Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory and museum visit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:51 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Default Factory and museum visit

My dealer recently arranged a factory tour. Unfortunatately, checking the camera in the lockers was a requirement but otherwise it was quite interesting to see 911s and Boxsters being assembled on the same line. Interestingly, there is only one robot on the line and that is to install both the front and rear glass. Everything else is done by hand. Painting is semi-automatic and there is a signature of the worker under the left rear tail light (you must remove the assembly). Also, the DIN standards allow a variance of plus or minus 5 horsepower from the advertised HP but Porsche standards for the engine are only on the plus side. Engine production is high automated but they don't let you get too close. Very surprised to see the size of the sound suppressors for the exhaust prior to the muffler but this explains why my turbo is too quiet for 480 HP (sort of like a Buick Century and why there is a big aftermarket for exhausts). Plenty of turbos but no GT2 or GT3 production on the day of my visit.

The cars in the museum are as expected but the building is an engineering masterpiece (I am a chemical and mechanical engineer).

Saw several Panameras (from the front, they look like big 911s) and they really did not let anybody to close.

The people were friendly and the guard even let me park right in front of the guardhouse.
Old 06-04-2009 | 02:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your insight. Many years ago they used to say that the assemblers would sign the car in th area of the RR taillight but I didn't see any sign of that the last time I had that part of my car apart.
Old 06-04-2009 | 02:04 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Thanks for your insight. Many years ago they used to say that the assemblers would sign the car in th area of the RR taillight but I didn't see any sign of that the last time I had that part of my car apart.
Uh oh, you must have a bootleg. Made in China.
Old 06-04-2009 | 03:41 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Papa
Interestingly, there is only one robot on the line and that is to install both the front and rear glass. Everything else is done by hand.
It was the same in 1999 when I visited.
Old 06-05-2009 | 12:50 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Some cool photos of the museum in the current Excellence. I will definitely visit next time I'm in Germany.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:00 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Frankly, I didn't see the signature even though I looked but they made a big deal about saying it was there (I left my glasses in the rental car). I wish they would have answered questions about increasing the power but unfortunately, I couldn't get a clue - best exhaust, optimum chip tuning, suspension bushings, etc. Papa
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:00 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Frankly, I didn't see the signature even though I looked but they made a big deal about saying it was there (I left my glasses in the rental car). I wish they would have answered questions about increasing the power but unfortunately, I couldn't get a clue - best exhaust, optimum chip tuning, suspension bushings, etc. Papa

Quick Reply: Factory and museum visit