Sponsored by:

1st track day with 997tt@buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts
Wink 1st track day with 997tt@buttonwillow

I have to start by thanking Jack for putting together a great day. And also to Andy for letting me do many lead follow laps. For those of you who know Buttonwillow we ran configuration #13. The 997 turbo is far superior to the 996TT on the track. My car is equipped with ceramic brakes and they were great. I was running with a few Porsches, a few Lotus, and one 997GT3(unfortunately the GT3 leaked out all its coolant after a few hot laps and was finished for the day).

I havent been out on a track for a while so I was taking it easy during the morning sessions. If there was any doubt how the 997TT would perform on the track...that doubt is now gone. The car was relatively easy to drive fast...I found myself picking up speed with every lap. The 997TT is the ultimate daily driver and a terrific performer on the track. Every 997TT should enjoy the experience of taking their car to the track it is EXHILIRATING...I can't wait until the next track day.

Thanks again Jack...see you in October.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

jack ALWAYS puts on a good event.
unfortunately i cannot make it this round.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I have to start by thanking Jack for putting together a great day. And also to Andy for letting me do many lead follow laps. For those of you who know Buttonwillow we ran configuration #13. The 997 turbo is far superior to the 996TT on the track. My car is equipped with ceramic brakes and they were great. I was running with a few Porsches, a few Lotus, and one 997GT3(unfortunately the GT3 leaked out all its coolant after a few hot laps and was finished for the day).

I havent been out on a track for a while so I was taking it easy during the morning sessions. If there was any doubt how the 997TT would perform on the track...that doubt is now gone. The car was relatively easy to drive fast...I found myself picking up speed with every lap. The 997TT is the ultimate daily driver and a terrific performer on the track. Every 997TT should enjoy the experience of taking their car to the track it is EXHILIRATING...I can't wait until the next track day.

Thanks again Jack...see you in October.
Saying that 997TT is far superior to 996TT is a bit far fetched. With these two cars it’s mostly the driver. On the 20.8km Nordschleife track 997TT went round in 7.40 secs and 996TT 7.46. That equates to 997TT being 1.2% faster than 996TT on a nearly 8 minute flat out driving. I would say on an about 2 mile circuit given equal drivers 997TT would pull tenths on the 996TT - no more - which I would not call far superior - a bit better perhaps - and definitely not anywhere near an overtaking possibility. Sorry have to talk up my 996TT.

Last edited by SimonK; 09-13-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
richk
Drifting

Simon

I am a big fan of the 996TT...I had an 02 coupe and an 04 turbo cab. For me it was easier to get a fast lap with the 997TT...overall it feels more balanced, it has more torque, and the ceramic brakes are 1st class.

Rich K
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree, plus it's much more rear biased, far superior to my previous C4S/TT x73 platform at the track( esp WGI).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richk
Simon

I am a big fan of the 996TT...I had an 02 coupe and an 04 turbo cab. For me it was easier to get a fast lap with the 997TT...overall it feels more balanced, it has more torque, and the ceramic brakes are 1st class.

Rich K
I am testing 997TT next week. As you've had both what's your uptake on them if drawing a direct comparison? Not just track. Mine has XP50 option plus Cargraphics exhaust and boost up a notch. So I would say I have about 480-500bhp and similar torque as 997TT stock.

Is this new suspension really that much better? And what's the ride like as wheels are now 19 inch?

Tanx.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Simon I think that you will be impressed with the 997 chassis. Power delivery will be similar but the chassis is what shines. Oh, and the interior is much nicer too.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Rich,

Buttonwillow is a great track, glad you went out for a DE and sorry I wasn't there to join the fun.
It's a shame, as good as Buttonwillow is, that Willowsprings gets a larger attendence from LA people. I loathe Willosprings and if I never drive there again, it will be too soon (the big track.)
-- Never thought I would hate a track, but I really do hate Big Willow.

-- So it's good that you went the extra 20 min. drive to Buttonwillow. It's such a technical track, has a bit of everything, can't wait to get back there.

On another note, should you get the chance to ever drive THUNDERHILL.. It is really worth the trek up north (it's past Sacramento.) -- So far, it's my hands down favorite track in the west and I drive Laguna Seca quite often. I still haven't been to Infineon (Sears Point) though.. I'd like to go there next.

P.S. - Were you driving with your traction control on or off?

B
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by B-Line
Rich,

Buttonwillow is a great track, glad you went out for a DE and sorry I wasn't there to join the fun.
It's a shame, as good as Buttonwillow is, that Willowsprings gets a larger attendence from LA people. I loathe Willosprings and if I never drive there again, it will be too soon (the big track.)
-- Never thought I would hate a track, but I really do hate Big Willow.

-- So it's good that you went the extra 20 min. drive to Buttonwillow. It's such a technical track, has a bit of everything, can't wait to get back there.

On another note, should you get the chance to ever drive THUNDERHILL.. It is really worth the trek up north (it's past Sacramento.) -- So far, it's my hands down favorite track in the west and I drive Laguna Seca quite often. I still haven't been to Infineon (Sears Point) though.. I'd like to go there next.

P.S. - Were you driving with your traction control on or off?

B
once you drive infineon, BW is like the pits.
i still like BW and TH, but infineon is much better... much
Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 AM
richk
Drifting

b line

I drove with the traction on...like I said earlier its been a while since I have been on the track so I was being very careful. My friend Andy who was showing me the lines most of the day did a few hot laps in my car and asked the same question. I agree BW is much more technical than Willow Springs...I think I am hooked.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Mooty, I've heard Infeon is a great track, but I've also heard it's an easy place to wad up your car. Lots of fast turns with big concrete walls. If I'm in my car, I prefer a track with a little run-off, if you know what I mean. Maybe I will try a Jim Russel race there (don't tell my Skippy guys!)

Rich,
I feel you're reasoning. At BW, I always started with the TC on. But after about lap 2 or 3, it kept choking me through the big sweepers and some other turns.. So I had to turn it off.

I race, and my race cars don't have any TC or anything, but still, being in a car with that much power, it's a little scary (and neccessary) to have it off.

B
Old 09-15-2007, 02:49 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by B-Line
Mooty, I've heard Infeon is a great track, but I've also heard it's an easy place to wad up your car.
yes, and perhaps that's part of the challenge.
if you do go off, you WILL hit something. it's just a matter of WHAT you hit.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

The only track I have ever been on so far is WS. I had a great time. What is so bad about it that you hate it so much? What am I missing?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Hey Bigwave,

Lets say, you're starving in the desert and someone hands you a cracker. You might eat it and say, "wow, that's the best damn cracker I've ever eaten. is it extra salty or something?"
My point is, you enjoyed it especially because you were hungry and maybe you even thought it was a special cracker.
Well, lets say, you eat crackers all the time. And this one day, you ate this huge Italian dinner, lots of garlic and fine oils, great pasta, maybe even a piece of tiramosu. Then after dinner, someone hands you the same cracker. Well, of course, said cracker doesn't taste so special anymore.

My point is, any track is a great track when you have never driven before and are hungry to go "racing". But when you have driven many tracks, I think I have driven about 15 tracks, you start to learn what part of high performance driving you really love.

WillowSprings is a VERY FAST track. And it is also a very scary track (if you are driving it aggressively). But it only has 9 turns, doesn't have the personality of tracks like Buttonwillow or Thunderhill or Laguna Seca, which have much more variety in their turns, braking zones, etc. WS is mostly 3rd and 4th gear. I like tracks that make me use a broader range of braking and shifting.

Of the 15 tracks I have driven, 14 of them I would drive again, very happily. I won't even bother going to WS and it's just a stones throw from me.

Again, some people love it because of it's "big *****" speed (turn 8 and turn 9).. It's just, a very un-inspiring track.

B
Old 09-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Thanks for the analogy b-line. I laughed server time out loud on that one. I am sure that I am starving for more and can't wait to do different tracks. Everyone said how scary Willow was supposed to be but I took to it right away. Drifting out of 9 at about 105 and down the straight you go. Which for you could be going easy but was fun for me. Can't wait to eat out again and this time at a different restaurant.

Quick Reply: 1st track day with 997tt@buttonwillow