Sponsored by:

ECU Flash Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
650Demon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Flash Options

Been searching on what is the best option for flashing my ECU on my new 997 Turbo. I have seen EVOMS, APR, EVOTech, and Softronic. I dont want to pull my ECU out of the car so wondering what opinions people have. I just came across this post on 6speed that Softronic is doing flashes from the OBD port. Anyone seen this yet? I saw the link here http://www.softronictuning.com/produ...-has-launched/

thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i recomend softronic, but you will have to remove the box and send it to him.....vinnie
Old 08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have GIAC and love it...took the dealer about 1/2 hour to install. Have had zero issues...no CELs...but it transforms the car. I was nuts for not doing it sooner...I would have sold the car already if I hadn't done this.

Good luck...I haven't heard anything bad about any of the flashes..
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 300 Posts

GIAC, Switzer, and Ruf (probably a couple of others I am forgetting) should also be included on your list. I think most of the flash options are solid. You will hear lots of opinions on which one is "the best," but keep in mind, most people have never tried multiple options on the same car and most people justify whatever they chose (I am sure there is some psychology in play). Some of the tuners get results using methods that make me unconfortable.

I did a lot of research and ended up choosing EVOMS. I am really happy with the choice. Personally, I don't think removing the ECU is a big deal; you will probably only do it once the entire time you own the car so I would not let that be the deciding factor. You should consider changing the exhaust and could do both at the same time.

Regarding the stock file claims of Softronics, there are other tuners who can reinstall your exact stock file but there are no tuners who can make the fact the ECU has been flashed completely invisible to Porsche. So, what good is the stock file? You can probably fool the dealer when they service the car but what you really want is the ability to keep your factory warranty intact. Once you flash your car, your factory warranty is in jeopardy. These engines are strong and Porsche is going to be very interested if one fails. They will look at everything and will easily discover that your ECU has been flashed, regardless of which file is loaded on the ECU and which tuner you used. Do your homework and choose the product you like.

Last edited by sparkhill; 08-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 650Demon
Been searching on what is the best option for flashing my ECU on my new 997 Turbo. I have seen EVOMS, APR, EVOTech, and Softronic. I dont want to pull my ECU out of the car so wondering what opinions people have. I just came across this post on 6speed that Softronic is doing flashes from the OBD port. Anyone seen this yet? I saw the link here http://www.softronictuning.com/produ...-has-launched/

thanks
650Demon,

Before you make a decision, I urge you to read this page, then contact me.

I would like the chance to go into detail as to why G.I.A.C. is the finest software on the market.

Link:
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...s&IL=997TTgiac

My Email:
Mike@AWE-Tuning.com
Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
tclayj
5th Gear

I have an APR tune with FVD exhaust and love it. I considered EVOMS and at times wonder if the EVOMS would yield greater performance. I chose APR over EVOMS because a dealer was in my area. There is a lot of discussion on APR, Randy Probst, on 6speedonline currently.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
i recomend softronic, but you will have to remove the box and send it to him.....vinnie
Actually you do not need to remove the "box" and send it anywhere. All done now via their USB client cable through your lap top to OBDII port. All you need is a lap top and internet service along with their cable and ECU file (which is e-mailed to you).
Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM
bbywu
Instructor

Originally Posted by sparkhill
GIAC, Switzer, and Ruf (probably a couple of others I am forgetting) should also be included on your list.
I do not believe Switzer does their own programming. They outsource to Protomotive...also an amazing choice.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM
mgarbe
AutoX

My dealer has indicated that flashing the ECU may void the warranty if anything subsequently happens to the engine. Has anyone out there had an issue?

Quick Reply: ECU Flash Options