Sponsored by:

dealer repair records

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
ed997tt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer repair records

Hi guys, have been lurking and learning for a while and this is my first post. Hope to be contributor by joining the club with a 2008 997tt. Looking at a CPO car and per dealer they can not access repair history data if work perfrormed at another dealer. Is that the case with Porsche? Also requested the DME rev test info that I read about in a thread which they can provide. Any other input or watch out for info I should be aware of? Your input would be much appreciated. thanks, ed.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi Ed,
Welcome to RL.
If you're in the US, I would check out a carfax on it. That should tell you if there's been any accident repair work. As you said, have a look at the DME scan but my guess is if the DME scan was really bad that they wouldn't be offering it as CPO.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
ed997tt
8th Gear

Thanks. Checked that already, was just trying to get the more detailed records.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ed997tt
Hi guys, have been lurking and learning for a while and this is my first post. Hope to be contributor by joining the club with a 2008 997tt. Looking at a CPO car and per dealer they can not access repair history data if work perfrormed at another dealer. Is that the case with Porsche? Also requested the DME rev test info that I read about in a thread which they can provide. Any other input or watch out for info I should be aware of? Your input would be much appreciated. thanks, ed.
Yes. When I looked into the servicing my 03 Turbo had I had in front of my some printout showing the car's history. Several dealerships listed as having serviced the car for various minor warranty covered conditions.

I called the dealers and asked about what servicing the car had received. After supplying the last 6 to 8 digits of the car's VIN I was told what had been done to the car. I spoke with 3 dealerships in the area to accumulate this info.

A CarFax can tell you where car spent some time. From this you can learn of Porsche dealers in the areas where the car spent some time. Call the the dealers and see what you can learn about what servicing was performed.

Yes, there was with the CPO documentation a VIN CLAIM SUMMARY LISTING and it listed 2 dealers in the area. The dealer that had the car for sale was not listed but I was told by the dealership it had sold the car. (You can call PCNA customer service and with VIN find out which dealer received the car originally and in most cases this will be the dealer that sold the car.) I called the 2 dealerships listed on this summary list and learned what services and when the car had.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM
ed997tt
8th Gear

Thx Macster!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

When I had an 01 C4 the dealer could run a report that was as Macster described. Now the only reports available are those from the selling dealer. In other words, only if the car was serviced in their shop. You can call Porsche and they will tell you the same thing. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default The report...

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
When I had an 01 C4 the dealer could run a report that was as Macster described. Now the only reports available are those from the selling dealer. In other words, only if the car was serviced in their shop. You can call Porsche and they will tell you the same thing. Good luck.
The report I mentioned was run just this year, in June. It was run as part of the CPO process, was included in the CPO file/folder I received when I bought the 03 Turbo June 14 this year.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

ok that's the best possible way, they must have changed recently. sorry for any misinformation
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The dealer should be able to pull anything up, but there might not be much for an 08 with that few miles.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
ed997tt
8th Gear

thx guys - it is a done deal. picked it up this weekend. slate grey, black interior, pccb, adaptive seats, sport chrono, short shifter, carbon package and carbon steering wheel, LSD. will get some pics posted. plan to go either fabspeed or tubi on the exhaust.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

IIRC, PCNA has no central database for repairs and service (other than TSB's, etc.) - you have to get repair and service info from the servicing dealer.

Quick Reply: dealer repair records