= BMC air-filter + 200 cell exhaust (medium loudness) + ECU

SportsAuto performance results
Cargraphic 997 Turbo RSC 3.6
544 PS at 6,200 rpm
798 Nm at 3,770 rpm
151.1 PS/litre
1550 kg
357 bhp/ton

MSRP: 176,757 EUR (with options as tested)

0-100 km/h: 3.3 secs.
0-160 km/h: 6.8 secs.
0-200 km/h: 10.4 secs.
Vmax: 316 km/h
Hockenheim short track: 1:10.3

Comparison with Ruf 550 kit
Plotted out the engine dyno comparison of the Ruf 550 (10650 EUR) vs the CG 544 (8495 EUR) kits:

If you add up all the PS and Nm across the whole RPM range you get:
  • Ruf 550: 4200 PS and 7270 Nm
  • CG 544: 4291 PS and 7370 Nm

So I guess the CG kit would be faster.

First Impressions
  • Exhaust sound is great!! (not PSE hacked-open on a Carrera great, but still a vast improvement) Wouldn't want it any louder (I got the middle loudness version) and to me at least it sounds a lot like the Tubi from in the cockpit.
  • Turbo lag is almost gone; the car now feels like it has a NA engine given how responsive it is
  • Turbo kicks in a lot smoother as a result of the kit - you are soon doing frightening speeds in the blink of an eye. It even sounds smoother. When I put my foot down at low revs in the original car you would have a pause then it would feel like the engine was balling up all the power to then unleash. Now when I hit the throttle you just get an instant smooth surge of power. I much prefer this.
  • I have only pushed my right foot to the floor 3 times thus far and only very briefly - and the results are startling! The upper revs of the gears just sounds SO 'angry' and it accelerates like the cars life depends on getting away. It honestly feels like I now have unlimited power at my disposal. The concept of needing sport mode with over-boost is now frankly ridiculous.

I also got a revised Parr geometry setup which I think makes the steering feel more precise and responsive and certainly handles the power a lot better. So big thumbs up there.

Further impressions
I had a weekend away last weekend, 300 miles round-trip. I still just can't get over how smooth the Turbos and acceleration are now!!

There is also hardly any lag – other than when cruising in 6th at 2000 rpm and you then floor the throttle. Then there is still a few seconds wait. Other than that much more like a normally aspirated engine. Great when accelerating gently through a corner. No more turbo on/off switch.

The car just feels ‘tuned’. Not like it’s had all that power forced upon it, it just feels more free!!

The exhaust sound is great too. Not brilliant 2500-3000rpm on the motorway as there is a bit of a drone. Nothing too intrusive, but if you hit 3000 and onwards you just get cruising silence. Sure, if you want to hear the good noises then they are readily available with some right foot action!

Fuel economy is about the same – I averaged 27mpg averaging 60mph on my 300 mile round trip.

So overall I LOVE the powerkit. Frankly I think the engine is healthier now than it was before so I am definitely less stressed about the warranty issue. Plus RS-Tuning (via Cargraphic) is probably THE best tuner for Porsches along with Ruf (although Ruf doesn’t actually race Porsches) so they really know what they are doing. Also the ECU is tuned for the exhaust + filter combination, so I know I have a tried and tested formula. Yes, certainly worth the extra money compared to the other packages out there (albeit a bad Euro exchange rate right now pushing up the price).

As for the Parr ‘fast-road’ geometry alignment; definitely sharper more responsive steering. Definitely more stability and grip putting down all that power. The car somehow feels lighter!

I am desperate to get myself a ‘Performance Box’ and do some videos and sound-bites. What with snow forecast for this weekend, it may be a little while though.

Press
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080208....sche-911-turbo
http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/dat.../00/GT0208.pdf
http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/dat...Auto0308_1.pdf
http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/dat...0/911_0308.pdf

Pic

Last edited by Alex (UK); 11-04-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of extra points:

1) The power charts are with Sports Chrono OFF - ie. no overboost. When ON I have been told by Cargraphic that the kit would generate 840-860Nm torque.

2) Going to keep an eye on my stock clutch given all that torque I have now. No slipping yet (and none reported on the other 3 kits Parr have fitted with non-upgraded-clutches). If required I will upgrade to Sachs Performance kit 2.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

alex...with respect to cargraphics, i purchased their exhaust and the quality and sound is great. like you mentioned there is a little drone on the lower rpms's but not annoying at all. btw what wheels are those shown on the pics they are handsome and make a good looking car even better.

enjoy in good health.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Off topic, but I love those HRE P40s, are they 19 or 20?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 AM
MOD500
Racer

Nice one Alex Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the kit.

Regards acceleration testing, do you fancy coming to v-max? Keep an eye out in the v-max forum on Pistonheads, the next date will probably be a w/e in June I should think, you are welcome to use my Performance Box there. For ref a totally stock 997tt did 190 mph through the laser at the last event a month ago, so you should be right up there with your car!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Great post Alex - car looks awesome in the pics, my top colour I think and the wheels are beautiful

Admitting to 27mpg is kind of against the spirit of a tuned Porsche turbo but it just shows with fine ECU tuning and freeer flowing engine how much more efficient the whole package can become.

Apparently there is an article in next weeks Sport Auto mag which details the 0-300kph for your package - should be interesting. I reckon on 30s

BTW the SC over boost at 830+NM I still don't believe despite what CG tell you. Reason is that RS limit the torque on their kits up to the 598hp then allow full torque on kit 4 upwards and with kit 4 upwards Carrillo rods are specified. In other words if you got your 840NM on overboost you are through the "rod" threshold.....(not to mention your stock clutch )
I'm also on the fence about the Plenums but more on that as engine dyno info becomes available.....

If you find yourself near Manchester and fancy some GPS data aquisition give me a nod......
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by ajag
Off topic, but I love those HRE P40s, are they 19 or 20?
19's - HRE P40 in silver powder

I wanted to keep stock ride quality and steering weight as best I could.

Plus 19s are lighter than 20s so save a lot on unsprung weight too, so really benefit in the cars handling.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Great post Alex - car looks awesome in the pics, my top colour I think and the wheels are beautiful

Admitting to 27mpg is kind of against the spirit of a tuned Porsche turbo but it just shows with fine ECU tuning and freeer flowing engine how much more efficient the whole package can become.

Apparently there is an article in next weeks Sport Auto mag which details the 0-300kph for your package - should be interesting. I reckon on 30s

BTW the SC over boost at 830+NM I still don't believe despite what CG tell you. Reason is that RS limit the torque on their kits up to the 598hp then allow full torque on kit 4 upwards and with kit 4 upwards Carrillo rods are specified. In other words if you got your 840NM on overboost you are through the "rod" threshold.....(not to mention your stock clutch )
I'm also on the fence about the Plenums but more on that as engine dyno info becomes available.....

If you find yourself near Manchester and fancy some GPS data acquisition give me a nod......
Hey Toby - thanks for the kind (and ever-wise) words. Appreciate it
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

OYE MANNY ..... you are next papa !!!

Theo
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
The exhaust sound is great too. Not brilliant 2500-3000rpm on the motorway as there is a bit of a drone. Nothing too intrusive, but if you hit 3000 and onwards you just get cruising silence.
Alex; I had the same exhaust system on my car and the drone went away completely in 2,000 miles. Then it just sounds great all the way through, your patience will be rewarded.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations, CG makes quality products and their exhaust offering sounds better than I expected.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Stummel
Pro

LAT, any infos on your new(?) 993TT RS-Tuning?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Turbo boost observations

Went out for a spin this evening (the car is SO much fun now!). Anyway, on the way back decided to test out the 'boost' values on the motorway.

So in 6th gear and normal mode, the boost goes straight to 1.0 bar when you put your foot down from about 2000rpm.

Same thing in Sport mode results in 1.2 bar every time (with over-boost arrow).

If you remember some of my threads before, I was only seeing 0.8 and 1.0 bar boost in Sport Off and On respectively (with brief glimpses of 0.9 and 1.1). Now the Turbos are so much smoother and get to 1.0 and 1.2 almost immediately after you call on them.

The acceleration I get now at 0.4 bar in Normal mode is about the same acceleration I got pre-powerkit in Sport Mode with full over-boost 1.1-1.2 bar. That's some quality tuning for you

This thing is a monster, and just with an air-filter, a free-flow exhaust and some serious know-how ECU tuning. Amazing
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stummel, not yet waiting for Global Warming...lol
Still snow and salt on the roads, in a couple of weeks I will report back.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Video:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...94440127631019

You need to turn your volume RIGHT UP in order to get a 1/10th of the roar!!!

Quick Reply: My Cargraphic powerkit conversion