Sponsored by:

ECU Flash & Factory Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ECU Flash & Factory Warranty?

Since I am new to the Porsche Turbo world I have spent quite a bit of time reading thru the recent history of ECU flashing.
What I find is allot of tuners have done very good things with the 997 GT2/TT and choosing between the various ECU flashes difficult but you can't really get it wrong.

The one real problem is the warranty issue, I can't see how you can get around this. If there is a failure of the engine or transmission I believe your on your own.

They can tell if you have flashed your computer, in the program it keeps track by count... how many times it has been flashed.
It keeps track of miles so you cannot switch ECU's. The can tell if you change the redline.
There is wifi set-up in the dealerships that instantly sends you're ECU report to the Regional Porsche (warranty) rep from the scanner, each and every time.

If there is a major problem they will find out quickly if you have changed the program in the ECU in any way.

I hope I am wrong but do not see how to get around this...it's a very pricey gamble flashing these cars.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I am no expert, but I did ask the head tech at my dealership (he is a long-time buddy, enthusiast and he races Porsches), and he cautioned against it because of the warranty issues, so I think there is a real issue here.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They can tell much more about your car than you've mentioned.
If they have a court order, you'd be really surprised how much they can download.

Basically, if you alter the configuration of the vehicle as delivered from the manufacturer and said alteration is at the center of a warranty claim (and yes, it's a bit subjective on PCNA's part), then you can be denied warranty coverage.

It varies from dealer to dealer and PCNA district manager to district manager, but in these current financial times, (high $) warranty claims are reviewed much more than in the past.

Quick Reply: ECU Flash & Factory Warranty?