Sponsored by:

'09 TT front spoiler lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
F16 Chuck
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 TT front spoiler lip

I am looking for a solution to the "painful" grinding every time the front end spoiler lip goes over anything over 6" or so. Between my driveway and the end of the street, there are at least 3 places where the dip in the road grinds the hell out of this appendage. And there are about another 6 before I get to the office and another 4 taking the kids to school.

It doesn't matter if I go over them at a 90 degree, 45 degree or 180 degree angle. I have also noticed that the only time I get the finger (generally) when I am in the car is when I have to slow down to a crawl to navigate around the worst of these and the guy in the SUV behind me has to slam on the brakes.

I can't imagine that this small lip adds anything turly meaningful in terms of significant downforce at 99% of the speeds I generally travel, although admittedly it looks good.

Sooner or later I am certain that I will hit something with this lip and crack it, and it will then look like one of those Honda Civic "tuner" car fiberglass add-ons that are always smashed. So I am thinking about just taking the lip off and saving it for a track day or something. Has anyone done this, and if so how big a job is it?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

The replacement lips are pretty cheap from Suncoast Porsche (about $150 delivered). There are two Torx head screws that come out and the rest of the lip just snaps into place. It will look horrible if you take it off and do not replace it.

If you want to spend some money look into these:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=197
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=211

I am getting the Cargraphics Airlift a little more than a week.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad there aren't any front protection bars for 997TT like on the 993's:

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93070.htm
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cargraphic lift kit add-on.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-lift-kit.html
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by F16 Chuck
I am looking for a solution to the "painful" grinding every time the front end spoiler lip goes over anything over 6" or so. Between my driveway and the end of the street, there are at least 3 places where the dip in the road grinds the hell out of this appendage. And there are about another 6 before I get to the office and another 4 taking the kids to school.

It doesn't matter if I go over them at a 90 degree, 45 degree or 180 degree angle. I have also noticed that the only time I get the finger (generally) when I am in the car is when I have to slow down to a crawl to navigate around the worst of these and the guy in the SUV behind me has to slam on the brakes.

I can't imagine that this small lip adds anything turly meaningful in terms of significant downforce at 99% of the speeds I generally travel, although admittedly it looks good.

Sooner or later I am certain that I will hit something with this lip and crack it, and it will then look like one of those Honda Civic "tuner" car fiberglass add-ons that are always smashed. So I am thinking about just taking the lip off and saving it for a track day or something. Has anyone done this, and if so how big a job is it?
On my 07, I would engage Sport mode before driveway entrance, etc. - seemed to help by tightening up shock compression and rebound.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I just let it scrape. I do my best to avoid it but some transitions make it impossible.

Mine is not painted and that makes it easier to live with. I figure is it gets real bad, I'll just replace it.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
On my 07, I would engage Sport mode before driveway entrance, etc. - seemed to help by tightening up shock compression and rebound.
+1

I have been doing this for 4 years now with no scrapes. It really works. You still have to go slowly over bumps and curbs, but you won't scrape if your PASM is in Sport mode.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cowhorn:

PM Sent.

Mike
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I put an ABS skid plate on my 997S shortly after getting back from Europe with it. From Performance Products. Augment it with more fasteners than they provide.
PICS:
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow you must have some really big dips where you live.. I have my car for a year now with it lowered and I hardly ever scrape the front lip... Now I did have a lowered C2S with areokit and it was a real pain to keep it from scraping. I went threw 3 lips on that car in 2 years .
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Here you go fellas here's one option we tried...
YouTube - TechArt noselift kit on 700HP Porsche @ SharkWerks

Quick Reply: '09 TT front spoiler lip