Sponsored by:

Atlas vs. Basalt Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 PM
tvandegarde
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlas vs. Basalt Black

I have an Oct build date for a 997TT and am trying to decide on the color. I was hoping there would be a factory ipod option for the '08 but that hasn't happened. The other downside is now Atlas is a special color and costs $2400. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money. I'm considering Basalt Black as well which is a standard color. Those with Atlas cars, would you order it again?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

If there is one thing I have learned from my six-months-long (and still ongoing) search for my 997TT color: You MUST see the colors in person and in different lighting conditions.

Neither pictures nor individual opinions are a good guide. They really, really look different in reality from what they look on your computer, and personal preference is a huge, huge factor when determining whether you like a color or not.

My strong advice: Do not order a color you haven't seen in person. For example, when I drove to Dallas to check out Atlas, it looked very different from how I had expected it to look, especially in the direct sunlight that is typical for this region.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

The atlas is beautiful...my parents have an 07 altlas C4S cab.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atlas Grey is a beautiful color. Since Porsche has made it an extra extra cost option for MY08 it will make your TT even rarer.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:10 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Atlas is a very beautiful color as many have stated. But personal preference and how you think it would look and what it really looks like can be vastly different. Go look at Atlas and Basalt in the light first and on a car not a swatch/paint sample on a small area. What might look great on a small sample can be VERY different on an entire car.

Make your choices based on your gut and no on other people's opinion. You will have to live with the loss if you sale it in regret and or drive it and not loving the car because it wasn't exactly what you expected.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 AM
tvandegarde
Intermediate

I've seen both the Atlas and the Basalt Black in person and like them both. My first choice was to get the Atlas but I also think the Basalt looks good too. My current daily driver is a black 5 series so that also makes me lean towards the Atlas for some variety. I'm just a little irritated they made it a special color for MY08.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I like gray as well, I went with Meteor and very happy with the choice. My decision was made when I looked at a 07 S at the dealer in shade and sun light. You have to look at the colors in person, then it's your personal taste which will decide...good luck.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
If there is one thing I have learned from my six-months-long (and still ongoing) search for my 997TT color: You MUST see the colors in person and in different lighting conditions.

Neither pictures nor individual opinions are a good guide. They really, really look different in reality from what they look on your computer, and personal preference is a huge, huge factor when determining whether you like a color or not.

My strong advice: Do not order a color you haven't seen in person. For example, when I drove to Dallas to check out Atlas, it looked very different from how I had expected it to look, especially in the direct sunlight that is typical for this region.
Agree with this. Many colours are very hard to capture in photos. I haven't been awed by a photo of Atlas, but in person, it is stunning. I would not hesitate to go with Atlas and would choose it over Basalt which I personally did not like when I saw it.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

I deliberated on this and in the end went with neither!

Black doesn't show the lines as well as lighter colours, gets swirls in the paint after only a few months and you have to constantly clean it.

Atlas was VERY tempting but an extra $$$$ over what it cost people for MY07 cars - no way.

So I went with colbalt!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Atlas, no question.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Atlas, no question.
Actually I would choose Midnight Blue instead of Atlas as it's a no-cost option that's closest to Atlas.

Saw a midnight blue 997 Turbo at my dealer the other day and I must say it looked great!
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lapis Blue with a tan or light grey interior.PCCB's and yellow belts!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I love midnight!
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2007, 09:10 AM
DAREDVL22
1st Gear

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I joined approx. 2 weeks ago. I made the mistake of driving my friends 06' 911 and I was hooked. I purchased an 05' Carrera S on 8/15. I love the car and it happens to be Atlas Grey. I polished it last weekend with Zaino products and the color looks outstanding! I am very happy I found this car in this particular color. I originally wanted black, but now that I have this color I'm very pleased. Anyway, that's my opinion.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAREDVL22
I'm new to this forum. I joined approx. 2 weeks ago. I purchased an 05' Carrera S on 8/15.
Welcome and congratulations! Now you have to post pictures!

Quick Reply: Atlas vs. Basalt Black