Sponsored by:

Tire Blow Out-A Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APEXHNTR
The extra rim/tire I am selling was bought for my 996 C4S for a spare to take on longer trips in NC from the mountains to the beach(approx 300 miles). It is the same diameter as the 997 turbo. Nice and clean new rim with a Pilot Sport 2 tire(used tire).

Just email for photos:

Cc: nomail32@charter.net

Bob

PS Run Flat tires do have many drawbacks. The main ones are the (1)High cost(2)Poor performance(3)Lack of availability-3-4 days with out your car if the tire is damaged.
bob-l hear you, and believe me, i don't know the answer to this question, that is why i ask it, but i have a new vette, and all vettes have run flats. those suckers handle pretty well. bmw m5's have run flats-if it is good enough for those two cars, why would it not be ok for 95% of us who drive 997tt's on the road. at least, if we had a blow out, we would get home, or to a dealership. isn't that much preferrable to being stranded, and having to wait hours for porsche service?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
was coming home from work last night-i have winter tires on my 997tt (pirelli 240 wintersports). my left front tire hit a relatively small pot hole and my left front tire blew out like it was a balloon. without a spare, and with a large tear in the tire, you are screwed. i had to call 1-800-porsche for road service, and 4 hours later, they came to get my car (2 AM). i had just checked the tire pressure the day before, and it was perfect. i love this car, but the possibility of being stranded sucks. maybe in the northeast, where the roads suck in the winter, we all should be running 18 inch tires that are not as low profile, at least for the winter. my $45,000 vette would have gotten me home, as it has run flats-why no run flats on the porsche? great car, but when you have a blow out (not a small hole that you can patch yourself), you are screwed. it is a bad commentary that the vette will always get you home, but the porsche will strand you, and force you to use porsche road service, which is anything but fast. the one good thing-i had bought the wheel/ tire insurance when i purchased the car, which has just paid for itself, and will probably get called on again in the future. does anyone know-is the any kind of spare that we can buy?
can we put run flats on the car? any suggestions to better our lot and make the driving experience a bit more reliable?
The is a space saving spare available. As I remember it was $700. Not sure, but I think it would fit into the tt-trunk. Just call Hennessey porsche parts in atlanta...that is where I found one. I decided against it for a couple reasons and used the money to buy the tire-insurance. Reasons: I would need also to get a jack&lug wrench, second I would not be able to change it, not on some highway in the middle of nowhere (often those lug nuts are very tight and wheels extremely bulky), so I would still have to wait for a tow truck. I tried this spare tire crap with my M3s...All I was doing was hauling the damn tire around which was taking up a lot of trunk space. These P2s are strong tires and flats are not frequent. I stay away from construction sites. I do, however, carry a plug kit from Griots just in case, but I think the gung that porsche furnishes most likely would work as well. I also tried carrying an extra tire in the M3, that was a looser too. Fronts are different than rears so I carried the front because it was smaller and now that wasn't healthy for the differential if you had to use it on the rear.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know what the solution is. My wifes BMW Z4M is that same way. I guess more and more of these type cars are going to be this way.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbojohn
The is a space saving spare available. As I remember it was $700. Not sure, but I think it would fit into the tt-trunk. Just call Hennessey porsche parts in atlanta...that is where I found one. I decided against it for a couple reasons and used the money to buy the tire-insurance. Reasons: I would need also to get a jack&lug wrench, second I would not be able to change it, not on some highway in the middle of nowhere (often those lug nuts are very tight and wheels extremely bulky), so I would still have to wait for a tow truck. I tried this spare tire crap with my M3s...All I was doing was hauling the damn tire around which was taking up a lot of trunk space. These P2s are strong tires and flats are not frequent. I stay away from construction sites. I do, however, carry a plug kit from Griots just in case, but I think the gung that porsche furnishes most likely would work as well. I also tried carrying an extra tire in the M3, that was a looser too. Fronts are different than rears so I carried the front because it was smaller and now that wasn't healthy for the differential if you had to use it on the rear.

thanx for the suggestion on the spacesaver
Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Off warranty now... got AAA plus just in case (off warranty). My cell phone also comes with car coverage for a price (ATT)....fyi....

I suspect AAA/PCNA/ATT have the same 3rd party contracts deep down..... It is worth carrying a nice-to-wheel lug.....and make sure you have your wheel lock on board......

JB
Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Not sure if run flats are the answer

I have been a BMW CCA member for 20 plus years. The "Roundel" which is the monthly publication has been quite negative with regard to run flat tires on the ///M5, Z4 ect. This is not from only the writers but from the members in the "Letters" section (based on real life experiences with Road side assistance needed because they have no spare and a problem with the run flat tire).

Not a positive run flat comment period...in summary most BMW CCA members want a full size spare.

We have the X5 (2005 model) which has a full size spare. The new X5 does not.

The New BMW X5 with run flat tires is a big problem for us for two main reasons:

1)Since we live in the mountains of NC....calling for help is a non-option in the remote areas which lack cell coverage..... The same places you would take a 4 X4 to go fly fishing, hiking, hunting, camping ect.

2)If while hauling a boat trailer (or any other trailer) on the interstate a flat occurs, Roadside assistance is not equipped to tow the car and trailer. Also run flat tires on an SUV is a problem with tongue weight in addition to the vehicle weight while towing. We carry a spare trailer tire-which can be changed in 10 minutes. On a 300 mile trip at night a 10 minute delay is no big deal. Now imagine waiting for assistance (at night) and having to leave the trailer behind.

UNACCEPTABLE

Maybe I'm just a control freak but being at the mercy others when a flat occurs seems far less desirable than just simply changing the damaged wheel or tire. In an ideal world ALL cars should have full size spares. Roadside assistance should be considered "plan B"

My .02 cents
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Vincy
Advanced

Default ITwo tires and a wheel lost

On morning I drove up one of those ridges they leave when on lane is paved and the other isn't paved yet. I instantly blew out two tires and bent one wheel beyond repair. The sides of the tires were cut completely through. I hade wheel and tire insurance but the company jerked me around so much I gave up, and I learned they would pay a maximum of $500 per incident and had to pro rate the tire.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I carry a tire plugging kit but it's worthless for a serious cut and blowout. Then it's back to the cell phone (if in range!) I am seriously considering stockpiling another set of rims and tires in the garage at home. I used to have a set of street rims and tires and a set for racing on another 911 turbo that I had. Maybe it's that time again. So far I have been lucky, plugging my holes to get me by, and then merely dropping the tire off to be replaced via a separate vehicle.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincy
On morning I drove up one of those ridges they leave when on lane is paved and the other isn't paved yet. I instantly blew out two tires and bent one wheel beyond repair. The sides of the tires were cut completely through. I hade wheel and tire insurance but the company jerked me around so much I gave up, and I learned they would pay a maximum of $500 per incident and had to pro rate the tire.
If you don't mind - what company do you have?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I carry a tire plugging kit but it's worthless for a serious cut and blowout. Then it's back to the cell phone (if in range!) I am seriously considering stockpiling another set of rims and tires in the garage at home. I used to have a set of street rims and tires and a set for racing on another 911 turbo that I had. Maybe it's that time again. So far I have been lucky, plugging my holes to get me by, and then merely dropping the tire off to be replaced via a separate vehicle.
I still have my stock wheels in my garage. I'm seriously thinking of buying a set of tires and mounting them. If i'm not too far away I could have someone bring it to me.

I'm wondering since the car is already so low would I be able to get a jack under the car to lift it with a tire that is flat?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 557 Posts

Leaving soon for a 2500 mile trip in some remote areas of AZ, NM and UT. Bought a

as first line of defense.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by docjackson1
was coming home from work last night-i have winter tires on my 997tt (pirelli 240 wintersports). my left front tire hit a relatively small pot hole and my left front tire blew out like it was a balloon. without a spare, and with a large tear in the tire, you are screwed. i had to call 1-800-porsche for road service, and 4 hours later, they came to get my car (2 AM). i had just checked the tire pressure the day before, and it was perfect. i love this car, but the possibility of being stranded sucks. maybe in the northeast, where the roads suck in the winter, we all should be running 18 inch tires that are not as low profile, at least for the winter. my $45,000 vette would have gotten me home, as it has run flats-why no run flats on the porsche? great car, but when you have a blow out (not a small hole that you can patch yourself), you are screwed. it is a bad commentary that the vette will always get you home, but the porsche will strand you, and force you to use porsche road service, which is anything but fast. the one good thing-i had bought the wheel/ tire insurance when i purchased the car, which has just paid for itself, and will probably get called on again in the future. does anyone know-is the any kind of spare that we can buy?
can we put run flats on the car? any suggestions to better our lot and make the driving experience a bit more reliable?
Whoops already posted, but this business of getting a supplement road service to at least get your tt quicker to some place pleasant may be a good idea, Call Hennessey Parts (Ken Young) in Atlanta. They have a space saving spare for $700. It may fit in the trunk too. Can't remember what they said about that. I got the tire-insurance instead of the spare. It is the 4-hr wait time that I don't like. I guess you could carry a additional road service....they're fairly cheap each year....and at least get towed to some place more pleasing to wait. Can't believe Porsche service is not quicker than that. Also with the spare, you need a jack etc. Would be tough to change the tire on the road, would still need someone for that...those rear tires especially are not simple to be changing around. So, I guess I may be thinking of another supplement road service to at least get the car off the road. Wouldn't like that waiting especially if the wife was with me on a deserted highway somewhere.:banghead: Anyone else have that complaint of too long a wait for road service?????

Last edited by turbojohn; 04-19-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

I carry the Porsche inflatable spare in my 997 C4S which has the same brakes as the TT. In nearly 10,000 miles I have not had to use it, but living in Boston I feel it's a necessity.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...mergency+wheel
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coochas
I carry the Porsche inflatable spare in my 997 C4S which has the same brakes as the TT. In nearly 10,000 miles I have not had to use it, but living in Boston I feel it's a necessity.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...mergency+wheel
Did you ever figure a way to put it in the trunk? I understand with the CD changer, the spare tire may not fit in a tt. Still think the best defense is to find a quicker road side service provider to at least get you + tt to a suitable waiting place where the slow-Porsche road service can take over.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by turbojohn
Did you ever figure a way to put it in the trunk? I understand with the CD changer, the spare tire may not fit in a tt. Still think the best defense is to find a quicker road side service provider to at least get you + tt to a suitable waiting place where the slow-Porsche road service can take over.
I'm not sure if the CD changer causes a problem (I do not have this option), but the spare does indeed fit in the trunk of my C4S at an angle (and hence in a TT).

While we're on the subject, I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche is working with a tire manufacturer to develop a run-flat tire specifically for the 911 (or perhaps the next 911 model). The new Nissan GT-R is a good example of a high performance car with a specially designed run-flat tire as OEM.

Quick Reply: Tire Blow Out-A Bad Experience