Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 tt eng oil level..what is correct?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 tt eng oil level..what is correct?

Got oil changed at 10K miles. From day-1 oil level has been 1/32 inch blank on top of indicator in dash, that is, before the lighted marker starts. Manual says this is correct, each level down represents 1/2 qt. Says 8.5 qts limit with filter. Says: Do not overfil, bad things can happen.
Porsche tech says 9.5 qts is correct. Can use between 8.5 and 9.5 qts, but 9.5 is best. Now, however, all areas are filled including the 1/32 inch that was always blank. Tech says that entire display would blink if too full. And too, the tech says manual written before car built and can be incorrect or maybe on the light side of what should be used. Interesting. Seems like a quart is a lot to have a question about. Well anyway, anyone out there ever witness such a problem??Well anyway, for those who like to change their oil...when the oil tank plug was removed oil shot out all over the tech and floor. The engine oil had cooled for about an hour. Atlanta tech says that can happen often.

Last edited by turbojohn; 09-30-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

gimmi my dipstick back!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

^ what he said!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. If you change your own oil (I do) always measure approx oil drained out of car and replace just that amount. Stay 1 qt shy before first measurement and go from there. I like to see 1/2 mark (just did that 2 days ago) then I add the final quart. I would remove some personally because too much oil is a no no. That last line should not be lit (the one above full mark thats much thinner). I like to keep mine at 3/4 and top when its at 1/2. That way if the top (full mark) is lit I know its not by much. Porsche give us back the damn oil stick!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:56 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Thanks but we have to deal with what we have. It's do-able when you have it down...I still want the damn dip stick!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Default Careful, tt-oil can blow all over the place

Originally Posted by gradyex
Ditto. If you change your own oil (I do) always measure approx oil drained out of car and replace just that amount. Stay 1 qt shy before first measurement and go from there. I like to see 1/2 mark (just did that 2 days ago) then I add the final quart. I would remove some personally because too much oil is a no no. That last line should not be lit (the one above full mark thats much thinner). I like to keep mine at 3/4 and top when its at 1/2. That way if the top (full mark) is lit I know its not by much. Porsche give us back the damn oil stick!!!
I'm not sure why I didn't change the oil myself, had the filter wrench, both pan wrenches, the oil and filter and a great Al-frame jack. But Henessey talked me out of it. Had it done in Mobile. $100 labor and a mysterious $32 for topping fluids that they didn't do. Not even sure they checked any fluids. Service writer says they always charge that service cost.

However, back to the 10K miile oil change. The tt had come off some +90m/h 1.5hr driving but had been sitting in the stall for 1-hr. When the tank plug was taken off, oil shot all over including spraying the tech fairly well...oil had now cooled a bit so he didn't get burned. Luckily, I had just left the scene so as not to overly bother the tech. Tech said, that this sort of thing had never happened to him. When I called Henessey service manager, he said it happens often with tts. Something to think about.

When ever
I change oil, the car has been sitting all night. This crap of changing oil when the engine is hot I still think is nonsense. BMW always recommends this. When the oil settles overnight, engine trash has settled, if any settling occurs, and will be washed out as the oil drains. I just think dealers are forced to change oil hot, so that is the recommendation. With these tts, however, best be careful, if that oil is hot, a do-it-yourselver could be burned big time.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:58 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

good heads up, thanks.

Quick Reply: 2007 tt eng oil level..what is correct?