Sponsored by:

Squeaking Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cos
I guess it's something that "comes with the territory".
I guess it does, my second 997 turbo had the steel brakes and it was nice not to have to think or hear the squeaking. When I got my third, '08 PCCB equipped, turbo I hoped the squeaking was an anomaly on the first car but it soon turned out it wasn't. Still good to have them because of no brake dust.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cos
OK, Denis, thanks.
I guess it's something that "comes with the territory".

I also experienced the "squeak by themselves without touching the brakes" phenomenon the other day and it startled and scared me.

I'm thinking that this could be happening because the clearance (gap) between the rotor surface and whatever makes contact with it to produce braking is very, very small. When I first drove this car, I noticed that the slightest touch on the brake pedal would produce immediate and strong braking. The brakes are very, very sensitive to the slightest touch on the pedal.

So I'm thinking that the slightest build-up of any film on the rotor surface (e.g. rust from humidity) will produce the squeaking.
No experience with PCCBs but my 996 Turbo's iron brakes develop a similar noise and I find washing the brakes helps.

I use a nearby carwash and set the selector to wash and give the brake hardware (pads/rotor) and wheel hub a good spray. I do not jam the wand nozzle right down in the gap between the caliper and rotor but I do make sure to really spray the area well.

The dust build up can be alot. I've seen the water run with a distinct black tint to it. 'course with PCCBs the dust being lighter in color might not discolor the wtaer any.

Then I go around and thoroughly rinse each wheel.

Then I go around once more using the spotless rinse setting -- and its lower pressure -- thoroughly rinse the area getting the nozzle in closer to the pad/rotor areas.

Be sure to drive the car enough, use the brakes enough, to completely dry them. While this might not be as critical with PCCBs -- however I'd not take a chance -- with iron brakes it is very very important they do not sit wet.

Why I believe this helps and it does quiet my car's brakes is this removes the build up of brake dust on the piston dust boots. This dust weighs down and interferes with the natural tendency of the piston seals to slighly retract the piston from pad and allow the pad to come away from the disc a bit.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As a Porsche driver since I was a teenager, I can tell you precisely the problem. You have to be more aggressive with the brake pedal. The typical stop and go action in a congested area will begin to develop a glaze on the pads/rotors which promote the squealing. The same thing happens with PCCBs, but perhaps to a lesser extent.

It has nothing to do with dust, or lack of dust. It's all about technique. When the squealing gets so annoying that you can't stand it anymore--take the car out in the country where you don't have to worry about someone tail-gating you and run it up to 65 mph and then do a couple of panic stops. Heating them up will break through the glaze and you are back in business.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It has nothing to do with dust, or lack of dust. It's all about technique. When the squealing gets so annoying that you can't stand it anymore--take the car out in the country where you don't have to worry about someone tail-gating you and run it up to 65 mph and then do a couple of panic stops. Heating them up will break through the glaze and you are back in business.
I know when I clean my disc the squealing immediately goes away too. I have tried re-bedding the pads and that will work sometimes but washing the disc fixs it everytime.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Brakes