Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Europeon Delivery and Break in Period

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, for a US car to get onto the German registration system it's a major pain in the butt. One could join the military and get free Euro delivery and tax free sale
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I did Euro delivery last summer and they told me to keep it under 5 grand for 2000 miles (which I did). Since I spent nearly a month over there I easily broke it in on the autobahns and autostradas (and got to see 180 mph). Return to the west coast was lengthy. Returned the car on 3 July and got it 7 Sep.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I did Euro delivery last summer and they told me to keep it under 5 grand for 2000 miles (which I did). Since I spent nearly a month over there I easily broke it in on the autobahns and autostradas (and got to see 180 mph). Return to the west coast was lengthy. Returned the car on 3 July and got it 7 Sep.
Dan, I just got back from driving the autobahn too (on a Porsche tour w/their car) and went 170 mph in a 997 C4S - it was fabulous! Tried to get to 180 but some idiot pulled into the left lane in front of our Porche motocade. Oh well. When you say keep it under 5 grand, do you mean 5,000 RPM? How did you get to 180 w/o getting to 5,000 rpm (or is that possible in a Turbo). When I was going 170mph, I was in 6th at about 6500 rpm. Did you go by yourself? HOw did you carry a months worth of luggage in a Porsche?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by atomic80
I also went on a trip with the Porsche Travel Club last year too. That was a fun experience being able to drive the 997TT through those mountain twisties and down the Autobahn. I know for a fact that you're essentially on your own through the European Delivery program. I just hate the fact that Porsche makes you fork over a small fortune for the privilege of doing so. They really could have put together a better program for those paying customers.
Atomic80: Look forward to meeting you someday. I am going to have Jason meet me for a cup of coffee and he is going to help me with my option list. Perhaps you would like to join us. I am trying to be patient waiting for a build date. I put a deposit down at our local dealer (you know who) and am still waiting, which is not my strong suit. We did a 10-day trip (Porsche Fest) with Fast Lane Travel/Porsche Travel Club with their cars. Went to the factory, on the Weissach Race track, and then thru 14 alp passes and the autobahn (273kph). BEST TIME OF MY LIFE - even the track will never compare. Send me a pm with your email and we can keep in touch. I work for Starbucks Coffee Company and will treat you to your favorit beverage!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Dan, I just got back from driving the autobahn too (on a Porsche tour w/their car) and went 170 mph in a 997 C4S - it was fabulous! Tried to get to 180 but some idiot pulled into the left lane in front of our Porche motocade. Oh well. When you say keep it under 5 grand, do you mean 5,000 RPM? How did you get to 180 w/o getting to 5,000 rpm (or is that possible in a Turbo). When I was going 170mph, I was in 6th at about 6500 rpm. Did you go by yourself? HOw did you carry a months worth of luggage in a Porsche?
I was there for nearly a month, alone. By the time I got around to pushing it up a bit I was above the break in period. (I had been as far south as Salerno, Italy). I put 3200 miles on the car in about 3-4 weeks. Been driving and touring with Porsches since I was a teenager so I can pack lightly if necessary! (Although Louis at Porsche's Customer Care said to me, "Herr Lindsay, you do know that you ordered a Cabriolet?" as he helped me carry my many bags up to the car... :-)
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,277 Likes on 612 Posts

I've got a few words of advice- when you fly over, bring empty bags in your big bags, then you can stow the ballast luggage in various places about the car- trunk, passenger rear seat area, passenger footwell if alone, and behind your seat will sit a nice laptop bag, or gymbag. oh and get your laundry done, that really helps.

driving for two weeks alone I've amassed 4000km so far (2.400) and it's been smooth sailing and very easy...even considering tracking it too.

smashing time all around this euro deliv.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've got a few words of advice- when you fly over, bring empty bags in your big bags, then you can stow the ballast luggage in various places about the car- trunk, passenger rear seat area, passenger footwell if alone, and behind your seat will sit a nice laptop bag, or gymbag. oh and get your laundry done, that really helps.

driving for two weeks alone I've amassed 4000km so far (2.400) and it's been smooth sailing and very easy...even considering tracking it too.

smashing time all around this euro deliv.
Now to convince my husband that I need to go take ED (he is still trying to stomach the idea that I am buying a Turbo). Some wives bring home purses and I bring home Porsches!! I know I should do ED alone because I won't want to let anyone to drive my new car (I have a hard time turning over the wheel of my 04). He doesn't quite understand the love affair I have with my car. What is a woman to do!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Too bad he's not a car guy, you both could have alot of fun sharing your passion. My wifes is horses but we both connect in the middle and talk about both.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,277 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Now to convince my husband that I need to go take ED (he is still trying to stomach the idea that I am buying a Turbo). Some wives bring home purses and I bring home Porsches!! I know I should do ED alone because I won't want to let anyone to drive my new car (I have a hard time turning over the wheel of my 04). He doesn't quite understand the love affair I have with my car. What is a woman to do!

I think you mean DE- driver's education, right? ED is something people take pills for...but hey not your department generally. (jk- assuming you mean Euro Delivery) I think it's awesome that you're enthusiastic about driving a Turbo- 911s are really special cars that bring out emotions in all of us on rennlist.

the turbo awd system is really great and if you're just driving twisty roads and highways it's really confidence inspiring also, but there are plenty of teachers here in europe which you can do 1 on 1 training with- it's quite costly but if you really want to get on the track and learn to push the car a bit it's the best way.

Porsche can sometimes set you up through euro delivery, or you can do driving school in the summertime for a few days at various tracks around germany or italy.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think you mean DE- driver's education, right? ED is something people take pills for...but hey not your department generally. (jk- assuming you mean Euro Delivery) I think it's awesome that you're enthusiastic about driving a Turbo- 911s are really special cars that bring out emotions in all of us on rennlist.

the turbo awd system is really great and if you're just driving twisty roads and highways it's really confidence inspiring also, but there are plenty of teachers here in europe which you can do 1 on 1 training with- it's quite costly but if you really want to get on the track and learn to push the car a bit it's the best way.

Porsche can sometimes set you up through euro delivery, or you can do driving school in the summertime for a few days at various tracks around germany or italy.
You guys crack me up. Yes, ED=Europeon Delivery. Love doing DE though too! Fast Lane Travel's Porsche Fest next fall will include driving Porsche's (theirs) on the Nurburgring, Liepzig track, and 6 days of driving through Europe. That is what I really want to do again (he is adding the track driving next fall which was not inluded on our trip). Cost will be about 9500 Euros pp, all inclusive - car, insurance, food, hotel, gas, etc. Worth every cent!

I am looking for any excuse I can find to get back over there! Trying to get my employer to send me for business - that would be ideal - on their penny.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that will be fun! Maybe we can go together next year! We'll have to talk about that when we meet next week!

Quick Reply: Europeon Delivery and Break in Period