Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR mag test. 997tt loses

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 11:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

I drive 16K miles/year, so my 4 year/50K warranty is up in 3 years. Then I keep my car for another 7 years, total 10. When the warranty is up, I would rather be driving the TT for the next 7 years.

Sure, I'd love another 100 HP, but I am happy that Porsche does not push performance at the expense of reliability.

However, they ought to get with keyless go, Sat radio and BT.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:21 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Whenever a new car hits the press, they go nuts for it. The warts surface six months later. Let's wait and see.
Old 03-10-2008 | 03:25 PM
tifosi66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hesperus
There's still something about the 993TT, and no doubt about that.

Here's the thing that bugs me though...

at the time that the 993TT was introduced (and then again at the 996TT's debut), there was nothing anywhere near the TT's price-range that could touch it for performance. The 993TT redefined what an all-season supercar meant, and it quite simply moved the goalposts for all performance cars.

YES there is no substitute for the feel, history and quality of a Porsche... but WTF... there's something not right here...
Well, maybe in the States but where I come from and most parts of Asia,the 930 faced off with the Leopard/Skyline series since 1975!! and the modern street battle actually started in '92 when the 964T faced the Skyline GTR-R32. 993tt against GTR-R33 and the 996TT Vs GTR-R34. Chronologically, I have owned a 964C4, then the GTR33...back to a 993tt before a short 'fling' with last of the series GTR34, the V-Spec 'Nurburgring' . Thereon 'insanity' took over and had a sordid affair with a 355 Berlinetta and only in '06 did I 'sober' back to a '00 996TT....

Pcars/Fcars/Lcars are very expensive where I come from and due to this fact Porsches are spoken in the same breath as a Ferrari or Lamborghini, meaning a Pcar is no less exotic than the Fs and Ls... Most folks regard the Pcar as having the same price as any Fcar or Lcar anyways.. Therefore most don't dream of owning Pcars since it's quite like 'unobtanium' and since the GTR has a solid reputation of winning illegal races all over MY..it became the icon of affordable and realistic supercar for the masses. Most Skyline-phile calls the GTR 'Godzilla', named after the Japanese T-Rex kinda 'good' monster.

The GTR has a great lineage and if anyone care to look and research, it's not just any Nissan. To cut a long story short, Skylines started of as 'Prince Motorcars' and they were subsequently bought by Datsun. They've always maintained their particular performance edge not by way of body-shape but rather stonking motors. You guys might have the Datsun 510 4 potter, imagine the same bodystyle with slight facelifts and a DOHC416V with 2XBBL webers 2.0L donk pushing out 160bhp...in 1970!!! The thing is Japan keeps the best for themselves and up till quite recently, these cars are termed JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) only. In Malaysia, being a RHD country and import tariffs favouring Japanese/Asian cars, we are allowed to bring in the JDM units via Private Importers.

Whatever it is, a Porsche is still a Porsche. Like oft repeated above me, there ain't no substitute... It's more than just performance figures that makes a great performance car and to this we might have to borrow a phrase from one of the very rare Fcar advertisement I've ever seen at the back of a magazine.. " It's not about how fast you go... It's about how you go fast.."
Old 03-10-2008 | 06:14 PM
1Carnut
Pro

I am a member of alot of chat forums (from Ferriachat to the M6 board), and yes the GTR is getting alot mention on those boards as well. What I am having a hard time digesting is how this car can be this big this heavy, and still be as fast as they say. As far as looks goes, well I'm no fan, but to each his own on that.
Old 03-10-2008 | 06:44 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I own a Z06 and it is probably faster than my F430 and my soon ariving tt. who cares. Line up a turbo, a F430, SL55 and the GTR and let 100 people pick the one they want. I'll bet the GTR sits there a long time.
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by carcommander
I own a Z06 and it is probably faster than my F430 and my soon ariving tt. who cares. Line up a turbo, a F430, SL55 and the GTR and let 100 people pick the one they want. I'll bet the GTR sits there a long time.
Your Z is faster (unless it is broken somehow).

Owned the TT, Z and 430 almost simultaneously.

Who gives a rat's behind about what 100 other people (the one's who didn't pay for it) think???
Old 03-11-2008 | 05:02 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I wonder how many "I wouldn't buy that" folks would say the same if they weren't already Porsche owners. My 996tt is primarily my winter car, but if the Nissan GTR were available, and I could get snow tires for it, I could easily see that as a 4 seasons car. Maybe then, I would have gone for a GT2 as my "other" car.
Personally, I am really glad that someone is demonstrating to Porsche that it is time to turn loose some new technology. Mitsu and Nissan are demonstrating what can be done for far less money. What are we getting for twice the cash?

The Nissan may not be superior in every way, but it certainly is in some very important ways. Styling is a personal preference. I am not sure the Porsche represents better quality. I am sure it doesn't represent best value. There are certainly concerns about warranty and track use with Porsche.
Maybe the real question when GTR prices settle down will be, "Would you rather have a brand new GTR or a used 997tt?" AS
I can tell you that Porsche should be worried about me as a buyer. I've been very patiently waiting to buy my P-car but what the hell? You know, I know what I want from my cars and Porsche offers "it" and, even as recently as last year, I didn't mind paying the price. But WTF? With the R8, now the GTR... Am I supposed to be proud paying for second place? Look, there is only ONE GT3 RSR entry in ALMS GT2 this year. WTF? There are friggin' 3 430s! Seriously, don't get me wrong, I'm not driving a Nissan even if it flies in space, BUT, you know the time is here to buy and the R8 screams "BUY ME" while the 997... well, I'm just frustrated with Porsche.
Old 03-11-2008 | 06:51 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I can tell you that Porsche should be worried about me as a buyer. I've been very patiently waiting to buy my P-car but what the hell? You know, I know what I want from my cars and Porsche offers "it" and, even as recently as last year, I didn't mind paying the price. But WTF? With the R8, now the GTR... Am I supposed to be proud paying for second place? Look, there is only ONE GT3 RSR entry in ALMS GT2 this year. WTF? There are friggin' 3 430s! Seriously, don't get me wrong, I'm not driving a Nissan even if it flies in space, BUT, you know the time is here to buy and the R8 screams "BUY ME" while the 997... well, I'm just frustrated with Porsche.
Well said. I have been patiently waiting for Porsche to release PDK/DSG and I can tell you the GTR is very tempting as an alternative. Having a competitve nature means I hate paying a huge premium for something that underperforms. Talking about heritage and brand name is ok, but I want that AND blow-out performance. Otherwise why not get just a base 911?
Old 03-11-2008 | 06:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

The already incredible performance envelope for the 997tt is still there. The Gt1 based motor is bulletproof and there aren't going to be 997tt's on the side of the road with thrown rods and busted diffs, sheared axles, or spontaneously smoldering in flames. The GTR is the one that has to prove itself. ~3900lbs is extremely tough on brakes, suspension, driveline. It will takes months before we know how the complex Gtr driveline holds up
Old 03-15-2008 | 07:57 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I

I say buy whatever makes you happy and you can afford. Its great we have lots of choices.
+1 Get what you want who cares what others think.

Some of the "Elitist" attitudes here are just sad..
Old 03-15-2008 | 08:47 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
The Gt1 based motor is bulletproof and there aren't going to be 997tt's on the side of the road with thrown rods and busted diffs, sheared axles, or spontaneously smoldering in flames.
...true, until Porsche decide to replace the the Turbo's professional grade engine with a consumer grade one to make more money out of each car (possibly with the facelift 997)...
Old 03-15-2008 | 09:58 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is also interesting to note that the initial R8 reports showed the R8 outhandling the 997TT on track testing. Now that the GTR is out current testing shows the GTR is fastest but the 997TT is faster than the R8.
Old 03-15-2008 | 09:48 PM
TedC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Coochas
The new GT-R is a true technological wonder - I do give Nissan snaps for creating it.
As for all of the hype,....it was not so many years ago that the Z06 came out and we had the exact same car mag perspectives and thread titles (except substituting Z06 for GT-R). Remember? There were tons of articles showing better acceleration and lap times etc etc etc etc.
Here it is a few years later and it is clear to the Porsche enthusiast community which car they would drive.
I predict the same thing will happen with the GT-R. In about a year the hype will be calming down and GT-R buyers will be happy and Porsche buyers will be happy.

I have to admit, I've been caught up in the hype as well and even spoke with a local Nissan dealer about a new GT-R (with about 10K premium !!) because I thought it might be a nice second car especially since I drive my 4S year round. After grappling with it for a while, I realized that my dream car has always been a 911 turbo,....and that's what I plan on getting next,.....PERIOD. The Nissan is cool no doubt,.....but it's a different animal.
I am having the same dilemma except:

I've owned a 996 tt x50 with ceramic before.
Was dreaming about a 997tt but still out of my price range.
Was getting a 2005 turbo S for 88k to 95k range, but now have an opportunity to order a gtr for july delivery for 6k over. some local nissan dealers want 50k over!!! and sold 1 of their 2 cars for the year.

I am leaning towards the gtr now unless the 997 turbo suddenly becomes 95k within the next few days.
Old 03-15-2008 | 09:52 PM
TedC
Intermediate

i just realized that it is a budget problem as i'd take a 997tt over the gtr anyday if money is no object, but it is. 79k for new 2009 gtr built the way i want it or buy a 2005 turbo S for 90k with 15k miles and 2 yrs left on the warranty. I am trying to justify the turboS that i have been really wanting while i wait for 997tt to be within my budget but it is harder and harder to justify going with the turbo S now.
Old 03-16-2008 | 12:03 AM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by hesperus
There's still something about the 993TT, and no doubt about that.

Here's the thing that bugs me though...

at the time that the 993TT was introduced (and then again at the 996TT's debut), there was nothing anywhere near the TT's price-range that could touch it for performance. The 993TT redefined what an all-season supercar meant, and it quite simply moved the goalposts for all performance cars.

And this was at a period in Porsche's history where they were nowhere near as profitable as they are today.

Fast forward from the 993TT's launch to the present, and Porsche is the single most profitable automobile manufacturer on the planet (Weideking got what, over $100mil in salary, bonus and options for '07 right?).

And yet a car that is a direct decendant of the 993TT struggles against Nissans, Audis and Corvettes, all of which are in the same price range, if not less expensive!

YES there is no substitute for the feel, history and quality of a Porsche... but WTF... there's something not right here...
Well said. I hope Porsche takes notice! I love my 997TT, but I feel like I've been cheated somehow. The 993TT was the undisputed KING of the hill.

Quick Reply: CAR mag test. 997tt loses