Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:44 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Default Turbo exhaust note

I have been reading about numerous people not satisfied with the exhaust note, replacing with AWE or Tubi etc to make it louder.

After driving for a grand total of almost 70km now, I think the exhaust note is great. I have been driving an SLK55 which one car journalist described as "having the most aggressive exhaust note ever heard from a Mercedes" and I loved the sound.

However, this flat 6 is louder, deeper, and gives me goosebumps. Top up or down, sounds great. I can't imagine the exhaust changes with the destination country but I wouldn't want it any louder. Conspicuous enough as it is.
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:28 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Yes, I think Porsche definitely improved the stock exhaust sound around MY2008 model.

Still doesn't compare to an aftermarket exhaust though. Tubi or Cargraphic would be my recommendation.

...plus you get reduced Turbo lag which makes a large difference!
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:49 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

I have found that with more miles on the car the exhaust sounds a lot better...I confirmed this with my dealer...they said the same...I wouldn't spend the $ for an aftermarket exhaust...this one is great IMHO.
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:37 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i actually saw a friend taking delivery of his 997tt and as they were unloading from the transport vehicle, I asked him if he had ordered it with a sport exhaust because it sounded real good. He said that it was the factory exhaust... therfore i agree with you guys on this one.
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:53 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

I only got a medium loudness Cargraphic exhaust, but it is SOOOO much better sounding than stock...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=15

Much easier to hear the RPMs to know when to change gears and blip the throttle on down changes. Although probably irrelevant to you Tiptronic guys.
Old 04-15-2008 | 02:19 PM
cannga
Instructor

I have had both 997 C2 and 997 Turbo long term. My turbo is the latest generation MY 2008. It is really a matter of taste so there is no right or wrong, just my 2 cents and YMMV, etc., etc..The Turbo is more quiet and lacks the low frequency bubbling of the C2. Nothing wrong with this, EXCEPT that if you let most enthusiasts pick between the 2, I will *SPECULATE* that more will pick the non Turbo exhaust note. It is very attractive and satisfying to listen to the loud bubbling. Second, if you have been to a car show where exhaust notes are featured, 99% of sport cars sound louder and have a staccato nature, not the continuousness note of the Turbo. Whether 2008 is an improvement over 2007, it is still very quiet and too docile sounding, more luxury than sport IMHO.

There are 3 popular systems that I am familiar with: Tubi, AWE, and Cargraphic. I have listened and made recording of Cargraphic and AWE. Both are louder and provide that staccato character. AWE is lower in frequency and has super nice bubbling, cargraphic is higher in frequency and have a pleasant machine gun like staccato under load. Neither will turn this into a naturally aspirated engine sound, but does improve on what I consider sort of a "flaw" (opinion) of this car. If you want a nice comfortable note, nothing wrong with staying with stock.
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:22 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

This just reminds me...I'm not driving my car often enough...it's finally warmer out and it will become my daily driver again!
Old 04-15-2008 | 06:00 PM
bmodanlou
5th Gear

I've got little over 5K miles on my 997TT now, definitly sounds better now vs upon delivery. Was pretty disappointed w/ the exhaust note at first, esp considering my prior car was a C4S w/ the OEM sport exhaust option (nice rumble)... I was strongly considering aftermarket options, but after track the 997TT a couple of times, and getting some more miles on the odometer, it definitly has found its low end rumble, much better now.
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:00 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by bmodanlou
I've got little over 5K miles on my 997TT now, definitly sounds better now vs upon delivery. Was pretty disappointed w/ the exhaust note at first, esp considering my prior car was a C4S w/ the OEM sport exhaust option (nice rumble)... I was strongly considering aftermarket options, but after track the 997TT a couple of times, and getting some more miles on the odometer, it definitly has found its low end rumble, much better now.

I waited 8k miles before changing my exhaust and the improvement over the miles was minimal at best. The most annoying thing about the stock exhaust is that it does not allow you to drive and change gears by sound which I always liked to do, instead I had to keep an eye on the rpms all the time.
I went with the cargraphic loud version and never looked back.
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:11 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Obviously, appreciation for the exhaust note is a very subjective thing, and that's all good. I got my car in Sept 06, one of the first batches getting to the streets. I thought the sound was too docile, coming from a modded 930 with a superb sound. I went with AWE for a variety of reasons BEYOND the sound. Freer exhaust flow, slightly less lag, a little more power, and lower EGTs - all good things to have even if the sound were identical to stock.
Old 04-16-2008 | 12:25 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by raclaims
I have found that with more miles on the car the exhaust sounds a lot better...I confirmed this with my dealer...they said the same...I wouldn't spend the $ for an aftermarket exhaust...this one is great IMHO.
For me, its not the cost so much alto the systems are pricey. Its more the 5-8 hrs waiting for installation, often problems putting the tt back together correctly (entire bumper comes off), exhaust tips not lining up right, the possibility of drone, the possibility the sound is too loud and problems getting the system back to the supplier if unhappy, threats of engine light coming on which needs resetting, the threat of warranty problems, and finally issues when trading because exhaust not factory. Just changing the muffler to get that right sound would be best, but no one has that, the exhaust always comes with modified cats. And just changing the muffler should be much simpler. I have never heard the >15000 mileage stock exhaust sounding off next to one of these aftermarkets, but I bet the rumble is not much different. Maybe inside it may sound different.
Old 04-16-2008 | 10:47 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbojohn
For me, its not the cost so much alto the systems are pricey. Its more the 5-8 hrs waiting for installation, often problems putting the tt back together correctly (entire bumper comes off), exhaust tips not lining up right, the possibility of drone, the possibility the sound is too loud and problems getting the system back to the supplier if unhappy, threats of engine light coming on which needs resetting, the threat of warranty problems, and finally issues when trading because exhaust not factory. Just changing the muffler to get that right sound would be best, but no one has that, the exhaust always comes with modified cats. And just changing the muffler should be much simpler. I have never heard the >15000 mileage stock exhaust sounding off next to one of these aftermarkets, but I bet the rumble is not much different. Maybe inside it may sound different.
You can do the install yourself. Not really all that complicated. Save some coin, play with your car, see how it's put together, have a sense of accomlishment for a job well done, etc. etc. Just a thought.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:18 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
You can do the install yourself. Not really all that complicated. Save some coin, play with your car, see how it's put together, have a sense of accomlishment for a job well done, etc. etc. Just a thought.
Yeah right. I know you mean well. But as you noted from my 1st sentence, money is not the problem. I can imagine having my precious-tt torn down, and an exhaust bolt break...what a lost in much more time, i.e., in driving all over town for an easyout. I have done several exhaust systems when younger, but I really believe with exhaust systems, one gets their money's worth for the max-effort, hard work, special heating/mechanical equipment and black-art required. You have to give a lot of credit to these good techs....they have a tough job.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:40 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

uhm, its a 997turbo not a 25 year old rusted out mustang. It cant be more then a few years old and highly doubt any bolt would break while removing it.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:45 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Your exhaust sounds fine to you because you have a cab, they sound much better than coupes. Try driving a coupe and then post your thoughts. I had a 997S cab with PSE and that was a GREAT exhaust! My turbo coupe sounds like a combination between a Honda and a Hoover vacuum cleaner. It's too quiet and to be perfectly honest, I've completely stopped rev matching on downshifts because it's not fun anymore. I can hardly hear the engine and exhaust! I used to heel and toe all the time and was worried that I was being obnoxious with all the noise I made.

Quick Reply: Turbo exhaust note