Sponsored by:

The Porsche Exchange near Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts
Default The Porsche Exchange near Chicago

I am considering buying a Cobalt blue 997 TT from this dealership. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience they can share?

I am from Charlotte so service is not a concern, just comments on dealer in general on the sales side.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked with a sales person there named Faris - he was very professional, cordial and knew his product. Actually looked to put me in a less expensive product (Cayman S) over a base 911 as I'm a rookie with rear-engined cars.

In reading reviews about them, including many at Cayman Club, the consensus from people in this area (Chicago): professional and ethical but overpriced. In Chicago we have 5 dealers to chose from, so we have a relatively competitive market.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my Carerra serviced there in the past.

They are expensive. They are located in a very affluent community in northern Illinois.

Never tried buying a car from them, however.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
They are located in a very affluent community
Where else would you expect to find a Porsche dealer?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

What kind of response was that?

You are a moron. There are multiple levels of "affluence" especially in Chi-town.

Plenty of P-car dealers are within walking distance of some of the poorest communities in the country.

If ignorance is bliss.... you should be smiling.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Sorry if my attempt at humor didn't work over the internet though the demographics should be pretty obvious for dealership locations.

I have dealt with Faris and he's a good guy and definitely knows his stuff. The Porsche Exchange has an 'understanding' with the Highland Park police and you can really open up a car on a test drive (at least relative to the other Chicago area dealers I'm familiar with).
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a point of comparison I was quoted about 15 - 20% higher estimate for maintanence work at Porsche Exchange (Highland Park) vs Loeber Motors (Lincolnwood).

I had an interesting incident a few years ago at PE. A fellow RL asked me to check out a used car there and I agreed to do so. I reported back to him on the condition of the car. A week later he wrote to me saying that the dealership told him one of my friends had purchaced it! How they knew who I was (I didn't introduce myself) or who my friends are (few and far between and nobody who owns a p-car) I've never been able to figure out.

Maybe a case of mistaken identity?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

One other thing to consider is sales tax--its probably 8-9% in Lake County. There may be other Illinois fees you're not used to in NC. If you can get around these by having the car shipped out of state you're good, otherwise its something else to keep in mind.

Apropos of nothing, the Porsche Exchange (in a prior building, perhaps with a prior name) was the Porsche/Audi dealer in Risky Business.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A good friend tried to buy a car there last yr, very crappy customer service, arrogant in fact, very expensive to boot. He passed, ended up buying from one of the other windy city dealers.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good dealer but pricey, was going to get the C4S from them but got a better deal at Loeber. I was looking at the cobalt 997TT they have now as well, but Faris wouldn't budge on the price...I figure the car is worth 95k, maybe 100k max, it was at 110k at that point, now 105k. I'd wait them out a bit, given this market you should be get it at 95k now or at least in the near future.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i concure , they are pricy, they wont budge that much

Quick Reply: The Porsche Exchange near Chicago