Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still agonizing over color – how about Baltic Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still agonizing over color – how about Baltic Blue?

As of right now, I have Basalt Black on order. But after spending a few days looking at hundreds and hundreds of Porsche pictures on various websites, I’m back considering ‘paint to sample’.

More specifically, I like Baltic Blue (although I have never seen it in real, which is a huge concern; I also haven’t seen a photo of a TT in Baltic Blue).

Basalt:
+ black is simply bad-***
+ will probably never bore me
- does not show curves very well
- hard to keep clean

Baltic:
+ looks more professional [can take car to clients]
+ would be more unique
- looks less sporty
- may bore me sooner or later
- somewhat similar to my current seal grey

Any opinions about - and/or experiences with - Baltic Blue are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first let me say that the green carrera on your page looks great. as far as color, let me tell you that my turbo is guards red with a beige interior. as far as your turbo, no matter what anyone thinks, you have to get the color that you like. i have seen 50 of these threads, where everyone becomes a stylist and an expert on color. the right color for you is the color that you like. black, blue, grey, white, etc. most of them look nice to me. save yourself time-buy the color that looks nice to you.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

it will either look brilliant or like a kia depending on the light...I don't know if baltic would be my choice. I really like blue, but find that cobalt is more my taste. I also saw someone who's got a pearl metallic blue RUF RGT and that was amazing. color was called lake placid blue I believe. what about the ferrari titanium color?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I sympathize. Not happy because my order just got pushed to an October build as a result of no Ruby sample yet. It's on the 'Configurator' for the TT Cabs being shipped now, it's a standard color for '08 starting September, yet there is apparently not a half cup of Ruby paint to spray on a piece of metal and overnight FedEx.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Soulteacher, DrJ is right on, the car is beautiful and you need to wrap it in the color you want to live with and enjoy.

FYI: Have you seen the baltic in person, alot of gold flake in sun light. I liked it , my 993tt was this color.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docjackson1
no matter what anyone thinks, you have to get the color that you like
I totally agree. The thing is, I really just can't make up my mind. Or as a friend told me today: I have CADD (color ADD). I like the basalt, but I also like the baltic. That's what makes it so hard. I like them for different reasons.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it will either look brilliant or like a kia
It does look like a Kia or Hyundai color. That was the first thing that came to my mind, too. I'm not too worried about it, though. I'm just wondering for how long I would like the color and when would it begin to be boring.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I also saw someone who's got a pearl metallic blue RUF RGT and that was amazing. color was called lake placid blue I believe. what about the ferrari titanium color?
Yes, I saw the Ruf (https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...75&postcount=2). I looked at lots and lots of colors... I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to basalt and baltic now.
Originally Posted by Terry Adams
there is apparently not a half cup of Ruby paint to spray on a piece of metal and overnight FedEx.
So you get to see the color on a metal piece before you have to make up your mind? I did not know that.
Originally Posted by whyb2nd
Have you seen the basalt in person, alot of gold flake in sun light.
Yes, I have seen that color on a 997 and like it. It now has silvery flakes instead of the gold flakes on the 993.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Wolfgang - When I see a Black car (P-car or other make) I almost always think "Boring Black." Like wise, if I see a Silver car (P-car or other make) I usually think "Same Old Silver." BTW, no offense intended to Black and Silver P-car owners here. My wife has a Silver MB, which I think is "ho-hum."

Black P-car - a bunch of them out there.
Baltic P-car - very few of them.

When I see on of Dan's (Edgy01) posts, I don't even have to read his name to know it is his post because of his avatar pic. I never get tired or bored with seeing pics of his car. Why is that? Because Dan’s car is "tastefully different" and quite unique.

Relatively speaking, I would become bored with Basalt Black much sooner than with Baltic Blue.
Given these two color choices, the Baltic Blue it would be the "no-brainer" choice for me.

You asked for opinions and now you know mine. As others have said, get what YOU like.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to make things even more confusing for you but have you considered Fountain Blue? I saw one when I visited Porsche in Germany last year and it really was stunning to see in person.

A very elegant color to have.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love that Fountain Blue color above. I would also like Baltic. I think my favorite is the "Azzurro Santa Barbara RUF Cayman" that someone on here has posted pics of. Bottom line is get what you want.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Porsche has some really stunning blues, though I prefer red for a sports car.

Soulteacher, for the samples painted on metal, I meant standard colors. They are hanging on the back wall at my dealer, along with the standard leather samples. Except Ruby Red Metalic

Perhaps you could persuade them to spray a sample of a Paint-to-Sample color, but probably an incredible delay.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I really love the Fountain Blue. IF it was a chioce between Baltic Blue and Fountain Blue, Fountain Blue because it is little "cleaner" looking color. By comparison, Baltic Blue is a little "foggy" looking. Not sure it that description makes any sense.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

fountain looks a lot like polar silver's blue hue. I think with both basalt and any kind of blue, but especially baltic- you'll be in the non-common color zone, which is great because your car will be that much different than everyone elses. When you go to a P-car meet up with a baltic blue one, it will definitely be the only 997 with that color
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Baltic! It's a classic Porsche color.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

I hate you guys - as if I wasn't indecisive enough already. I really like the fountain blue.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Still agonizing over color – how about Baltic Blue?