Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Notice in that article that Alycon quoted
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=426450
that Mobile 1 15-50 is the highest cP value amongst the "quality" synthetics .

I live in the desert north of LA and I meet some of the best racers in the world. Not ones you would normally think about but Desert Dirt bike racers, Desert buggy races Derset truck racers. I dont know if they are the most harshly treated motors in racing but they got be up there. I would say that over 50% of those guys run mobil 15-50. Heck we even have guys that race lawn mowers. Anyway I am comfortable with running that in a car with a motor worth $45k.
When I was racing MX on the MX forums those guys would race a weeked full of motos and then send their oil off for analysis and time after time the Mobil 1 15-50 red cap would come back better. MX guys dont have a whole lot to talk about because the bikes are pretty simple. Shocks wheels and motor. Really there is not much too them so we talked alot about oil. Unless a guy was sponsored by Royal or Amsoil they would run Mobil 15-50. When I raced we were in the transitional time between 2 strokes and 4 strokes. The new 4 stroke motors were cutting edge and the failures were more common than 2 strokes
(a 2 stroke is a simpler motor). The racers were always looking for an edge and reliability once Yamaha came out with the infamous YZ250F. Oil was were they looked. Plus some manufacturers had their trannies running in the same oil as the motor. Honda was the first (I think) to run two seperate tanks for tranny and motor. Yamaha was one tank so if you were running a YZ you needed to make sure there was the right oil with out too many friction modifiers so that your clutch wouldnt slip. We spent ALL kinds of time talking about oil. I almost think its not too coincidental that Porsche suggests Mobil.

Quick Reply: Oil rumor