Sponsored by:

Multifunction Wheel - Porsche or Techart

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Multifunction Wheel - Porsche or Techart

I'm having a hard time figuring out the multifunction wheel. I like the look and size of the standard wheel. For $310, the thicker leather sport wheel would be about as perfect a wheel as I would want - with the exception of not having the multifunction buttons. The thicker leather, multifunction wheel comes out to $1160, but it's a larger diameter wheel. Techart has a wheel that looks like the sport wheel with multifunction features, which would be a good alternative.

Is the techart worth it and can I install it myself? I know I would need to order the multifunction wheel ($250) from Porsche to get the techart to work. Also, would I need a different airbag module to fit the techart sport-type wheel because of the hub difference as compared to the stock wheel?

Or should I just get the Porsche wheel?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 942 Likes on 570 Posts

I am leaning toward the Porsche thicker leather, multifunction wheel for $1160. It comes installed and I know it works. I hope it is just a couple mm larger only due to the extra thickness. The thought of dismounting and remounting a 3d party wheel with all that multi function makes me nervous.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 160 Likes on 82 Posts

Or just forget about the multi function. I have just the plain, old, "thicker steering wheel" and I love it. Not for a second do I miss having multi functions on it. The car is small enough that the radio and nav, etc. are right at your fingertips anyway.

B
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
cannga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at/measured and "felt" all the wheels that you are talking about. I think this is a critical option as it's what you touch every second driving this car.

AFAIK, no you do not need to get new airbag module with Techart replacement wheel. They have replacement model for either the Sports (round hub) or Multifunction (triangular hub) wheel, without need for airbag modification.

That said, be careful about the Techart wheel. It is VERY thick, much thicker than even the thicker OEM Porsche Sports wheel. A lot of people love it, but it is a matter of personal taste/preference/fitness, and I don't like it at all. It is too thick for my perhaps smaller than average hands, and I somehow think some finer feel/control for the wheel is lost because of this.

On another issue of personal preference, are you sure you must have the multifunction option? I ask this because I think the thick Sports wheel provides the best feel/fitting for most people, and it has thumb rests that the MF wheel doesn't. This wheel is on the GT3 and GT3 RS, and as my salesperson told me, it's the wheel *Porsche* wants you to use. Just kidding, but the guy has a point.

I do not think the multifuntion option adds much to the driving comfort/enjoyment/convenience of this car. For one the center controls are so close already. But again, I do realize YMMV on this issue.

The best of both worlds would be the thicker Sports OEM wheel WITH multifunction. But Porsche is not offering one.

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I'm having a hard time figuring out the multifunction wheel. I like the look and size of the standard wheel. For $310, the thicker leather sport wheel would be about as perfect a wheel as I would want - with the exception of not having the multifunction buttons. The thicker leather, multifunction wheel comes out to $1160, but it's a larger diameter wheel. Techart has a wheel that looks like the sport wheel with multifunction features, which would be a good alternative.

Is the techart worth it and can I install it myself? I know I would need to order the multifunction wheel ($250) from Porsche to get the techart to work. Also, would I need a different airbag module to fit the techart sport-type wheel because of the hub difference as compared to the stock wheel?

Last edited by cannga; 07-08-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
cannga
Instructor

As mentioned in my previous post, the other significant difference is that the MF wheel does NOT have the thumb rests at 2 and 10 o'clock. There is a thread on, LOL & no kidding , the best way to hold and handle steering wheel on rennteam a while ago. If you were to believe the poster, then you wouldn't want to miss the thumb rests . I am typing this tongue in cheek here, but seriously, they put them there for a reason.

When I measured "unofficially" with my tape ruler (i.e. not guaranteed to be 100% accurate), the MF wheel (besides having thinner rim--bad) is only about 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the Sports wheel. However, the interesting thing is that it looks and feels much larger than a 1/4 inch increase would have you believed.

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I am leaning toward the Porsche thicker leather, multifunction wheel for $1160. It comes installed and I know it works. I hope it is just a couple mm larger only due to the extra thickness. The thought of dismounting and remounting a 3d party wheel with all that multi function makes me nervous.

Last edited by cannga; 07-08-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Seriously in rethink mode here. Very helpful comments in the absence of real examples on the showroom floor.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 PM
cannga
Instructor

Hello Terry,

You might want to go to the dealer and see/feel for yourself what I wrote. Your car and mine appear to be built at the same time (October delivery), and my dealer tells me that since Porsche takes a vacation in August, they *might* lock September car early. He told me to make sure all orders are in by July 10 or so, to be on the really safe side. So you might want to make a decision soon on this one. If you are deciding to go with the standard Sports (round hub) wheel, do **REMEMBER** to add option XPA to make it thick.

As far as the MF wheel, I have a couple of personal "data points." On my Lexus, I find them unnecessary. But I know, it's not the same car, and there are those who can't be without them. My friend has the MF Porsche wheel, and from my secret observation of him driving , the only time he uses those MF buttons is to increase the size of the navigation map, i.e. rarely.

And finally, yes when I drive my 997, I do place hands at 2 and 10 and thumbs dutifully on the thumb rests.

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Seriously in rethink mode here. Very helpful comments in the absence of real examples on the showroom floor.
OT: There is a very good discussion of PCCB in the GT forum that I think you will enjoy reading. For the record, I am keeping my PCCB. So pretty!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/362137-ceramic-vs-steel-braking-distance.html
Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 PM
golfguy
Racer

Go with the MF steering wheel only if:

- you have the phone option
- you like the look of the MF airbag better than the round airbag cap

Originally Posted by Dr. G

Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

I have the multifunction wheel in my C2S with the phone option. I decided to order the thicker sport wheel and leave out the multifunction on my TT order. Although it's convenient for the phone, the selector stalk on the left below the turn signal stalk is just as convenient. The other buttons dfo not add much functionality...such as not advancing preset radio stations with a push button, etc.

Plus, the phone in Chicagoland kinda sucks since it's only a tri-band GSM phone.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:20 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

The thicker XPA sports non-multi function wheel in my TT and GT3 feel very, very nice. I don't miss having MF buttons at all, especially with the PCM console so close anyway. I figure since I am already working the shifter, I'm already in the vicinity 90% of the time anyway
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

I just went to the dealer to try one of each behind the wheel. I changed my steering wheel order to XPA Thicker Steering Wheel Leather.
Originally Posted by B-Line
Or just forget about the multi function. I have just the plain, old, "thicker steering wheel" and I love it. Not for a second do I miss having multi functions on it. The car is small enough that the radio and nav, etc. are right at your fingertips anyway.B
Right, and the plethora of buttons on the Tip MF wheel is overwhelming.

Thanks much to all you guys for "steering" me in the right direction.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 520 Posts

It's amazing. The multifunction wheel on my audi A6 has thumb rests. I can't figure out why Porsche wouldn't have the same. Oh, and also why the multifunction wheel costs $250, but it's an additional $910 for the thicker option when it's only $310 on the stock wheel.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 PM
MMD
Banned

My two cents. I have thicker wheel in my M3, stock wheel in 997S. I can't understand why guys like that thicker wheel!

It feels like I'm handicapped or arthritic when grabbing the thicker wheel. For me the sensation of the thinner wheel comes with a _feeling_ of greater precision.

Sounds like thicker wheel is a fad. Sorry. Just telling y'all what I think; I could be waaaaay off.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM
cannga
Instructor

Hello MMD,

I know what you mean and have similar concern with wheels that are too thick.

That said, the thicker Porsche steering wheel is NOT that much thicker than its standard version, and nowhere near the level of after-market wheels. In fact even with the 2 cars next to each other, one with thick the other standard, I had a hard time telling the difference by just looking. Only by handling the wheel then I could tell a difference, and to me the thicker one was perfect, neither too thin (Multifuntion wheel) nor too thick (Techart wheel).

As mentioned, I think my hands are smaller than average (5'7") and if it doesn't feel too big for me, it shouldn't be so for most people.

Re. arthritis, don't mean to be nit picking, but IMO it's the too-thin wheel that will be hard for old people with arthritis. Not to imply either of these 2 conditions applied to you.

Originally Posted by MMD
My two cents. I have thicker wheel in my M3, stock wheel in 997S. I can't understand why guys like that thicker wheel!

It feels like I'm handicapped or arthritic when grabbing the thicker wheel. For me the sensation of the thinner wheel comes with a _feeling_ of greater precision.

Sounds like thicker wheel is a fad. Sorry. Just telling y'all what I think; I could be waaaaay off.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you convert the multifunction wheel to the sport wheel? Of course you have to buy the airbag and wheel, but is it okay to leave the electronics disconnected?

I have a car I'd like to convert.

Quick Reply: Multifunction Wheel - Porsche or Techart