Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008 | 03:30 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I agree with both divergent opinions:
Live for today
Wait for the better car

The problem is that your wish to order "that special car" implies you want to keep it. It won't feel that special if the next one is way better.
As far as a 2 year lease, it depends on how much cash you want to burn. Depreciation over that limited span will be atrocious, but the acutal dollar amount may not matter to you.
If it does matter, I would buy the slightly used car today that will give you 95% of what you want, and wait for the truely special car tomorrow. Personally, I think Porsche has more that they are holding back, but as long as people buy the "old tech" stuff, there is no reason to up the ante. AS
Old 06-08-2008 | 04:04 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Live for today
Wait for the better car

The problem is that your wish to order "that special car" implies you want to keep it. It won't feel that special if the next one is way better.
As far as a 2 year lease, it depends on how much cash you want to burn. Depreciation over that limited span will be atrocious, but the acutal dollar amount may not matter to you.
If it does matter, I would buy the slightly used car today that will give you 95% of what you want, and wait for the truely special car tomorrow. Personally, I think Porsche has more that they are holding back, but as long as people buy the "old tech" stuff, there is no reason to up the ante. AS
Current 2 yr lease residuals are at 56% and falling for the 2008 997TT coupe. Last I checked, only $140K can be residualized so add some pricy options and it is one expensive lease indeed.

Residuals
Old 06-08-2008 | 09:03 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Live for today
Wait for the better car

I think your points are very sound Alex.

While I do wonder what the DFI and PDK will bring to the table, I don't think it will be enough to cause me to bang my head against a wall.

As a guy it's natural to want the latest and greatest of everything, but I'm guessing that in reality the current TT with a 6-speed represents the 'most' I would ever need in terms of performance.

I still love my C4S and am experiencing guilt about parting with it when the new car eventually arrives. I guess my point is that I'll likely be so damn happy with this TT that I won't part with it until the 991 mid-engine turbo arrives (cough-cough).
Old 06-08-2008 | 12:09 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
I guess my point is that I'll likely be so damn happy with this TT that I won't part with it until the 991 mid-engine turbo arrives (cough-cough).
Come on Dave... if you are like most of us on this form you will always want the latest and greatest. I told my wife when I got my 08 977 TT that this is the one I'll keep. Well that just wasn't true, several months later I have my GT2 arriving in August, and this is the one I will have a long time... yeah right, even my wife doesn't believe me anymore.

By the way my TT will be for sale soon it could hold you over until the 2010 comes out
Old 06-08-2008 | 12:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Come on Dave... if you are like most of us on this form you will always want the latest and greatest. I told my wife when I got my 08 977 TT that this is the one I'll keep. Well that just wasn't true, several months later I have my GT2 arriving in August, and this is the one I will have a long time... yeah right, even my wife doesn't believe me anymore.

By the way my TT will be for sale soon it could hold you over until the 2010 comes out
Thanks for the offer JP and congrats in advance on your GT2.
I'm not saying this will be the last car I'll ever buy, but my guess is I won't end up trading in for a PDK/DFI turbo in a few years. I have no desire to buy any other marquee and I'll always want AWD for my DD.
This car is going to be special,.....even more special than my C4S which I consider to be pretty damn special !!!!!
Oh who the hell am I kidding?
Old 06-08-2008 | 12:51 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Live for today
Wait for the better car

"Wait for the better car" - So, when do you buy one? There's always going to be something better.
Old 06-08-2008 | 03:12 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

In a word (or several words) do it, do not wait. The car as it is out of the box is simply awesome, esp. with LSD and PCCB.

Jeff

07 997 TT
Old 06-08-2008 | 07:10 PM
skyytek
Intermediate

now is a good time. In 2 years - get another one if you so desire. No time like the present.
Old 06-09-2008 | 01:09 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IF the GT1 motor goes away I will not buy another Porsche unless thats available in some sort of car.
SO if the 10 has the GT1 its a good buy if NOT then no way

get an 09.
Old 06-09-2008 | 05:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
IF the GT1 motor goes away I will not buy another Porsche unless thats available in some sort of car.
SO if the 10 has the GT1 its a good buy if NOT then no way

get an 09.
I just got back from Ira where I signed the purchase agreement.
I forgot how much fun it is to spec a car...I'm having a ball.
Old 06-09-2008 | 05:53 PM
vixapphire
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpcourt

man, i've been feeling really bad the last few months because i made the same "promise" to my wife about my current car that i bought last year, and proceeded to fall head-over-heels in love with a cayman S a couple of months ago... foolishly, i test-drove the CS and instantly knew that i need to have one; it makes the SL feel like i'm driving a 1970 cadillac fleetwood by comparison!

how does one sell the idea that "this time i really mean it!" about being the "keeper" car to the better half? especially when she's heard that tune many, many times before...
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:25 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vixapphire
man, i've been feeling really bad the last few months because i made the same "promise" to my wife about my current car that i bought last year, and proceeded to fall head-over-heels in love with a cayman S a couple of months ago... foolishly, i test-drove the CS and instantly knew that i need to have one; it makes the SL feel like i'm driving a 1970 cadillac fleetwood by comparison!

how does one sell the idea that "this time i really mean it!" about being the "keeper" car to the better half? especially when she's heard that tune many, many times before...
I have just stopped making promises we both know I will never keep. It helps that whenever I say, "I am thinking about keeping this one a while" she just laughs at me.
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:28 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Congrats on your order!
I do like the RS Orange on a turbo....

Dave,

If you do RS Orange please don't paint the front lip/grill/rockers. The black contrast is what makes the Orange pop so well.
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Dave,

If you do RS Orange please don't paint the front lip/grill/rockers. The black contrast is what makes the Orange pop so well.
Totally agree.
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:58 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

So what did you spec?

Quick Reply: Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???