Sponsored by:

Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Extended warranty?

I don't usually go for things like extended warranties, since they're usually a bad deal (hey, the warranty provider and others down the line need to make some money). The dealer recently sent a letter saying that they could sell me one, but I needed to do it by the 1 year mark. That's next Monday.

I called them today to get a quote. They're offering a 7 year/70k miles "platinum" warranty from JM&A for $3948. It would start immediately. Since the next 3 years would be concurrent with the factory warranty, this would really be a 4 year extension. They said that it would cover the same as the factory warranty, except for wear items like tires/brakes/etc, but I'll take that with a grain of salt 'til I read the actual contract.

Has anyone bought an extended warranty for a 997TT? I'm assuming the price is high, since this is the figure they offered me, and I'm assuming there is room to knock it down. Has anyone dealt with JM&A?

Any other pointers?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM
MistGt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just traded in our C2S for a 2007 997 TT. The car was delivered in 2006, and had about two years left on warranty. The kicker, though, is that the car only had about 3600 miles on it. We went ahead and worked the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty into the final price of the car. They sent us tons of info on it and to me it seemed way worth it. Porsches have great reps as far as reliability these days, but the extra coverage couldn't hurt. I believe the certified warranty offers 2 years and extends the mileage to 100k, but is slightly limited as you mention. However, if you bought this car new then I am not sure if you can make it certified...

In the end, if you're going to keep it for a long time as I plan to, that $4k could save you a TON of money down the road. Also, I would think the extended warranty could only help the value of your car if you ever did go to sell it.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty?