hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics: Official Porsche 997 Turbo Aerokit

Just got this in my email:

New Aerokit for the Porsche 911 Turbo Coupé

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has developed a special
Aerokit for the 911 Turbo Coupé. It includes a front spoiler lip and an
entirely new engine cover design with fixed aerofoil.

The characteristic front lip and the distinctive rear spoiler lend the
typical turbo silhouette an even more dynamic appearance. The Porsche
development center engineers in Weissach attached the greatest possible
importance to aerodynamic functionality. The most important objective among
the components refined in the wind tunnel was to improve the handling
characteristics, given an unchanged drag coefficient of 0.31 compared with
the production version.

This ensures that the Aerokit’s optimized streamlining blends ideally with
the 490 PS high performance Coupé’s harmonious overall design and enabled
further reductions of the lift coefficients on the front and rear axles.
This ensures an even more stable drive at high speed.

The aerodynamically coordinated front and rear components may only be
fitted together. Compared with the standard 900 Turbo, the door sill trim
and the rear skirt are painted in body color as well as the Aerokit’s
add-on parts.

The Aerokit costs 4,500 euros (excluding VAT) when ordered at the same time
as purchasing a new vehicle from Porsche Exclusive in Germany. If the parts
are retrofitted, they can be purchased from Porsche Tequipment at a cost of
4,100 euros (excluding painting and assembly as well as VAT). The Aerokit
is available with immediate effect worldwide.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the front lip but not feeling the wing. Maybe better in person.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks almost identical to the 996TT Aerokit, or am I not seeing something?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleh. I like the stock look better. But does the TT look good in white or what?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I can think of better ways to spend around $7000 (USD). Another money extractor being offered courtesy of our friends at Porsche.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Man that is an amazing looking car. I personally love that aerokit and the white sure looks sharp. That front lip sure looks a lot like the 996 aerokit (or is it GT2?).
Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

For another $13K I could have the Ruf $20K 550HP kit installed.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Hesperus thanks for posting....

I was just reading the predictable reactions which your post got on 6 bling - EVERBODY talking about how the kit looks, NOBODY wondering how the kit affects high speed handling.....

I find this troubling since looks are obviously the majority's concern whereas where is the appreciation of the time and $$ which Porsche have taken developing this kit, all the dynamic wind tunnel testing ? 195mph track testing ?

Porsche say the stock 997tt has zero lift at 193mph and the quote above says that this kit does not increase drag yet increases downforce, this is a fantastic achievement technically.......

A symptom of Porsches biggest export market having such rare opportunity for 100mph+ exploits I guess or just a bunch of poseurs
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Hesperus thanks for posting....

I was just reading the predictable reactions which your post got on 6 bling - EVERBODY talking about how the kit looks, NOBODY wondering how the kit affects high speed handling.....

I find this troubling since looks are obviously the majority's concern whereas where is the appreciation of the time and $$ which Porsche have taken developing this kit, all the dynamic wind tunnel testing ? 195mph track testing ?

Porsche say the stock 997tt has zero lift at 193mph and the quote above says that this kit does not increase drag yet increases downforce, this is a fantastic achievement technically.......

A symptom of Porsches biggest export market having such rare opportunity for 100mph+ exploits I guess or just a bunch of poseurs
Ok, whatever, I can't speak for everyone else, but I am a poseur I suppose. There is no need to be troubled over the poseur's opinions. The fact is that most of the guys and gals on the forum just paid north of $130-$155K (USD) for their cars. The car is very fast and handles rather well bone stock, right off the dealer's showroom floor. In light of those facts, of course the first thing all these "poseurs" are going to look at are the cosmetics of the kit rather than the technical so-called improvements made with wind tunnel tests and the like.

For me, I could care less about the high speed handling and the technical prowess of the kit because where I drive my car the speed limits are 65 MPH and I don't track the car. But that's just me.

And here's another fact, like it or not: many people buy Porsches because they look cool and they are simply great cars. When the factory designs some new gizmo for the exterior of the car, it's gotta look good to me first, otherwise I ain't buyin' it no matter how much faster it makes it go. I think its fast enough for what I do with the car without having to drop thousands of dollars on a new wing, lip, etc...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Ok, whatever, I can't speak for everyone else, but I am a poseur I suppose. There is no need to be troubled over the poseur's opinions. The fact is that most of the guys and gals on the forum just paid north of $130-$155K (USD) for their cars. The car is very fast and handles rather well bone stock, right off the dealer's showroom floor. In light of those facts, of course the first thing all these "poseurs" are going to look at are the cosmetics of the kit rather than the technical so-called improvements made with wind tunnel tests and the like.

For me, I could care less about the high speed handling and the technical prowess of the kit because where I drive my car the speed limits are 65 MPH and I don't track the car. But that's just me.

And here's another fact, like it or not: many people buy Porsches because they look cool and they are simply great cars. When the factory designs some new gizmo for the exterior of the car, it's gotta look good to me first, otherwise I ain't buyin' it no matter how much faster it makes it go. I think its fast enough for what I do with the car without having to drop thousands of dollars on a new wing, lip, etc...
I reckon 85% of owners could (or could'nt) care less about this aspect - I just hope Porsche keep spending the $$$ on making the aerodynamics work DESPITE their customers. I think one day Porsche will start watering down this aspect of their cars (they already have on the lesser models) and that would be a real shame.
The new 997GT2 has 9kg of downforce front and 29kg at the rear at 124mph -getting that sort of balance is a real feat and no other manufacturer comes close in this department.....

Quick Reply: Pics: Official Porsche 997 Turbo Aerokit