Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OneManTX
I agree with this sentiment, and where I live it is a moot point. But, if I still lived in the Rust Belt, I would worry about road salt sending my car to an early grave. What do those of you who drive year-round in snowy climates do?
Forum member 'T2' has ~ 180K miles on 996TT and has driven year round in New England for quite a while now.....with no issues.
I'd suggest asking him for his thoughts.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonoz
Unfortunately, in the great white north, driving a turbo is associated with awful consequences, like being smashed to bits or stuck in a snowbank.
I checked with my dealership and they only suggested attaching a trickle battery charger, filling the gas tank full and over inflating the tires.....any other suggestions?
j
here you go. I'm always looking to add to the list so if anyone has other recommendations, please let me know.

http://993c4s.com/advise/mainenance-...-your-porsche/
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
I would also recommend changing the oil and filter prior to winter storage.
I've always been told this was a no no because by changing the oil before storage you are allowing for the potential of condensation build up in your new oil.

Aren't you better off doing one of the following?

1. Store with old oil and level slightly lower than normal. This way, come spring start up, you can add a small amount of fresh oil to give new fresh coverage/coating, then change oil after running to temp and burning off any condensation.

2. Change oil in spring just before running. Or, if you must run before changing, doing as you suggest, taking out fuse/relay, letting pressure build up and then start. Changing oil soon there after.

John
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
I've always been told this was a no no because by changing the oil before storage you are allowing for the potential of condensation build up in your new oil.

Aren't you better off doing one of the following?

1. Store with old oil and level slightly lower than normal. This way, come spring start up, you can add a small amount of fresh oil to give new fresh coverage/coating, then change oil after running to temp and burning off any condensation.

2. Change oil in spring just before running. Or, if you must run before changing, doing as you suggest, taking out fuse/relay, letting pressure build up and then start. Changing oil soon there after.

John

Wrong. Change the oil BEFORE it goes into storage. Imagine if you will that there is some moisture present in the old oil. With it sitting for 4 months without getting started up and heated up it will cause problems. Winterizing means replacing fluids up front.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Where do you get nitrogen for your tires?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
007tt911
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
here you go. I'm always looking to add to the list so if anyone has other recommendations, please let me know.

http://993c4s.com/advise/mainenance-...-your-porsche/
I follow the regime you posted to the letter and my car looks like it did when I took delivery at the dealership. The only additional thing I do beyond the above tips is to completely clean and oil the bottom of the engine, tansmission and other exposed metal parts before winter storage. If you drive a 911 turbo on winter days here in Nova Scotia it won't take long before nuts and exposed aluminum oxidizes and develops pits in the metal. Rock salt hides in the most unlikely places with less than savoury consequence. This isn't an acceptible outcome for a car that is more than just transportation. If you plan on flipping the car every few years, maybe attention to this type of detail isn't important. On the other hand if you hope to see the underside clean and bright ten years from now, just as it was made...put it away.
Thats why God made 4x4s or atleast thats the way I view it.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Wrong. Change the oil BEFORE it goes into storage. Imagine if you will that there is some moisture present in the old oil. With it sitting for 4 months without getting started up and heated up it will cause problems. Winterizing means replacing fluids up front.
Storage?
You guys are wimps!

Quick Reply: Winterizing.