (perhaps due to cost?) and they are now a weak point. The plastic insert eventually pops out and comes apart.

The come apart like so:

You can see Bilstein's older design as used on PSS9 kits from the past. Notice the end itself is a different design and much akin to OEM. With those we never had problems (ever). Funnily enough the PSS10 kits have now also reverted back to the old design again (thankfully).

Here's a picture showing the drop link design of "old" (that used to work and looks like OEM as well) vs the "new" which just isn't up to snuff:

Either way we brought this to RSS' attention (as they had also seen failures like this) and they've made a stronger (and adjustable for those sway bar kits) replacement kit. This kit is now available and I'd suggest checking your front drop links out.

Here's what the folks at RSS made for us (cheers lads):

Here's the orientation of them in case you are wondering (from bilstein's instructions):

For those of you with "noise" in the front area of your suspension go ahead and check to see if the drop links have failed. There's always hope that Bilstein will revert back to the older/OEM-style design that they used to use which never failed (indeed they did this on the PSS10 after enough complaints) but until then here's what you might end up needing:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=244
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Like many others...mine were installed improperly and have since been re-done...

Shouldn't they be ok now?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by raclaims
Like many others...mine were installed improperly and have since been re-done...

Shouldn't they be ok now?
Hey reclaims I would check the ball ends of your links just to see what style they are. If they're plastic there's a food chance they could be on the way out
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

They are definitely plastic...
Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by raclaims
They are definitely plastic...
Take a peak in there and see how they're holding up...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Will do...just what I need...more time with the car in the shop!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 300 Posts

It is probably obvious, but if you don't a lift, you can just stick a digital camera behind the wheel to visually check your drop links.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So frustrating Alex that I still can't see any pics you post!!!

These are what my Bilstein drop links look like. Can you please tell me if these are the good or the bad ones?

<click on thumbnails to enlarge>
Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
So frustrating Alex that I still can't see any pics you post!!!

These are what my Bilstein drop links look like. Can you please tell me if these are the good or the bad ones?

<click on thumbnails to enlarge>
Hey Alex, bummer that you can't see the pix Hmm... have you tried from another PC?

I can see yours and they do look like the plastic-style old ones Looks like you have upgraded sways too...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Hey Alex

Yeh, it isn't my PC as I have 3 of them round me right now, and none of them work. Plus my iPhone can't see them either. I guess your image servers are blocking based on my UK IP. I can see most of the pics on your website though.

Anyway, bad news about my decrepit drop-links though. Will get onto my Bilstein fitter and see what he suggests. And yes, they are GMG sways.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

From the GMG site in describing my sways:

The GMG WC Sport Sway bar kit is designed to work with the factory drop links and does not require the use of a rod end style drop link to clear the front axles which ensures that you dont have unwanted noise and popping due to the use of in-expensive rod ends used by most competitors.
So I guess if my Bilstein front drop-links die (rear ones are still stock) then I can just put the original Porsche ones back in...
Old 09-01-2009, 03:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Alex

Yeh, it isn't my PC as I have 3 of them round me right now, and none of them work. Plus my iPhone can't see them either. I guess your image servers are blocking based on my UK IP. I can see most of the pics on your website though.

Anyway, bad news about my decrepit drop-links though. Will get onto my Bilstein fitter and see what he suggests. And yes, they are GMG sways.
Understood So weird that your IP is blocking them... I guess it could be called car "****" but still? See what sort of shape they're in...

From the GMG site in describing my sways:

So I guess if my Bilstein front drop-links die (rear ones are still stock) then I can just put the original Porsche ones back in...
Unfortunately the factory ones won't work.. the ends will and you could custom make some like that;(
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
TTJunkie

You can call Bilstein and get authorization for replacement. Bilstein will pay for the parts and labor.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
TTJunkie

Also: You can see images once you log in. You'll just see a red x if you navigated to the page from a search engine.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Adjustable ones are apparently a nightmare from shaking loose after a few thousand miles of bumpy road driving (like we have here in the UK). So I would never fit anything other than Bilstein, stock Turbo or GT3 spec drop links myself.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Drop Link Kit for those of you with Bilstein Coil Overs