Sponsored by:

07 White Turbo Wet Sand

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 White Turbo Wet Sand

Most Porsche owners are happy with the condition of their paint, many never even noticing that Porsche paint is high on the "orange peel" look for high end sports cars.

This is even more true for white Porsche owners....but there are a few that even after some minor cosmetic and tuning modifications want that little extra zing so this particular Turbo owner wanted his paint wet sanded and as much orange peel removed as possible, while keeping it safe.

Now many of you may not see any difference....partly because I took some really bad pictures of this and partly because, well it's white!

The first thing to do was remove as many parts of the Porsche as possible like the tail lights, headlights, side markers, side intakes, etc.

Then tape off edges and moldings. The Porsche owner also wanted the yellowing rock chip guards on the rear hips removed and replaced with new 3M film pieces. I apologize for the lack of a proper AFTER picture of the new film but after we had replaced the film it was optically clear and could not be detected except for the outside line of the film edge.

This is a picture of the original film.

I wet sanded and buffed out the bumper first because we were going to apply a clear bra to the lower bumper piece only.

Then we started the wet sanding with 2000 grit then 3000 grit papers.

Now comes a great lack of pictures for the "during" process....we're just to busy at times to keep up with it all, especially on such a time consuming process as this.

So here are a few AFTER pictures....again it's white (and the overcast skies didn't help either) so the true effects of a wet sand can't be seen through these pictures but in person it's very flat and super reflective. Oh....we also placed on some new wheels for the owner. Hope you enjoy the pictures anyway.

If you want your Porsche wet sanded always look for someone who is experienced in this type of cosmetic work. Ask for references. It's a time consuming job and it's very messy, not fun at all, but the results are worth it.

Anthony
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

you can also detect orange peel in red cars. like you said it is not readiliy apperent, but if you look at some of the body panels under certain light conditions, you can readily see it. you are right the porsche should do a better paint job for the money. nice work.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

You need 'after' pics that are close ups so we can get a real sense of what's up!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice Anthony!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manny_g
you can also detect orange peel in red cars. like you said it is not readiliy apperent, but if you look at some of the body panels under certain light conditions, you can readily see it. you are right the porsche should do a better paint job for the money. nice work.
Thank You

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
You need 'after' pics that are close ups so we can get a real sense of what's up!
I agree with ya here....but it's white! Rather difficult to get a good idea of what the paint is like in the flesh but I can try when he brings it back in in about a week or so for a check up on the paint coating we applied to the paint. I'll see if I can't get some better and more up close pictures.

Originally Posted by gota911
Nice Anthony!
Thanks Tim, appreciate that.

Anthony
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco

I agree with ya here....but it's white! Rather difficult to get a good idea of what the paint is like in the flesh but I can try when he brings it back in in about a week or so for a check up on the paint coating we applied to the paint. I'll see if I can't get some better and more up close pictures.

Anthony
anthony...i would be more than happy to volunteer my car...hehehe. to bad i'm in florida..
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Manny......Ummmm, truck it out to me and I'll take of it!

Actually we are thinking of offering that type of service BUT Florida might be a stretch (we are thinking mainly in Texas state areas) considering there are some fine detailers in the Florida area but if that's something you are interested in let me know.

Anthony
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Anthony
After owning no less then 9 white cars; I'll tell the difference!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of wheels are those in the after car was resanded pic? they look like Champion RS 171 but a little different...
Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and I'll bet you see fine scratches after the wax wears off. Porsche paints them just fine thank you.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GeoT3
what kind of wheels are those in the after car was resanded pic? they look like Champion RS 171 but a little different...
I believe you're correct but they have been painted. Silver and white. The owner has 3 sets of wheels all different colors and designs.....changes them out like I change shoes

Anthony
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dertub
and I'll bet you see fine scratches after the wax wears off. Porsche paints them just fine thank you.
Possible......but not likely.

Reasons being is that I did numerous polishing steps to ensure that the wet sanding marks were gone.

The panels were wiped down with alcohol before a new step was started. This removes any excess polishing oils that could hide some swirls and sanding marks.

I polished the Porsche out under revealing lighting. At all angles all evidence of sanding marks and swirls were gone.

This isn't the first car I have wet sanded and I care for many of those I have done on a regular basis and so far no marks have returned.

Lastly, I didn't wax the car but it was coated. Wax can't hide sanding marks, if anything it may enhance them.

Thanks for looking,
Anthony
Old 03-14-2009, 03:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 50 Likes on 11 Posts

You know the only thing that bothers me about the TT is its a $150k car or so,
Porsche cant make real vents on the sides that feed the intercoolers. As on the 993 Turbo S.
what would it cost Porsche to lose the fake intakes? Its such a pretty car and
they put plastic intake vents on the side. Might as well cover the hole with
black plastic
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure what you mean Paul, the vents are fully functional as far as I know.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Orange peel is more noticeable with non-metallic paints. Even so, there doesn't appear to be much of it on my basalt black 997. Most of the finish is glassy smooth; better than some cars I have had in the past.

Quick Reply: 07 White Turbo Wet Sand