Sponsored by:

Rennline pedals

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennline pedals

A while back I purchased a set of Rennline pedals for my 997 Turbo through CoolCava Racing here in the UK. This was to help me with heal and toeing given the very high biting pedal for my ceramic brakes - I just couldn't reach the throttle without full braking all the time, something that I rarely do on public roads.

2 weeks later and they arrived!!

Thursday evening I set about installation. I put together the throttle pedal as much as I could prior to getting near the car itself, this was pretty straight-forward and could be done from the comfort of my desk.

Starting point:

I then drilled the 3 holes required for the lifter plate using the cut-out template provided in the instructions. Sadly though after drilling the holes the bottom left hole was about 1cm too low and too left - so I had to drill another hole! Not to worry I suppose as the lifter plate covers the mistake hole anyway...

Next I screwed in the lifter base plate:

Followed by the main pedal (constructed earlier):

Next up, the brake pedal. I was scratching my head for a while how to get the stock rubber grip off, then I found that the whole thing is just a rubber cover for the pedal which you can just pull off from the back:

So once I got that off I then had to drill some holes for the screws. Frustratingly though this was very hard to do as the angles are really tough to get at with a drill and this pedal is made of metal so it slipped each time, and again afterwards I found my alignment of holes slightly out

After getting the hole right the next issue then was tightening the screws into the bolts behind the pedal - especially as my initial holes were too close to the vertical metal stem of the pedal so the bolts wouldn't fit. It took me about 1 hour just for this part alone!!

By the time I got this far it was getting dark so I decided to abandon the last pedal (clutch - which looks like it is plastic not metal) for tomorrow. So I went for a little drive to test them out.

Immediately heal-and-toeing was SO EASY!! The brake is right level with the throttle now, I can 'blip' under any braking load. It's great. The only thing to watch is under heavy braking it's very easy to catch the throttle pedal so you have to be aware of this. Just needs a little practice I suppose.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Report part II...

So this morning my brain finally kicked in and I realized that what I needed was a MIRROR to see the back of the pedals. D'oh!! This helped massively, especially when planning where to drill the holes and for tightening the bolts at the back.

I also spotted that the Rennline recommended top-lower hole (for a 997) was actually restricting the throttle pedal at the back. That's like 50bhp gone right there!!

So I switched to the (non-997 recommened) top-top hole to resolve the issue, giving:

Final result:

I then took the car out for another drive and after I re-adjusted the pedals a little more I was no longer catching the throttle when I applied for full brakes. Now it rocks - I love this mod!!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate to tell you this, but you put the pedals on the wrong side of the car!

Seriously, great write up and pics. They look great.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Very nice, those red extensions are a must especially if you like to heel and toe all the time. I am using the upper part only and it is one of the best mods I have done.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

NOTICE:

I have heard on other forums that if you fitted the baseplate top self-tapping top screw to the Rennline recommended lower-top hole then you will be restricting the throttle pedal from going all the way down!!

Please check this if you already have the Rennline pedals in your car.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
AAHTT
Racer

I was gonna tell u to watch out because when I first did mine i had a little scare, I must have used a screw just a bit too tall on top of the gas pedal and when i went WOT the screw dug into the carpet and got stuck there with the pedal floored and the car flying. I had to shut down the engine and coast to safety before hitting anyone and without much overrevving.

Quick Reply: Rennline pedals