PCCB and Inflatable Spare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 241 Posts
Default PCCB and Inflatable Spare?

Hi All,
Does anyone know for a fact if the typical Porsche collapsible spare that fits over my 4S brakes (and hence regular turbo calipers) will fit over the PCCB calipers?
The part number of my tire is shown below:

Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

is someone thinking of an "upgrade" instead of getting a second car?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StickShift964
is someone thinking of an "upgrade" instead of getting a second car?
Nicely done!
Not immediately but I'm thinking about ordering a TT this Summer/Fall and was wondering if my front boot ballast would fit over PCCBs !!!!! Just wondering...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Nicely done!
Not immediately but I'm thinking about ordering a TT this Summer/Fall and was wondering if my front boot ballast would fit over PCCBs !!!!! Just wondering...
Oh Coochas - I think you SHOULD order a TT - you deserve one!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Oh Coochas - I think you SHOULD order a TT - you deserve one!
Thanks Greta...I'm waiting for a 'celebration' moment that will hopefully be in my near future !!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 PM
cannga
Instructor

Do not know for a fact, but about 95% sure that the answer is no. I have talked to dealer and asked this question to those who have red brake and spare (gradyex and MMD, both post in this forum), the answer is: most likely no for 997 with PCCB brake. Unfortunately, neither gradyex nor MMD has PCCB, so that's why I am only about 95% sure. I've never talked to anyone who actually/physically tries to put that 996 spare on a 997 with PCCB brake and *THEN* tells me, "no it doesn't fit."

Since my Turbo has PCCB, my solution is buying a Porsche jack and a tire puncture repair kit.

Hope this helps and MUCHO congrats on the future purchase. I too upgraded from a non turbo 997. The acceleration is *mind bending* and I think you are going to love it.

Hi All,
Does anyone know for a fact if the typical Porsche collapsible spare that fits over my 4S brakes (and hence regular turbo calipers) will fit over the PCCB calipers?
The part number of my tire is shown below:
Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannga
Do not know for a fact, but about 95% sure that the answer is no. I have talked to dealer and asked this question to those who have red brake and spare (gradyex and MMD, both post in this forum), the answer is: most likely no for 997 with PCCB brake. Unfortunately, neither gradyex nor MMD has PCCB, so that's why I am only about 95% sure. I've never talked to anyone who actually/physically tries to put that 996 spare on a 997 with PCCB brake and *THEN* tells me, "no it doesn't fit."

Since my Turbo has PCCB, my solution is buying a Porsche jack and a tire puncture repair kit.

Hope this helps and MUCHO congrats on the future purchase. I too upgraded from a non turbo 997. The acceleration is *mind bending* and I think you are going to love it.
Thanks for the reply cannga.
I do carry the inflatable spare in my C4S but it has the big reds....I'll have to make friends with someone locally who has PCCB and try to fit the spare on!
Glad you're enjoying your turbo!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
cannga
Instructor

You're welcome. Actually I just now remember another issue as well. The center differential in the Turbo risks getting damaged if the ratio of front tire's diameter to rear tire's diameter does not fall within a few percentage points of the stock ratio. This was reported by a 997 Turbo owner who switched to some 20 inch rim/tire and subsequently damaged the diff. Even if the spare does fit, I think it is not a good idea to use it in the Turbo. Someone please corrects me if I am wrong.

The Porsche jack I mentioned is made of aluminum and is wonderfully small and light. I highly recommend it. You could buy it from a dealer (about 150?); I got mine from ebay for 35 or so.

I do carry the inflatable spare in my C4S but it has the big reds....I'll have to make friends with someone locally who has PCCB and try to fit the spare on!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannga
You're welcome. Actually I just now remember another issue as well. The center differential in the Turbo risks getting damaged if the ratio of front tire's diameter to rear tire's diameter does not fall within a few percentage points of the stock ratio. This was reported by a 997 Turbo owner who switched to some 20 inch rim/tire and subsequently damaged the diff. Even if the spare does fit, I think it is not a good idea to use it in the Turbo. Someone please corrects me if I am wrong.

The Porsche jack I mentioned is made of aluminum and is wonderfully small and light. I highly recommend it. You could buy it from a dealer (about 150?); I got mine from ebay for 35 or so.
Check out this post - I've got the tire, jack, and even the foam insert!!
There was a question about the differential on the 4S as well wrt using the inflatable spare but most people seemed to believe that with limited use and speeds under 50 mph that it wouldn't matter.
On my C4S, I use a winter tire package that has a slightly smaller rolling diameter than the stock 19" set up and have had zero issues in two seasons.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

im only two hours away
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StickShift964
im only two hours away
There may be a road trip in my future!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
cannga
Instructor

Yep, that's the jack. So nicely made.

Re. wheel size and differential, I am no expert but my take on following the "damaged differential" thread is that you *could* change rims/tires, as long as you keep the ratio of front to rear OVERALL diameters (rim plus tire) within a certain range. In other words, when you reduce BOTH front and rear diameters by a similar amount you are ok.

The one or two owners who reported damaged diff. on 6speedonline, if I recall correctly, switched to a wider tires with *different* aspect ratios such that even though the rim sizes remain in proportion, the overall diameter (rim plus tire) of the rear changed relatively MORE than that of the front. There was real damage reported. I hope I am making some sense here! (Grin) Changing one single spare would fit more into this category I would think.

But you might be right, in case of the spare, maybe short distance and low speed will provide the protection. If I am in the middle of nowhere though, which is the one time where the spare is really needed, I might not have control over the distance to be driven.

Another interesting and important parameter to keep in mind is that while the 997 C4S has the same center diff. as the 996 generation, the 997 TT is all new and a completely different unit.

Hope this helps. Please do let me know if you find out anything different from what I wrote above on this topic. I've not given up yet, although when I spoke to the dealer a couple months ago, it was confirmed there is still no "official" spare made for the 997 generation.

Regards,
Can

Check out this post - I've got the tire, jack, and even the foam insert!!
There was a question about the differential on the 4S as well wrt using the inflatable spare but most people seemed to believe that with limited use and speeds under 50 mph that it wouldn't matter.
On my C4S, I use a winter tire package that has a slightly smaller rolling diameter than the stock 19" set up and have had zero issues in two seasons.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It def will NOT fit, I know for a fact....
A friend with a gt3 w/ pccbs had a tire damage problem at the track, a guy with an inflattable spare from a 05 996tt loaned him one, it wouldn't fit at all. Will not clear the pccbs.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It def will NOT fit, I know for a fact....
A friend with a gt3 w/ pccbs had a tire damage problem at the track, a guy with an inflattable spare from a 05 996tt loaned him one, it wouldn't fit at all. Will not clear the pccbs.
Thanks Chris!
I figured somewhereorother someone did the experiment. I know it's pathetic, but when the day comes, I think I might stick with the steel brakes so I can keep my spare. Yeah,...I'm pathetic,....flame on!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

as long as you dont get a speeeeeeed yellow turbo the PCCBs are not required

Quick Reply: PCCB and Inflatable Spare?